Blockchain technology has the potential to create new foundations for global businesses. Its provision of an immutable, global, online ledger for transactions that includes a verification mechanism will undoubtedly lead to disruptive innovations across all sectors. While most Blockchain investors have seen interesting applications in fintech, the Switzerland based modum.io is one of the few start-ups focused on the 8.1 trillion USD global logistics market.
In particular, modum.io is focusing on the highly regulated pharmaceutical logistics market, which currently relies on old and expensive methods in order to meet new regulations. modum.io tackles the market need for new, cost effective alternatives for compliance with sensor devices and a Blockchain back-end.
Oversubscribed Pre-Token Sale – Public Token Sale starts September 1st
To finance the market entry of their Blockchain based temperature monitoring system, modum.io announced on August 14th that it would hold a public token sale beginning September 1st. Its invite only pre-sale was oversubscribed within one day, selling 2.1 million tokens. modum.io is one of the few companies offering profit participation and voting rights with their token.
These benefits to investors and the maturity of the start-up (it has a working product, commercial traction, major partnerships, and hardware ready for mass production) makes this public token sale a highly anticipated opportunity for investors in the Blockchain space. The funds raised will be used to bring the first product to market and to further develop the modum system.
Regulatory driven first application
The new EU GDP regulation (GDP 2013/C 343/01) requires proof that shipped medicines have not been exposed to conditions, particularly temperatures, which may compromise their quality. These regulations are now enforced across Europe. It is likely that regulations in the United States (draft chapter 1083: “Good Distribution Practice”) will follow suit, in a similar direction.
To date, pharmaceutical companies meet requirements via expensive, temperature-stabilized trucks and containers from third-party logistics providers. For the majority of medicines, which are not temperature sensitive, this is excessive from a cost and regulatory perspective.
“Our system reduces the need for costly and inefficient actively-cooled transport solutions. Logistics services could save up to 3 billion EUR annually with our passive monitoring strategy,” explains CEO Malik El Bay.
The modum system offers an alternative supply-chain solution, ensuring GDP compliance and auditability. The sensor devices record the environmental conditions (temperature, humidity, movement, etc.) that a shipment has been exposed to while in transit; senders can pre-program these alarm criteria into the Blockchain. The sender and the receiver will then be notified if a deviation in conditions, that may affect the quality of the product, has occurred. The records are immutable and auditable.
According to El Bay:
“After testing our system with several leading pharma distribution companies and implementing their feedback, we have begun preparation for the mass production of the first batch of sensor devices.”
The commercial launch of the modum system is planned for Q1 2018. Until then the start-up is focused on its token sale, which starts September 1st, and the ongoing integration of the system with select logistic service provider market leaders.
- UC Berkeley Opens New Blockchain Lab – Steve Chen Appointed to Co-Lead Newly Formed Berkeley Blockchain Lab - December 10, 2017
- Peter Vessenes Announces Deluge Network To Support a Safe and Direct Way to Contribute Bitcoin Directly to ICOs - December 5, 2017
- EXMO Launches Token Sale with Blockstarter’s ICO Solution - December 5, 2017
- AdHive, A Blockchain-Based Native Advertising Platform, Engages with WINGS DAO Platform - December 5, 2017
- Perkins Coie Adds SEC Attorney in San Francisco with Fintech and Blockchain Experience - December 5, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Monero Announces Breakthrough Online Shopping Initiative Featuring Top Global Artists’ Music and Merchandise - December 5, 2017
- Bitcoin for a ‘bit’ of Caribbean paradise - December 5, 2017
- With the Launch of SunCoin, Solar Bankers Takes On the World’s Energy Giants - December 4, 2017
