The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has recently pushed out a staff discussion note called “Fintech and Financial Services: Initial Considerations” which provides a wealth of detail in how the organisation takes view on the current rise of cryptocurrencies.
The IMF paper focusses largely on the role DLT can play in cross-border payments and ends on the role that the organisation feels they can play on a global scale to coordinate and regulate digital assets, largely, it appears, by supporting the role of central banks in their quest for creating their own CBDCs and assisting in designing the future regulatory environment.
In other words, push current private cryptocurrencies into a subservient role and let central banks take control:
“The introduction and potential proliferation of private virtual currencies might, in one view, threaten to erode the demand for central bank money and the transmission mechanism of monetary policy. A CBDC may forestall such private virtual currencies or relegate them to a secondary role in the payments system. This threat is not imminent given the current transactions domain and limitations of existing private virtual currencies and their likely medium-term growth. Stability and safety considerations connected to this proliferation may, however, be relevant in the medium run but could presumably be dealt with by other measures.”
The key findings include the following:
- Boundaries are blurring among intermediaries, markets, and new service providers.
- Barriers to entry are changing, being lowered in some cases but increased in others, especially if the emergence of large closed networks reduces opportunities for competition.
- Trust remains essential, even as there is less reliance on traditional financial intermediaries, and more on networks and new types of service providers.
- Technologies may improve cross-border payments, including by offering better and cheaper
services, and lowering the cost of compliance with anti-money laundering and combating the financing of terrorism (AML/CFT) regulation.
The international organisation also calls for jurisdictions to revise rules governing ownership and contractual rights and obligations when it comes to digital assets.
“DLT records the transfer of ownership of “digital tokens,” which are essentially units in a ledger. They can either have intrinsic value themselves (an “intrinsic token” like Bitcoin), or be digital representations of a physical or digital asset that exists outside the ledger (an “asset-based token” representing an interest in another asset such as securities). The legal status of a digital token, and the legal effect of its transfer are not clear. For example, would the transfer of an asset-backed token (e.g., representing a security) on a ledger transfer legal ownership of the security or would registration outside the ledger (e.g., in a corporate share registry) still be required? Jurisdictions are trying to develop answers to these questions but country practice varies. The resolution of these questions is crucial for the economy to function and will require more thought by policymakers.”
The IMF paper notes that:
” …in their current form, virtual currencies are not likely to be adequate stores of value given the volatility in their exchange rates to fiat money. This same volatility would undermine hub-and-spoke networks, as two “foreign exchange rate” conversions are needed: when the token is acquired, and when it is sold. Even if the virtual currency is held for very short periods, the transaction involves foreign exchange rate risk. FX risk could potentially be hedged, although costs could then rival those of correspondent bank transfers.”
The paper adds a Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC) might resolve the coordination problem over new virtual currencies, and could lead to even more technological innovation. But adds that it might allow the central bank to retain control of monetary policy effectiveness, in case privately-issued virtual currencies started to gain significant ground.
A DLT-based CBDC could also be more secure and resilient than current settlement systems which are exposed to single point of failure risk. Finally, by facilitating small value payments, it could boost the adoption and efficiency of the new, decentralized, service economy. However, CBDCs raise multiple potential costs and risks, such as managing the platform and its integrity, resolving scalability, and dealing with issues of privacy.
Read paper in full here.
