by Benedikt Herudek
Blockchains are commonly compared to databases, for obvious reasons as they store transactions. However, one could just as well understand them as a middleware connecting endpoints via permanently stored transactions. Bitcoin works as a technology to exchange currency, which is a specific and simple form of parties exchanging information. If we could generalise and extend this notion of information, we would be able to build a decentralized middleware.
One hope one could connect to such a middleware would be that technologically and organizationally, it would leave no room for one data monopolist (Facebook, Uber, Airbnb et al) to mediate transactions and take too large of a cut. Just like bitcoin takes out banks from the middle – man position, a distributed middleware allowing exchange of any type of information (not just currency), might be able achieving something similar.
This post will not describe how such a Blockchain-ish’ distributed middleware could be implemented, one high level attempt can be found here. The attempt goes at great length attempting to avoid standards for data exchange formats.
Take Facebook as an example. Arguably, the main service a platform like Facebook offers is that it structures conversation such into one data format, that all on the platform can converse with each other. Imagine, we magically had a ‘machine babelfish’ that would allow applications to seamlessly converse with each other over the internet. A net we could image then would consist of many small to medium to large private Facebook-alikes, which might offer similar or different features but also would allow its members to talk to any other Facebook-alike in the net. If such a ‘machine babelfish’ existed, there would be no need for users to subscribe to Facebook. Users might stick with Facebook, but they might just as well prefer a Facebook-alike , where they might find some desired features, e.g. data protection and privacy or simple the colour of a button on the UI. The same argumentation would go for any trading platform: if small platforms could connect seamlessly, there would be no need for one Uber or Airbnb platform to unify them all to allow them to communicate and trade. We would have many small/ medium / large Ubers talking to each other and allowing members on those platforms to trade with users on another uber like platform. Features for specific user groups could out compete a ‘one size fits all’ approach, as long as these parties would be willing to connect to such a middleware, which all but the 1-2-3 biggest players would be.
We will call such a System a DAM (Distributed Autonomous Middleware), it would need to meet the following features:
- Shared infrastructure, rendered by network members incentivised by System tokens
- Ability to ‘log’ transactions in an immutable Blockchain
- Distributed Autonomous Organization maintaining code and deciding on a.o. fees
- Open Access, allowing anyone can connect.
- Ability to cryptographically secure and obfuscate data
- Economically viable for those providing the infrastructure, Miners in Bitcoin
- Appropriate Services (throughput, performance) to exchange information between Systems for users
- Any Application information can be exchanged
- There are no or hardly no fixed data format exchange standards
Points (1) – (7) can be found in one or other way in Bitcoin or the Bitcoin eco system. Of course, using these features for a real–live middleware requires some serious thoughts, a.o. around throughput and performance.
For a middleware connecting any application for any information exchange obvious (8) is an obvious demand – but complex: there is a myriad of use cases for applications communicating and even for one and the same use case, one can choose all kinds data format, be it an xml standard, a csv file, a binary format or any custom format.
So, shouldn’t we just have an industry standard, a consortium or board, where we have all parties discussing and agreeing on data formats ? Maybe we need Linux Foundation to come with some kinds of Blockchain Transaction standard for all these heterogeneous use cases. Possible & proven – but the problem with standards is that they tend to be inflexible, in need of maintenance and sometimes have a tendency to ossify. The moment you have a consortium board you at least have the risk of those getting hi-jacked by large players. This is not a necessity, but ideally a truly decentralised platform would rule out this possibility on the technology layer already (9) and be flexible enough to allow for any data exchange format.
It remains to be seen, if such a System could be built. There don’t seem to be reasons in principle, why this wouldn’t be possible. But it certainly would be a challenge to avoid standards or at least make the System very resistant against ossifying standards and a potentially resulting undesired power structure. One of the benefits of a decentralised autonomous Middleware would be that it could do to some large data monopolists what bitcoin tries to do the banks.
