by Benedikt Herudek
Blockchains are commonly compared to databases, for obvious reasons as they store transactions. However, one could just as well understand them as a middleware connecting endpoints via permanently stored transactions. Bitcoin works as a technology to exchange currency, which is a specific and simple form of parties exchanging information. If we could generalise and extend this notion of information, we would be able to build a decentralized middleware.
One hope one could connect to such a middleware would be that technologically and organizationally, it would leave no room for one data monopolist (Facebook, Uber, Airbnb et al) to mediate transactions and take too large of a cut. Just like bitcoin takes out banks from the middle – man position, a distributed middleware allowing exchange of any type of information (not just currency), might be able achieving something similar.
This post will not describe how such a Blockchain-ish’ distributed middleware could be implemented, one high level attempt can be found here. The attempt goes at great length attempting to avoid standards for data exchange formats.
Take Facebook as an example. Arguably, the main service a platform like Facebook offers is that it structures conversation such into one data format, that all on the platform can converse with each other. Imagine, we magically had a ‘machine babelfish’ that would allow applications to seamlessly converse with each other over the internet. A net we could image then would consist of many small to medium to large private Facebook-alikes, which might offer similar or different features but also would allow its members to talk to any other Facebook-alike in the net. If such a ‘machine babelfish’ existed, there would be no need for users to subscribe to Facebook. Users might stick with Facebook, but they might just as well prefer a Facebook-alike , where they might find some desired features, e.g. data protection and privacy or simple the colour of a button on the UI. The same argumentation would go for any trading platform: if small platforms could connect seamlessly, there would be no need for one Uber or Airbnb platform to unify them all to allow them to communicate and trade. We would have many small/ medium / large Ubers talking to each other and allowing members on those platforms to trade with users on another uber like platform. Features for specific user groups could out compete a ‘one size fits all’ approach, as long as these parties would be willing to connect to such a middleware, which all but the 1-2-3 biggest players would be.
We will call such a System a DAM (Distributed Autonomous Middleware), it would need to meet the following features:
- Shared infrastructure, rendered by network members incentivised by System tokens
- Ability to ‘log’ transactions in an immutable Blockchain
- Distributed Autonomous Organization maintaining code and deciding on a.o. fees
- Open Access, allowing anyone can connect.
- Ability to cryptographically secure and obfuscate data
- Economically viable for those providing the infrastructure, Miners in Bitcoin
- Appropriate Services (throughput, performance) to exchange information between Systems for users
- Any Application information can be exchanged
- There are no or hardly no fixed data format exchange standards
Points (1) – (7) can be found in one or other way in Bitcoin or the Bitcoin eco system. Of course, using these features for a real–live middleware requires some serious thoughts, a.o. around throughput and performance.
For a middleware connecting any application for any information exchange obvious (8) is an obvious demand – but complex: there is a myriad of use cases for applications communicating and even for one and the same use case, one can choose all kinds data format, be it an xml standard, a csv file, a binary format or any custom format.
So, shouldn’t we just have an industry standard, a consortium or board, where we have all parties discussing and agreeing on data formats ? Maybe we need Linux Foundation to come with some kinds of Blockchain Transaction standard for all these heterogeneous use cases. Possible & proven – but the problem with standards is that they tend to be inflexible, in need of maintenance and sometimes have a tendency to ossify. The moment you have a consortium board you at least have the risk of those getting hi-jacked by large players. This is not a necessity, but ideally a truly decentralised platform would rule out this possibility on the technology layer already (9) and be flexible enough to allow for any data exchange format.
It remains to be seen, if such a System could be built. There don’t seem to be reasons in principle, why this wouldn’t be possible. But it certainly would be a challenge to avoid standards or at least make the System very resistant against ossifying standards and a potentially resulting undesired power structure. One of the benefits of a decentralised autonomous Middleware would be that it could do to some large data monopolists what bitcoin tries to do the banks.