- AB-CHAIN’s Cryptocurrency Makes Advertising Easy - September 25, 2017
- Gibraltar Jumps on Regulatory Bandwagon – Issues Consumer Warning on ICOs – Token Sales – But Gives Green Light - September 24, 2017
- From the Creator of ICOs – J.R. Willett Designs Uptoken – To Accelerate Expansion Of Global Crypto ATM Network - September 23, 2017
- Art Provenance Platform ARTEX Launching Token Sale - September 23, 2017
- Students Train for Blockchain Jobs at Coding and Cryptocurrencies Summer Course in Greece - September 23, 2017
- Central Banks are Trialling Blockchain, Cambridge Study Shows - September 23, 2017
- Blockchain Conquering Esports Industry - September 22, 2017
- Russian-based Startup LavkaLavka Plan to Disrupt Global Eco Farming and Organic Food Retail Sector with BioCoin - September 22, 2017
- Slack Out, Rocket.chat In – Blockchain Community Leaders Aragon Lead Industry Exodus Amid Marked Increase In Phishing Scams - September 22, 2017
- Swiss Supply Chain Startup AMBROSUS Launches Token Generation Event - September 22, 2017
- Codemojo (Backed by PayPal Incubator) is launching its ICO to Mobilize $360 Bn worth of Reward Points Globally - September 22, 2017
- Investment into Blockchain start-ups set to hit $3bn in 2017 - September 22, 2017
- Opporty Announces ICO and Token Sale Starting October 18th 2017 - September 21, 2017
- Medicalchain To Speak At The Upcoming Financial Times Digital Health Summit On Oct. 12, 2017 - September 21, 2017
- Adel Will Upgrade Its Blockchain Incubator Using Jelurida’s Latest Technology - September 21, 2017
- Etch Foundation Announce Token Sale - September 21, 2017
- Jamie Foxx dives into cryptocurrency – invests in COBINHOOD - September 21, 2017
- New Creditinfo App and Services Utilize Blockchain-Based ShoCard Identity Platform to Maximize User Privacy while Authenticating Credit Report Data - September 21, 2017
- Disruptive Truck-Sharing Company Doft Sells Doftcoins to Truckers, 3PLs and Freight Shippers with 50% discount during Pre-ICO - September 21, 2017
- Carnegie Mellon University and BitClave partner to improve the search experience - September 21, 2017
- Darfchain Successfully Implements Its Distributed Erp System Encompassing Odoo, Bigchaindb And Ethereum Technology - September 21, 2017
- ASX-Listed iCandy Interactive Limited Announces Backing For Independent Blockchain Based Crypto-Currency “Project Nitro” To Support And Democratize Game Development - September 21, 2017
- Ethereum Co-founder Anthony Di Iorio Joins BlockMason as Advisor - September 20, 2017
- Nuggets Announces Token Sale for Revolutionary Blockchain Platform for Secure Private Payments and ID Verification - September 20, 2017
- Preeminent Investor & CNBC Contributor BRIAN KELLY Joins Veridium Labs Board of Advisors - September 20, 2017
- Dragonchain, Originally Developed at Disney, Announces October 2nd Token Sale To Bring The Power Of Blockchain Technology To Business - September 20, 2017
- Social Payments App Moneymailme Announces Development Of A New Blockchain Platform Called Modex Marketplace - September 20, 2017
- Blockchain-Fuelled Public Opinion Poll Startup ClearPoll Announce Presale - September 20, 2017
- SmartOne Launches Legal Solution for Crypto Community – Announce LEGAL Tokens - September 19, 2017
- HydroMiner Announces ICO and First Token Sale Starting September 25th 2017 - September 19, 2017
- LEVERJ AnnouncesFully Functional, Non-Custodial Cryptocurrency Derivatives Trading Platform - September 19, 2017
- DataBroker DAO, a Decentralised Marketplace for IoT Sensor Data, Token Sale Is Live - September 19, 2017
- Poseidon Brings Value To Nature Through Carbon Blockchain Technology - September 19, 2017
- Options and Futures on the Blockchain Board of Derivatives. PRE-SALE begins on 22th September at 8AM GMT. - September 18, 2017
- Blockchain-based Digital Advertising Ecosystem Papyrus to Launch Token Generation Event on 12 October - September 18, 2017
- Propy Raises $15 Million in ICO to Decentralize Real Estate Sales and Attract Foreign Investors - September 18, 2017
- The Financial Commission Issues Certification of the Genesis Vision ICO - September 18, 2017
- Blockchain Industry and Regulatory Leaders Launch Token Alliance - September 18, 2017
- PayPie Challenges Experian, Equifax and TransUnion Status Quo with the World’s First Ethereum Blockchain-Based Credit Risk Assessment - September 18, 2017
- YouNow Announces the PROPS Ecosystem, Brings Cryptocurrency to Mobile Video - September 18, 2017
- Dash Grows in Accessibility; Listed on London Digital Asset Exchange and Broker Dash partners with CEX.IO - September 18, 2017
- Qtum Ignition Tackles Scalability with First Decentralized Governance Protocol - September 18, 2017
- The Grant Hero Foundation Aims to Disrupt the Non-Profit Industry with the GIVE Coin Using Ethereum Blockchain Technology - September 18, 2017
- Trippki Announces Hotel Booking and Rewards Platform to Simplify & Monetize Traveling - September 18, 2017
- Democratic Cryptocurrency Exchange Mandarin.top launches ICO - September 18, 2017
- Talla Launches Botchain, a Blockchain-Based Platform for Ensuring Certainty and Security in A.I. Autonomous Agents for Business - September 18, 2017
- NXT Blockchain Announces Big Changes for Voting, Money Transfer and More - September 17, 2017
- Swirlds Raises $3M Seed Round to Bring Improved Performance, Security to Distributed Ledger Applications - September 17, 2017
- ICOBox Token Sale Tops 3933 BTC For New and Existing ICOs - September 17, 2017
- 21 Thousand People Contribute To Kybernetwork As Company Reports ‘Smooth’ ICO - September 16, 2017