Blockchain social media startup Steemit, has announced an impending hard fork that would modify the Steem Blockchain’s economic model to better benefit its existing community, and on-board more short to mid term investors. If the upgrade is adopted by the witnesses, the primary mechanism being altered is the inflation rate of the currency Steem. Traders and investors of the popular cryptocurrency will now have their Steem Power holding requirements reduced from an average of one year, to an average of one and a half months.
CEO of Ned Scott said:
“With this hardfork the greatest portion of the community feels the ecosystem will be changing for the better and will now be more accessible to more people. The hard fork request was initiated by the community, and once we reiterated the recommendations, we received an overwhelmingly positive response. The reason we built Steemit was to create not just a community where people could get rewarded for their time, creativity, attention and effort; but one where every user has a voice. The community has recommended improvements to the platform and we responded to help us all. We’ve always encouraged two-way dialogue with our user base and we feel that this will benefit all current and future users of Steemit.”
The changes to the economic model are believed to be able to enhance the stability of Steem and are expected to allow for a significant influx of new users who were previously excluded from participating across a short or medium term. There will be no change to the functionality of Steemit.com, Steem Backed Dollars or Steem Power, nor will there be a change in the powering down schedule or rate of the Steemit founders and developers.
“Steemit’s value and growth has been phenomenal, but it was hindered by a reliance on long term participants. The new structure of Steem lowers the inflation rate and adopts a model much more similar to bitcoin, which encourages participants who don’t want to lock up their cryptocurrency value for long periods of time to have influence in the social network. While all Steem holders will have increased liquidity, the allocation of new Steem tokens to witnesses, content producers and creators won’t change; that figure still sits at 9.5%.”
Of the 9.5% annual instantaneous inflation, Steem Power holders will receive 15%, 10% will be allocated to witnesses and miners, and 75% will be given to authors and content creators.
The hard fork is set to occur on Tuesday, December 6, 2016.
Here’s a recent interview with CEO Ned Scott:
- Genetics Prof. David Haymer Joins DNAtix Advisory Board - November 12, 2018
- Libra Announces Commitment to Support Circle Trade’s Financial Reporting Requirements - November 10, 2018
- Evident Proof, Leading Blockchain Immutable Proof Platform Accept Dash & XRP As Business Adoption Soars - November 10, 2018
- Ethereum Now On Hyperledger Fabric - October 28, 2018
- 8000+ Expected – Blockchain Expo North America Exhibition Announces Expert Speakers - October 26, 2018
- Enjin Smart Wallet Update Will Allow Users To Melt & Send ERC-1155 Tokens - October 26, 2018
- Crypto-Friendly Gallery HOFA Launches in Los Angeles With Qvantum Exhibition - October 26, 2018
- Blockchain Company WePower Announces Plans to Tokenize Estonian Power Grid - October 25, 2018
- Overstock’s Medici Ventures, Buys into Crypto Social Network, Minds - October 24, 2018
- Xfinite to release new Blockchain content platform - October 24, 2018
- Omnitude set to transform enterprise business with the move of its ECOM token to Stellar and the introduction of micropayments to users - October 24, 2018
- Nem, Proximax, And Pundi X Join Growing List Of Sportsfix Sponsor Partners - October 23, 2018
- NEM Foundation’s Founder Lon Wong Becomes SportsFix Chief Technology Advisor - October 10, 2018
- Medici Ventures Backs Wine Blockchain Project VinX - October 4, 2018
- Lithuanian Members of European Parliament Say Blockchain is Here to Stay – Hands Off Regulation! - October 4, 2018
- New Open Source Blockchain Project To Challenge Experian And Equifax - October 2, 2018
- IOHK Launches Cardano Rust Project - October 2, 2018
- Hyperledger and Enterprise Ethereum Alliance Cut Deal to Advance the Global Blockchain Business Ecosystem - October 2, 2018
- Binance Labs Supports Decentralized Global Content Ecosystem Contentos - October 2, 2018
- Nexus Partners with Jeff Garzik’s SpaceChain – Planning Spacenet - September 27, 2018