Financial innovation firm R3 today announced the team tasked with managing the design and delivery of advanced Blockchain technologies to global financial markets in partnership with its consortium of member banks.
The team brings together a unique set of expertise in electronic financial markets, distributed ledgers and blockchain technologies. They will be responsible for leading joint working groups with the 30 global banks involved in the project and facilitating a collaborative lab environment or “sandbox” to test and validate distributed ledger prototypes and protocols.
Today’s staffing announcement coincides with the addition of five more banks to R3’s distributed ledger initiative – BNP Paribas, Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, ING Bank, Macquarie Bank, and Wells Fargo & Co. – bringing the total number of bank members to 30.
David Rutter, CEO of R3 commented:
“The combined strength of our technology team and the diverse global footprint of our member banks – now including five more members – clearly differentiates us and puts us in a unique and exciting position within the distributed ledger space. The R3 collaborative model is the best way to quickly, efficiently and cost effectively deliver these new technologies to global financial markets. We look forward to welcoming more players to our growing team as the initiative continues to develop and evolve.”
The new appointments are based across R3’s New York, San Francisco and London headquarters and include:
Richard Gendal Brown, Managing Director, Chief Technology Officer: Formerly Executive Architect for Banking Innovation at IBM, Richard is a leading authority on advanced shared ledger technologies. In his fifteen year career at IBM he specialized in the application of new technology in banking and financial markets. He is an advisor to several fintech startups and he mentors at London’s Startupbootcamp fintech accelerator.
James Carlyle, Director, Chief Engineer: James has 25 years of in-depth IT experience as a software engineer, innovator and enterprise architect. As Chief Engineer for Personal and Corporate Banking Architecture at Barclays, James was responsible for the architecture and design of some of the banks’ most complex projects. He has cofounded two companies and raised €4 million in venture capital funding to build innovative mobile data search and directory services.
Mike Hearn, Director, Lead Platform Engineer: Mike is one of the world’s leading experts in blockchain-based digital currencies and was a senior software engineer at Google, where he spent over seven years working on products such as Earth, Maps, Gmail and account security. Mike was one of the first users of Bitcoin, developed the leading Java Bitcoin API, co-developed the first and still most popular Bitcoin wallet for Android and pioneered smart contracts with the Lighthouse P2P crowdfunding app. Before joining R3 CEV, he was a developer in residence at Andreessen Horowitz.
Ian Grigg, Architecture Consultant: Ian is a financial cryptographer with 20 years experience building secure ledger systems for the internet. He is the inventor of the Ricardian Contract, and co-inventor of triple entry accounting. His focus has been on the reliable issuance of value and the extension of financial cryptography into messaging, identity and community applications.
Tim Swanson, Director, Head of Research: Tim has extensive experience as a business and market research consultant, with a strong understanding of business development in China and Asian markets. He has written three books based on a compilation of market research he conducted, including a study of Bitcoin. He also has a background in IT, teaching and website development.
- Wanxiang Blockchain and PlatON Launch Consortium Blockchain Infrastructure in China - October 7, 2019
- PayPal Quits Facebook Cryptocurrency Project Libra - October 7, 2019
- Walmart To Use Blockchain For Shrimp - October 7, 2019
- Channel Tools adds Blockchain-Driven Verification Service Evident Proof To It’s Kit - October 7, 2019
- Zuckerberg Under Intense Pressure to Testify to US Congress about Libra - October 4, 2019
- Report: Canadian Blockchain Industry Has Some of The Highest Paid Workers in the Country - October 4, 2019
- Bavarian Company RISE Wealth Technologies with Houston-based Entoro, Launching Largest European STO to Date at USD$120 million - October 4, 2019
- October Launch Confirmation for Telegram Open Network (TON) - October 4, 2019
- Liechtenstein Parliament Passes Blockchain Act - October 4, 2019
- Pioneer of Blockchain Certification For The Visual Arts Verisart, Raises $2.5 million in Series Seed Funding - October 4, 2019
- Uruguayan Digital Party to Embrace Æternity Blockchain Technology For Member Voting - October 3, 2019
- Decentralized Trading Technology Startup Vega Raises $5 Million Seed – Pantera Capital Leads Oversubscribed Round - October 3, 2019
- Malta-Based OKEx Kicks Off Global Compliance Standards Initiative for Cryptocurrency Exchanges - October 3, 2019
- Dama Financial and Helix TCS Establish First Blockchain-Fueled, Complaint Cannabis Marketplace - October 3, 2019
- New Digital Rights Law Enacted in Russia – Establishes Basic Definition Of Tokens And Governs Smart Contracts - October 2, 2019
- Six major Japanese Brokerage Firms Establish Japan Security Token Offering Association - October 2, 2019
- Vancouver’s BIGG Digital Assets Cuts Deal with US Federal Government Agency - October 2, 2019
- æternity Teams Up with Uruguay Can to Track Cannabis Production on the Blockchain - October 2, 2019
- Streamr Launches Global Pub/Sub Network For Machine Data - October 2, 2019
- SEC Orders Blockone to Pay $24 Million Fine for Unregistered ICO - October 2, 2019