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 20, 2017
- Pundi X integrates NEM blockchain to Bring Cryptocurrency Payments Into Retail Stores - November 20, 2017
- Fujitsu Develops Security Technology to Safely Connect Blockchains - November 20, 2017
- Jibrel Network Announces a Highly Successful Pre-sale Round - November 20, 2017
- KRAFTWERK on Blockchain - November 20, 2017
- MintHealth: Empowering Patients to Take Control of their Health and Data via Blockchain Technology - November 20, 2017
- IBM Completes PoC Of Blockchain-based Shared KYC With Deutsche Bank, HSBC, MUFG And Cargill, IBM Treasuries - November 20, 2017
- LetsEnhance.io to process images on Neuromation Platform - November 20, 2017
- Blockchain And AI Researchers Propose A New Model To Return The Control Over Human Life Data To The Patients And Accelerate Biomedical Research - November 20, 2017
- Storiqa Makes Cryptocurrency Closer To The World – Usual E-shop With A Few Peculiarities For Unusual Currency - November 17, 2017
- American Express Cuts Deal with Ripplenet – Giving Visibility and Speed to Global Commercial Payments - November 16, 2017
- CapLinked Named One of 20 Most Promising Collaboration Technology Providers By CIO - November 16, 2017
- Global Blockchain Technologies Corp. Announces $20M Fund to Invest in Steem SMTs - November 16, 2017
- Augmate Announces First IoT Device Management Platform Using Distributed Ledgers - November 16, 2017
- BitDegree Teams up with Zcoin to Develop Cryptography Course - November 16, 2017
- With Backing from the Biggest Poker Names, CoinPoker Launches Pre-ICO - November 15, 2017
- Jeff Garzik – Metronome GitHub is now public - November 14, 2017
- Livestreaming Pioneer YouNow Doubles Down on Decentralization with Storj Labs Partnership - November 14, 2017
- OriginTrail – Winner of Walmart 2017 Food Safety Innovation Award Announces Presale - November 14, 2017
- Revain Announces Release Of The First Test Version Of The Platform - November 13, 2017
- PikcioChain Receives Huge Pre-ICO Boost by Winning a Place on BNP Paribas’ Fintech Accelerator - November 13, 2017
- Fluree PBC Launches FlureeDB — Scalable, Blockchain Cloud Database - November 13, 2017
- CoinTracking – The Personal Portfolio Monitoring Tool and Tax Tracker for Digital Currencies - November 13, 2017
- OTC Exchange Network Announces that DMALINK has Joined their Early Adopter Program OTC Exchange Network Announces that DMALINK has Joined their Early Adopter Program - November 13, 2017
- Leondrino Exchange, Issuer of Digital Branded Currencies, Announces Its Own Digital Currency XLEOLeondrino Exchange, Issuer of Digital Branded Currencies, Announces Its Own Digital Currency XLEO - November 13, 2017
- Blockchain Executive and Cryptocurrency Investor David Drake joins eSport and Gaming platform Play2Live Advisory Board - November 13, 2017
- UHUB.IO Seeks to Bring Their Decentralized E-commerce Platform to Life - November 13, 2017
- Eidoo Hits 100,000 Downloads As Cryptocurrency Customers Seek A Simpler Way To Store And Use Their Assets - November 13, 2017
- Ethereum Goes to Hollywood – Award-Winning Crypto Film Project Premieres in Hollywood - November 13, 2017
- Santa Claus Is Moving To Blockchain! Bye, Bye Chimney! - November 13, 2017
- Safinus Platform Wants to Unite Investors and Traders in One Place - November 13, 2017
- Exscudo Uses Multisignature Technology To Protect User Accounts - November 13, 2017
- Lykke To Support ERC20 Tokens In Latest Lykke Wallet Release - November 13, 2017
- Can Blockchain Revolutionise The Third Sector? Introducing The World’s First Recycling Intiative - November 13, 2017
- JBOX Announces Initial Coin Offering for Blockchain-Powered Decentralized Video Platform - November 13, 2017
- Perkins Coie Selected as a Founding Steward in Self-Sovereign Identity Network - November 13, 2017
- Waves Claims it Will Become the Fastest Blockchain Platform in the World - November 13, 2017
- Binary.com Announces ICO - November 13, 2017
- Finova Financial Announces The JOBS Crypto Offering (JCO): A Path To A Regulated Public Securities Offering for Non-Accredited Investors Using Cryptocurrency - November 13, 2017
- Dash Transactions Now 215 Times Cheaper Than Bitcoin After New Network Upgrade - November 13, 2017
- Tech Bureau’s mijin Opens Applications for Powerful New Enterprise Blockchain - November 13, 2017
- Human Discovery Platform Launches Token Sale to Build the Largest Storage of Human Behavior Powered by Blockchain - November 13, 2017
- CarFix Will Repair Your Vehicle For A Fraction Of The Price, With Help From The Ethereum Blockchain - November 13, 2017
- Neufund, Receives 10M Euro In Funding To Create ‘Equity Token’ - November 13, 2017
- Beenest Begins Decentralized Future For Short-term Housing Rentals - November 13, 2017
- CanYa Wants to Eliminate Crypto Volatility within Online Gig Economy Marketplace - November 13, 2017
- Allianz Pioneers Blockchain Prototype for the Captive Insurance Market - November 13, 2017
- Third Generation Cryptocurrency SkyCoin Aims to Shake up the Market - November 7, 2017
- DAO PlayMarket 2.0 – a New Era of Mobile Applications - November 7, 2017
- The International Scientific and Practical Association Jus Naturale – The first NGO with Blockchain-Based Membership - November 7, 2017