Funderbeam, an Estonian company funded by Skype co-founder Jaan Tallinn that offers data-intelligence on startups for angel investors, has announced it will launch a blockchain based trading platform for startup-investment. The company aims to create more liquidity in the startup marketplace. Funderbeam CEO CEO Kaidi Ruusalepp, writes more on their blog:
You’ll be able to easily create a syndicate as a lead, or join one as a backer. National borders won’t matter. Digital verification and regulatory compliance will be baked into our product. That’s a huge leap forward from how early-stage investing currently works.
Every syndicate is paired with a microfund that owns actual stakes in startups. So when syndicate members want to trade all or parts of their holdings, they’ll trade digital stakes in that microfund. These rights are represented by digital tokens (colored coins) on the bitcoin blockchain.
This creates something that’s been sorely missing from startup investments: an aftermarket. You won’t be locked in to your investment, waiting for a possible exit five years down the line. Want to sell 5% or 100% of your stake? As long as there’s a buyer, you can do it at any time.
Whether a syndicate on Funderbeam invests in one startup or many, we’ll use the blockchain to verify each transaction and then enforce it. The same happens when an investor sells their digital stakes/rights. Every investment, every ownership change will have a secure, distributed audit trail.
If you don’t quite understand blockchain technology, you’re not alone. Indeed, its inner workings can be a mind bender. But the promise and function aren’t. Here’s a quote we like:
“Eventually, every dataset and every digital transaction could leave a ‘fingerprint’ [in the blockchain] , creating an audit trail for any digital event throughout history, without compromising anyone’s personal privacy,” says Mike Gault, the CEO of Guardtime, which ensures the integrity of data and systems at industrial scale.
“It could introduce a level of democracy and objective ‘truth’ to the digital world that even the physical world can’t match. Its promise involves a future in which no one has absolute power online, and no one can lie about past or current events.”
In building a blockchain-enabled syndication and trading platform, Funderbeam helps build this future. We’ll cut out bureaucracy and needless intermediaries while delivering speed, transparency, and liquidity to early-stage investing. We hope you agree that’s a future worth building. And who knows, maybe it’s a small step towards changing the structure of capital markets.
Keep an eye on our progress as we work to bring startup investments from the stone age to the bitcoin century. The world’s startup marketplace is getting closer.
- Toronto’s Creative Destruction Lab Joins Facebook’s Libra Association - June 19, 2019
- Australia’s Power Ledger to bring P2P Energy Trading to Austria - June 19, 2019
- Litecoin Foundation Teams Up With Bibox And Ternio On Special Edition Litecoin Debitcard - June 19, 2019
- US Legislators Call for Halt to Facebook’s Cryptocurrency Plans – And to Face Congress - June 19, 2019
- Hyperledger Welcomes Diverse Line-up of New Members for Identity Project - June 18, 2019
- Facebook Announces Calibra Digital Wallet and Libra Cryptocurrency - June 18, 2019
- MIT Professor Silvio Micali’s Algorand Project Announces Date for First Auction - June 6, 2019
- SEC sues Canadian Messaging Service Kik Selling Unregistered Securities in its $100 million ICO - June 4, 2019
- CrowdEngine Teams Up With Polymath Adding Security Token Issuance to List of Crowdfunding Services - June 3, 2019
- Bitcoin Inc. CEO Morgan Rockcoon Busted – 21 Months in Prison and Fines - June 3, 2019
- Reshaping a Nation’s Logistics Sector: Singaporean Blockchain Company PLMP Cuts Multimillion Dollar Deal With Indonesia - June 3, 2019
- Swisscom TV Opens Blockchain-based Art Gallery - June 3, 2019
- Canadian Messaging Service Kik Burns $5 Million Fighting SEC Over Utility Tokens, Now Raising $5 Million More to Continue Battle - June 3, 2019
- Salesforce Introduces CRM Blockchain Platform For Selected Clients - June 3, 2019
- Block.one Plans to Tackle Pitfalls of Social Media With New Blockchain Community Called “Voice” - June 3, 2019
- CasperLabs and Ethereum on Proof of Stake Protocol at CryptoChicks in Toronto, family ran Hack-A-Thon for blockchain family - June 3, 2019
- World Economic Forum Inaugurates Global Blockchain Council to Address Lack of Well-Defined Rules for Working with Blockchain - May 29, 2019
- India’s First Blockchain Powered VoD Platform ‘myNK’ Launches At Cannes Film Festival - May 27, 2019
- New Zealand’s Cryptopia Exchange Packs It In – Announces Liquidation - May 15, 2019
- Canadian Blockchain Expert Alex Tapscott and NextBlock Global Limited to Pay $1M for Misleading Investors - May 15, 2019