Russian Minister of Communications and Mass Communications Nikolai Nikiforov told a Russian Audience in Moscow at a forum on the Internet economy last week that it’s necessary to examine the possibility of using Blockchain technology in the public interest.
“Blockchain technology as a new subspecies is very interesting, because it can be used in many areas, not necessarily in cryptocurrency. Generally, it should look like in the public interest in terms of protection and certain aspects of this technology can be used,” the minister said.
Nikiforov added that it is very interesting to monitor its development and to conduct various studies.
“We need to look at the horizon of 5-10 years and how this technology can help the national economy, relations between citizens and the state – there are many different areas”
According to another recent report in the Russian press, at Cnews.ru written by Igor Korolev, a new roadmap that pitches the proposal to ‘legalize’ Blockchain technology by January 2017 was submitted to President Putin on December 22, 2015. The roadmap is a supplement under the wider proposal called “Internet Program 2025”, an initiative that puts together proposals for the development of internet and communication as a whole in Russia.
“Blockchain – is not the same thing as Bitcoin – it’s a revolutionary technology using distributed databases that could be helpful to banks and organizations that work with securities,” said one government representative from the Supervisory Council Institute of the Internet (IRI).
Co-founder of the payment system Qiwi, Andrei Romanenko, (who helped draft the Internet roadmap), is committed to Blockchain technology and that’s not surprising really as Cryptocoinsnews writes:
It comes as little surprise that Romanenko is vouching for blockchain technology as payment operator Qiwi announced the creation of a new cryptocurrency called Bitrubles in 2016. Company CEO Sergei Solonin also met with regulators and representatives of the central bank to discuss butrubles. At the time, Solonin also said Qiwi is testing sandbox distributed ledger platforms and testing them in accordable with Russian law. “For example, we are working on the creation of a system for the identification of cryptocurrency users,” Solonin confirmed.
As Blockchain News recently reported, Sberbank, Russia’s largest bank by assets, has joined R3 and is actively researching and working on Blockchain technology.
- Token Taxonomy Workshop – - January 24, 2020
- Deloitte Bullish on Libra Project in New Report - January 22, 2020
- Busted: SEC Charges Blockchain Marketplace Founder Sergii “Sergey” Grybniak for Fraudulent ICO 2017 - January 22, 2020
- DC Blockchain Advocacy Group US Chamber of Digital Commerce Supports Telegram Vs. SEC Case - January 22, 2020
- BIS Forms New Central Bank Think Tank to Assess National Cryptocurrencies - January 22, 2020
- Bank of England Pondering National Cryptocurrency - January 22, 2020
- Infamous Online Gaming Community Clanbase to Relaunch With Blockchain Technology in 2021 - January 21, 2020
- Chainalysis: 2019 Saw More Cryptocurrency Hacks – Total Amount Stolen From Exchanges Dropped To $283 Million - January 21, 2020
- J. Christopher Giancarlo, former Chairman of the US Commodity Futures Trading Commission - January 21, 2020
- Ethereum Classic Labs Donates $1 Million to UNICEF Innovation Ventures - January 20, 2020
- Busted: SEC and U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of New Jersey Files Lawsuits Against Fraudulent ICO that raised $30 million - January 17, 2020
- Kenya Issues Second ICO Warning After Investors Lose €24+ Million Euro - January 17, 2020
- Neufund Wraps Tokenised Equity Crowdfunding Series B with Greyp Bikes raising €1.4m EUR - January 17, 2020
- U.S. Lawmakers Pondering “Crypto-Currency Act of 2020” - January 17, 2020
- New Blockchain-based Visa Token Service Set To Launch in 2020 – Set to Reach $1 Trillion - January 17, 2020
- Germany’s New Shore Invest Launches STO Ship Financing Platform – Tokenised Fractional Ownership - January 16, 2020
- Open Source Luminary Marc Fleury Enters Crypto Arena with Announcement of New Crypto Asset Class and Continuous Token Offering Sale - January 16, 2020
- UN Warns Public Not To Attend North Korea Blockchain and Cryptocurrency Conference 2020 - January 16, 2020
- Fiat-to-Crypto Gateway Solution, Banxa, Raises $2 Million USD Series A Round Led By NGC Ventures - January 15, 2020
- United Africa Blockchain Association Plans to Fire Up Blockchain Adoption - January 14, 2020