Up until 1973 Scotland had its own independent stock exchange, the Scottish Stock Exchange, born from a merger of the Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee and Aberdeen Stock Exchanges in 1964. But the doors were slammed shut when it was officially merged with the London Stock Exchange in 1973 and all operations were moved to London.
With the Scots getting more wary of staying in the United Kingdom due to the vote of the English in the south to leave the EU via a Brexit, a new group of Blockchain and financial experts in Scotland have begun work on SCOTEX a Blockchain driven trading platform built from scratch from the ground up as an entirely new exchange they say can bring about real innovation to the equity capital market. Scotex is seeking to raise as much as 15 million pounds ($18.4 million) to start a regulated equity market next year, according to a statement last week.
From the website.
We can bring profound change to the post-trade landscape through distributed ledgers thereby slashing settlement times and bringing significant cost benefits to all exchange participants. Every exchange in the world is looking at implementing this technology but they all face the intractable problem of switching from legacy systems on to very new and very different post-trade infrastructure. Without that problem to overcome SCOTEX can genuinely be the first in the world at implementing distributed ledger technology with the STARS system.
SCOTEX will offer capital markets access for the next generation of scientists, inventors and entrepreneurs of Scotland. It is crucial for Scotland that its wealth creators – now and in the future – have a visible equity capital market that is able to provide them with access to the capital they need to grow their companies.
They are calling the new post-trade system STARS: Secure Transaction Affirmation and Reporting System. It will mean:
- Trades will settle almost immediately with no need for post-trade clearing (guaranteeing) of trades.
- Trading will be much cheaper for everyone as users will be charged a low flat fee to access the ledger rather than being charged per transaction in a captive system.
- Sellers will get their money almost instantly and no later than 15 minutes after executing a stock sale.
- No need for post-trade affirmation or confirmation and central clearing during the settlement cycle.
- Reduced scope for data errors, disputes and reconciliation lags, speeding up the end-to-end trading process since all participants operate from their own local version of the golden source.
- MIT Professor Silvio Micali’s Algorand Project Announces Date for First Auction - June 6, 2019
- SEC sues Canadian Messaging Service Kik Selling Unregistered Securities in its $100 million ICO - June 4, 2019
- CrowdEngine Teams Up With Polymath Adding Security Token Issuance to List of Crowdfunding Services - June 3, 2019
- Bitcoin Inc. CEO Morgan Rockcoon Busted – 21 Months in Prison and Fines - June 3, 2019
- Reshaping a Nation’s Logistics Sector: Singaporean Blockchain Company PLMP Cuts Multimillion Dollar Deal With Indonesia - June 3, 2019
- Swisscom TV Opens Blockchain-based Art Gallery - June 3, 2019
- Canadian Messaging Service Kik Burns $5 Million Fighting SEC Over Utility Tokens, Now Raising $5 Million More to Continue Battle - June 3, 2019
- Salesforce Introduces CRM Blockchain Platform For Selected Clients - June 3, 2019
- Block.one Plans to Tackle Pitfalls of Social Media With New Blockchain Community Called “Voice” - June 3, 2019
- CasperLabs and Ethereum on Proof of Stake Protocol at CryptoChicks in Toronto, family ran Hack-A-Thon for blockchain family - June 3, 2019
- World Economic Forum Inaugurates Global Blockchain Council to Address Lack of Well-Defined Rules for Working with Blockchain - May 29, 2019
- India’s First Blockchain Powered VoD Platform ‘myNK’ Launches At Cannes Film Festival - May 27, 2019
- New Zealand’s Cryptopia Exchange Packs It In – Announces Liquidation - May 15, 2019
- Canadian Blockchain Expert Alex Tapscott and NextBlock Global Limited to Pay $1M for Misleading Investors - May 15, 2019
- ObEN Launches AI Newscaster With 3D “Satoshi” Avatar to Deliver Content via PAI News App - May 14, 2019
- Leading Freelance Platform Moonlighting Announces First Blockchain Integration Partner – Teams with HireVibes For EOSIO Solution - May 14, 2019
- Polish-UK Blockchain Company Billon awarded €2 million euro from EU to build DLT Document System - May 14, 2019
- City of Belfast and Colu Team up to Create City Loyalty Token to Boost Local Economy and Environment - May 8, 2019
- Fidelity Investments – to Launch Cryptocurrency Trading Desk Soon – Recent Report Shows Clients Want To Trade Digital Assets - May 8, 2019
- Consensys Accelerates Blockchain Investment Portfolio, Consolidates Investment Arms - May 8, 2019