Up until 1973 Scotland had its own independent stock exchange, the Scottish Stock Exchange, born from a merger of the Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee and Aberdeen Stock Exchanges in 1964. But the doors were slammed shut when it was officially merged with the London Stock Exchange in 1973 and all operations were moved to London.
With the Scots getting more wary of staying in the United Kingdom due to the vote of the English in the south to leave the EU via a Brexit, a new group of Blockchain and financial experts in Scotland have begun work on SCOTEX a Blockchain driven trading platform built from scratch from the ground up as an entirely new exchange they say can bring about real innovation to the equity capital market. Scotex is seeking to raise as much as 15 million pounds ($18.4 million) to start a regulated equity market next year, according to a statement last week.
From the website.
We can bring profound change to the post-trade landscape through distributed ledgers thereby slashing settlement times and bringing significant cost benefits to all exchange participants. Every exchange in the world is looking at implementing this technology but they all face the intractable problem of switching from legacy systems on to very new and very different post-trade infrastructure. Without that problem to overcome SCOTEX can genuinely be the first in the world at implementing distributed ledger technology with the STARS system.
SCOTEX will offer capital markets access for the next generation of scientists, inventors and entrepreneurs of Scotland. It is crucial for Scotland that its wealth creators – now and in the future – have a visible equity capital market that is able to provide them with access to the capital they need to grow their companies.
They are calling the new post-trade system STARS: Secure Transaction Affirmation and Reporting System. It will mean:
- Trades will settle almost immediately with no need for post-trade clearing (guaranteeing) of trades.
- Trading will be much cheaper for everyone as users will be charged a low flat fee to access the ledger rather than being charged per transaction in a captive system.
- Sellers will get their money almost instantly and no later than 15 minutes after executing a stock sale.
- No need for post-trade affirmation or confirmation and central clearing during the settlement cycle.
- Reduced scope for data errors, disputes and reconciliation lags, speeding up the end-to-end trading process since all participants operate from their own local version of the golden source.
- Archax Opts for R3’s Corda for Digital Exchange DLT Infrastructure - October 18, 2019
- Dubai Property Giant Emaar to Launch Blockchain-Based Rewards and Loyalty Ecosystem - October 17, 2019
- World’s Largest Cryptocurrency-Fueled Darknet Child Pornography Website Hammered – 300+Busted - October 17, 2019
- Wanxiang Blockchain and PlatON Launch Consortium Blockchain Infrastructure in China - October 7, 2019
- PayPal Quits Facebook Cryptocurrency Project Libra - October 7, 2019
- Walmart To Use Blockchain For Shrimp - October 7, 2019
- Channel Tools adds Blockchain-Driven Verification Service Evident Proof To It’s Kit - October 7, 2019
- Zuckerberg Under Intense Pressure to Testify to US Congress about Libra - October 4, 2019
- Report: Canadian Blockchain Industry Has Some of The Highest Paid Workers in the Country - October 4, 2019
- Bavarian Company RISE Wealth Technologies with Houston-based Entoro, Launching Largest European STO to Date at USD$120 million - October 4, 2019
- October Launch Confirmation for Telegram Open Network (TON) - October 4, 2019
- Liechtenstein Parliament Passes Blockchain Act - October 4, 2019
- Pioneer of Blockchain Certification For The Visual Arts Verisart, Raises $2.5 million in Series Seed Funding - October 4, 2019
- Uruguayan Digital Party to Embrace Æternity Blockchain Technology For Member Voting - October 3, 2019
- Decentralized Trading Technology Startup Vega Raises $5 Million Seed – Pantera Capital Leads Oversubscribed Round - October 3, 2019
- Malta-Based OKEx Kicks Off Global Compliance Standards Initiative for Cryptocurrency Exchanges - October 3, 2019
- Dama Financial and Helix TCS Establish First Blockchain-Fueled, Complaint Cannabis Marketplace - October 3, 2019
- New Digital Rights Law Enacted in Russia – Establishes Basic Definition Of Tokens And Governs Smart Contracts - October 2, 2019
- Six major Japanese Brokerage Firms Establish Japan Security Token Offering Association - October 2, 2019
- Vancouver’s BIGG Digital Assets Cuts Deal with US Federal Government Agency - October 2, 2019