Blockchain API provider Gem kickstarted 2016 with a $7.1m Series A announced this week.
Gem, a leading blockchain platform provider, announced the funding was led by Pelion Venture Partners and participated in by KEC Ventures, Blockchain Capital, Digital Currency Group, RRE Ventures and more.
“We believe blockchain technology will transform how people and companies interact,” says Micah Winkelspecht, CEO and founder of Gem. “It will underpin entire industries and one day produce a blockchain economy that will form the underlying architecture of our daily lives.”
According to a recent report by technology-focused boutique investment bank Magister Advisors, the blockchain and bitcoin ecosystem received nearly $1 billion in funding since 2013, and that number is expected to increase by another $1 billion in 2017. Gem is the first blockchain company in 2016 to announce a formal round of funding. Gem’s investors are attracted to its fully customizable platform that refines blockchain technology into a data management application that can be applied cross-industry.
Ben Dahl, a partner at Pelion Venture Partners who led the funding round and has also joined Gem’s Board of Directors said:
“We have been monitoring the blockchain industry looking for a company that could bridge the divide between enabling developers and their projects, while also advancing blockchain use cases in larger enterprises. After spending time with Gem team and their customers, we became convinced they have the foresight, traction and leadership necessary to connect the enterprise with the efficiencies and benefits of blockchains.”
“It was obvious to us immediately the Pelion team shared our vision for the future of blockchains and what would be required to get there,” said Gem Founder and CEO, Micah Winkelspecht. “We’re excited to have Ben and Pelion join the team and help us do something special.”
Gem was founded by Blockchain thought leader, open-source contributor, and community organizer Micah Winkelspecht and launched at TechCrunch Disrupt SF’s Startup Battlefield in 2014. After launching a multisignature API for developers, the company is now working to promote the integration of blockchain technology in finance, healthcare, and other data-reliant industries.
Jeff Parkinson, partner of KEC Ventures said:
“I’m really excited about blockchain ledger systems, and Gem is a great example of a company that’s fully leveraging the potential of that technology to transform the services industry.”
Scott Kriz, CEO of Bitium has also been appointed to Gem’s Board of Directors. Gem has raised $10.4 million in total funding and is based in Venice, CA.
For more information, please visit: https://gem.co
- Archax Opts for R3’s Corda for Digital Exchange DLT Infrastructure - October 18, 2019
- Dubai Property Giant Emaar to Launch Blockchain-Based Rewards and Loyalty Ecosystem - October 17, 2019
- World’s Largest Cryptocurrency-Fueled Darknet Child Pornography Website Hammered – 300+Busted - October 17, 2019
- Wanxiang Blockchain and PlatON Launch Consortium Blockchain Infrastructure in China - October 7, 2019
- PayPal Quits Facebook Cryptocurrency Project Libra - October 7, 2019
- Walmart To Use Blockchain For Shrimp - October 7, 2019
- Channel Tools adds Blockchain-Driven Verification Service Evident Proof To It’s Kit - October 7, 2019
- Zuckerberg Under Intense Pressure to Testify to US Congress about Libra - October 4, 2019
- Report: Canadian Blockchain Industry Has Some of The Highest Paid Workers in the Country - October 4, 2019
- Bavarian Company RISE Wealth Technologies with Houston-based Entoro, Launching Largest European STO to Date at USD$120 million - October 4, 2019
- October Launch Confirmation for Telegram Open Network (TON) - October 4, 2019
- Liechtenstein Parliament Passes Blockchain Act - October 4, 2019
- Pioneer of Blockchain Certification For The Visual Arts Verisart, Raises $2.5 million in Series Seed Funding - October 4, 2019
- Uruguayan Digital Party to Embrace Æternity Blockchain Technology For Member Voting - October 3, 2019
- Decentralized Trading Technology Startup Vega Raises $5 Million Seed – Pantera Capital Leads Oversubscribed Round - October 3, 2019
- Malta-Based OKEx Kicks Off Global Compliance Standards Initiative for Cryptocurrency Exchanges - October 3, 2019
- Dama Financial and Helix TCS Establish First Blockchain-Fueled, Complaint Cannabis Marketplace - October 3, 2019
- New Digital Rights Law Enacted in Russia – Establishes Basic Definition Of Tokens And Governs Smart Contracts - October 2, 2019
- Six major Japanese Brokerage Firms Establish Japan Security Token Offering Association - October 2, 2019
- Vancouver’s BIGG Digital Assets Cuts Deal with US Federal Government Agency - October 2, 2019