- Blockchain News Is Merging With Token Report - November 30, 2017
- Mira launches Pre-ICO for Mira – an Easy and Convenient Way to Buy, Store and Send Cryptocurrency - November 23, 2017
- Dash and KuvaCash Partner to Fight Inflation in Zimbabwe with Cryptocurrency - November 22, 2017
- INS Ecosystem Partners with Ambrosus to Overhaul the Grocery Supply Chain - November 22, 2017
- Global Debt Registry Unveils Collateral Pledge Blockchain Proof of Concept - November 22, 2017
- Ripple Appoints Former New York State Superintendent of Financial Services Benjamin Lawsky to Its Board and Ron Will as CFO - November 22, 2017
- Advised by the Co-Founders of YouTube and Twitch, Theta Announces a Blockchain-based Video Delivery Network - November 22, 2017
- Modex adds top advisor from Google ahead of ICO - November 22, 2017
- Decentralized Ad Exchange AdEx Partners with INK to Handle the World’s First Blockchain-based Ad Auction - November 22, 2017
- Zilliqa Lowers Funding Cap Despite Heavy Demand from Investors - November 22, 2017
- Health Startup Etheal Combines Blockchain Technology with Micro-Incentives to Build a Peer-Reviewed Global List of Health Professionals - November 22, 2017
- Bitquence Rebrands as Ethos.io, Charting a Course to Unlock Crypto and the Future of Investment for the Masses - November 22, 2017
- Eidoo Introduces User Friendly ICO Engine – Allowing Crypto Startups To Launch And Manage Their Own ICOs For Fundraising On The Blockchain - November 22, 2017
- Simdaq Launches Social Platform for Democratisation and Development of Cryptocurrency Trading - November 22, 2017
- Gameflip Shatters FLIP Pre-Sale Goals, Sets Sights on December 4, 2017 ICO - November 22, 2017
- Golden Alliance Gold Mining Launches Token Sale - November 22, 2017
- Genaro and Storj Labs Announce Collaboration and Product Integration - November 22, 2017
- Metal (MTL) Now Available on the Chinese Cryptocurrency Exchange - November 22, 2017
- Mark.space & Jaguar Land Rover Announce Cooperation - November 22, 2017
- Exscudo – EON Testnet Was Successfully Updated - November 22, 2017
- Valorem Foundation Launches All-new Cryptocurrency Platform - November 22, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 22, 2017
- Brave expands Basic Attention Token platform to YouTube - November 22, 2017
- Narrative Launches Blockchain Based Social Network That Puts Revenue In Your Pocket, Not Mark Zuckerberg’s - November 22, 2017
- Gladius Uses Blockchain and Spare Bandwidth to Revolutionize Cyber Security - November 22, 2017
- Indorse Announces Partnership with App Store Cryptocurrency, AppCoins, ahead of MVP Launch - November 22, 2017
- Secutix And The Paléo Festival Nyon Announce The Success Of Their Blockchain Pilot Project - November 22, 2017
- ING launches major addition to blockchain technology: Zero-Knowledge Range Proof solution - November 22, 2017
- Cofound.it Announces Teams Participating in Upcoming Live Crowdsale Event - November 22, 2017
- PUBLIQ goes public: The blockchain and AI company that fights fake news announces the start of its Initial Token Offering - November 22, 2017
- Blockchain for Business SophiaTX Reveals New Details of Platform; Confirms Date for Token Generation Event - November 22, 2017
- BCShop.io Launches Partner Program - November 22, 2017
- World’s First Social Entrepreneurship Platform Moms Avenue Challenges Etsy by Gearing Up With Blockchain - November 21, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 20, 2017
- Pundi X integrates NEM blockchain to Bring Cryptocurrency Payments Into Retail Stores - November 20, 2017
- Fujitsu Develops Security Technology to Safely Connect Blockchains - November 20, 2017
- Jibrel Network Announces a Highly Successful Pre-sale Round - November 20, 2017
- KRAFTWERK on Blockchain - November 20, 2017
- MintHealth: Empowering Patients to Take Control of their Health and Data via Blockchain Technology - November 20, 2017
- IBM Completes PoC Of Blockchain-based Shared KYC With Deutsche Bank, HSBC, MUFG And Cargill, IBM Treasuries - November 20, 2017
- LetsEnhance.io to process images on Neuromation Platform - November 20, 2017
- Blockchain And AI Researchers Propose A New Model To Return The Control Over Human Life Data To The Patients And Accelerate Biomedical Research - November 20, 2017