- From the Creator of ICOs – J.R. Willett Designs Uptoken – To Accelerate Expansion Of Global Crypto ATM Network - September 23, 2017
- Art Provenance Platform ARTEX Launching Token Sale - September 23, 2017
- Students Train for Blockchain Jobs at Coding and Cryptocurrencies Summer Course in Greece - September 23, 2017
- Central Banks are Trialling Blockchain, Cambridge Study Shows - September 23, 2017
- Blockchain Conquering Esports Industry - September 22, 2017
- Russian-based Startup LavkaLavka Plan to Disrupt Global Eco Farming and Organic Food Retail Sector with BioCoin - September 22, 2017
- Slack Out, Rocket.chat In – Blockchain Community Leaders Aragon Lead Industry Exodus Amid Marked Increase In Phishing Scams - September 22, 2017
- Swiss Supply Chain Startup AMBROSUS Launches Token Generation Event - September 22, 2017
- Codemojo (Backed by PayPal Incubator) is launching its ICO to Mobilize $360 Bn worth of Reward Points Globally - September 22, 2017
- Investment into Blockchain start-ups set to hit $3bn in 2017 - September 22, 2017
- Opporty Announces ICO and Token Sale Starting October 18th 2017 - September 21, 2017
- Medicalchain To Speak At The Upcoming Financial Times Digital Health Summit On Oct. 12, 2017 - September 21, 2017
- Adel Will Upgrade Its Blockchain Incubator Using Jelurida’s Latest Technology - September 21, 2017
- Etch Foundation Announce Token Sale - September 21, 2017
- Jamie Foxx dives into cryptocurrency – invests in COBINHOOD - September 21, 2017
- New Creditinfo App and Services Utilize Blockchain-Based ShoCard Identity Platform to Maximize User Privacy while Authenticating Credit Report Data - September 21, 2017
- Disruptive Truck-Sharing Company Doft Sells Doftcoins to Truckers, 3PLs and Freight Shippers with 50% discount during Pre-ICO - September 21, 2017
- Carnegie Mellon University and BitClave partner to improve the search experience - September 21, 2017
- Darfchain Successfully Implements Its Distributed Erp System Encompassing Odoo, Bigchaindb And Ethereum Technology - September 21, 2017
- ASX-Listed iCandy Interactive Limited Announces Backing For Independent Blockchain Based Crypto-Currency “Project Nitro” To Support And Democratize Game Development - September 21, 2017
- Ethereum Co-founder Anthony Di Iorio Joins BlockMason as Advisor - September 20, 2017
- Nuggets Announces Token Sale for Revolutionary Blockchain Platform for Secure Private Payments and ID Verification - September 20, 2017
- Preeminent Investor & CNBC Contributor BRIAN KELLY Joins Veridium Labs Board of Advisors - September 20, 2017
- Dragonchain, Originally Developed at Disney, Announces October 2nd Token Sale To Bring The Power Of Blockchain Technology To Business - September 20, 2017
- Social Payments App Moneymailme Announces Development Of A New Blockchain Platform Called Modex Marketplace - September 20, 2017
- Blockchain-Fuelled Public Opinion Poll Startup ClearPoll Announce Presale - September 20, 2017
- SmartOne Launches Legal Solution for Crypto Community – Announce LEGAL Tokens - September 19, 2017
- HydroMiner Announces ICO and First Token Sale Starting September 25th 2017 - September 19, 2017
- LEVERJ AnnouncesFully Functional, Non-Custodial Cryptocurrency Derivatives Trading Platform - September 19, 2017
- DataBroker DAO, a Decentralised Marketplace for IoT Sensor Data, Token Sale Is Live - September 19, 2017
- Poseidon Brings Value To Nature Through Carbon Blockchain Technology - September 19, 2017
- Options and Futures on the Blockchain Board of Derivatives. PRE-SALE begins on 22th September at 8AM GMT. - September 18, 2017
- Blockchain-based Digital Advertising Ecosystem Papyrus to Launch Token Generation Event on 12 October - September 18, 2017
- Propy Raises $15 Million in ICO to Decentralize Real Estate Sales and Attract Foreign Investors - September 18, 2017
- The Financial Commission Issues Certification of the Genesis Vision ICO - September 18, 2017
- Blockchain Industry and Regulatory Leaders Launch Token Alliance - September 18, 2017
- PayPie Challenges Experian, Equifax and TransUnion Status Quo with the World’s First Ethereum Blockchain-Based Credit Risk Assessment - September 18, 2017
- YouNow Announces the PROPS Ecosystem, Brings Cryptocurrency to Mobile Video - September 18, 2017
- Dash Grows in Accessibility; Listed on London Digital Asset Exchange and Broker Dash partners with CEX.IO - September 18, 2017
- Qtum Ignition Tackles Scalability with First Decentralized Governance Protocol - September 18, 2017
- The Grant Hero Foundation Aims to Disrupt the Non-Profit Industry with the GIVE Coin Using Ethereum Blockchain Technology - September 18, 2017
- Trippki Announces Hotel Booking and Rewards Platform to Simplify & Monetize Traveling - September 18, 2017
- Democratic Cryptocurrency Exchange Mandarin.top launches ICO - September 18, 2017
- Talla Launches Botchain, a Blockchain-Based Platform for Ensuring Certainty and Security in A.I. Autonomous Agents for Business - September 18, 2017
- NXT Blockchain Announces Big Changes for Voting, Money Transfer and More - September 17, 2017
- Swirlds Raises $3M Seed Round to Bring Improved Performance, Security to Distributed Ledger Applications - September 17, 2017
- ICOBox Token Sale Tops 3933 BTC For New and Existing ICOs - September 17, 2017
- 21 Thousand People Contribute To Kybernetwork As Company Reports ‘Smooth’ ICO - September 16, 2017
- Arna Genomics Introduces A Revolutionary Solution For Cancer Diagnostics And Treatment Biotechnologies – Blockchain Ecosystem Arna Panacea. - September 14, 2017
- Vietnam’s largest smart vending machine operator Dropfoods plans to raise US$9 mil through Initial Coin Offering (ICO) - September 13, 2017