IBM has just announced a program designed to speed up the development of Blockchain-based applications for business.
“The future growth and adoption of Blockchain is reliant upon building a strong ecosystem. Business networks will only reach critical mass when innovators, industry experts and infrastructure providers come together in new ways to reinvent how business transactions happen,” said Bridget Van Kralingen, senior vice president, IBM Industry Platforms. “The growing maturity of the Hyperledger Project code is a major milestone. That’s why IBM is investing to help developers accelerate the creation of Blockchain networks by providing an environment where these players can work together.”
IBM has also announced it will be hosting the first Hyperledger Fabric v1.0 Connect-a-Thon.
The company debuted its own Blockchain earlier this year, called simply IBM Blockchain, and the company is clearly hoping to play a central role in the coming world of business Blockchain apps. The company has been working on a number of Blockchain partnerships since it launched its offering in February, but its formal announcement today of a “Blockchain ecosystem,” open to any company interested in developing Blockchain apps, is a big move to mark itself as the go-to business Blockchain.
The ecosystem promises to offer route-to-market guidance and mentorship for startups building Blockchain apps — and it offers them a place to market their apps on IBM Marketplace, forming a sort of Blockchain “app store.” Enterprise developers and systems integrators can join the ecosystem, too, for access to tools, advice, and community. “IBM will provide education and tools to reduce the time required to go from idea to execution. IBM Blockchain experts will hold ‘office hours’ via the Hyperledger Fabric Slack channel providing support to developers and help with troubleshooting,” the company said in its release. The company will also offer code libraries, smart contract templates, and other tools.
IBM Blockchain is based on the Hyperledger Project, an open source collaboration of 100 member companies (including Intel, IBM, J.P. Morgan, Hitachi, Cisco, VMware, and Fujitsu, to name a few) focused on developing Blockchain tech specifically for business use. Hyperledger-based Blockchains differ from well-known public Blockchains such as Bitcoin and Ethereum in a few key ways. On the Bitcoin Blockchain, for example, all transactions are anonymous, but anyone in the public can view the amounts and movements of those transactions. On a Hyperledger-based Blockchain, such as IBM’s, users have known identities, and each application can define its own set of permissions to govern who can view which transactions.
A number of startups have already joined IBM’s ecosystem. Here are a few examples of participants listed on today’s press release:
- Everledger is a UK-based startup using IBM Blockchain to authenticate and trace the origin of high-value and luxury goods, such as diamonds and wine, that are authenticated by trusted players like certificate houses.
- Gliding Eagle is a California-based company providing a cloud and mobile based technology system offering transparency and authenticity in tracking individual products from the producer to the end consumer, anywhere in the world.
- The Hive is a Palo Alto-based early-fund and venture studio focused on applications of AI and big data with a strong Blockchain technology portfolio across fintech, cyber-security, industrial Internet and compliance. The Hive is actively co-creating ventures within IBM’s Blockchain ecosystem by collaborating with entrepreneurs.
- Loyyal is using Blockchain and smart contract technology to create interoperable loyalty and rewards infrastructure to address a highly fragmented industry, and offer multiple sectors an innovative way to incentivize customer behavior.
- Sensify Security is a Palo Alto-based IoT security startup that builds higher resistance to cyber-weapons by enabling operators to enforce access control in a decentralized manner within their operating environments. Its tamper-resistant propagation of security services to gateway-based points of enforcement offers operators centralized control, policy management, and compliance.
- Skuchain is a Silicon Valley startup building a Blockchain-based platform for collaborative commerce called Brackets. Skuchain is demonstrating the potential of verifiable information on Hyperledger Fabric to eliminate supply chain friction in use cases ranging from trade finance to working capital to item level authenticity.
Blockchain Connect-A-Thon with Hyperledger Fabric v1.0 – IBM will host a connect-a-thon on 17 December 2016, using the Hyperledger Fabric v1.0 to set up peers that will operate in a network of networks mode, providing security-rich, confidential transactions among known parties.
- UC Berkeley Opens New Blockchain Lab – Steve Chen Appointed to Co-Lead Newly Formed Berkeley Blockchain Lab - December 10, 2017
- Peter Vessenes Announces Deluge Network To Support a Safe and Direct Way to Contribute Bitcoin Directly to ICOs - December 5, 2017
- EXMO Launches Token Sale with Blockstarter’s ICO Solution - December 5, 2017
- AdHive, A Blockchain-Based Native Advertising Platform, Engages with WINGS DAO Platform - December 5, 2017
- Perkins Coie Adds SEC Attorney in San Francisco with Fintech and Blockchain Experience - December 5, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Monero Announces Breakthrough Online Shopping Initiative Featuring Top Global Artists’ Music and Merchandise - December 5, 2017
- Bitcoin for a ‘bit’ of Caribbean paradise - December 5, 2017
- With the Launch of SunCoin, Solar Bankers Takes On the World’s Energy Giants - December 4, 2017
- Blockchain News Is Merging With Token Report - November 30, 2017
- Mira launches Pre-ICO for Mira – an Easy and Convenient Way to Buy, Store and Send Cryptocurrency - November 23, 2017
- Dash and KuvaCash Partner to Fight Inflation in Zimbabwe with Cryptocurrency - November 22, 2017
- INS Ecosystem Partners with Ambrosus to Overhaul the Grocery Supply Chain - November 22, 2017
- Global Debt Registry Unveils Collateral Pledge Blockchain Proof of Concept - November 22, 2017
- Ripple Appoints Former New York State Superintendent of Financial Services Benjamin Lawsky to Its Board and Ron Will as CFO - November 22, 2017
- Advised by the Co-Founders of YouTube and Twitch, Theta Announces a Blockchain-based Video Delivery Network - November 22, 2017
- Modex adds top advisor from Google ahead of ICO - November 22, 2017
- Decentralized Ad Exchange AdEx Partners with INK to Handle the World’s First Blockchain-based Ad Auction - November 22, 2017
- Zilliqa Lowers Funding Cap Despite Heavy Demand from Investors - November 22, 2017
- Health Startup Etheal Combines Blockchain Technology with Micro-Incentives to Build a Peer-Reviewed Global List of Health Professionals - November 22, 2017
- Bitquence Rebrands as Ethos.io, Charting a Course to Unlock Crypto and the Future of Investment for the Masses - November 22, 2017
- Eidoo Introduces User Friendly ICO Engine – Allowing Crypto Startups To Launch And Manage Their Own ICOs For Fundraising On The Blockchain - November 22, 2017
- Simdaq Launches Social Platform for Democratisation and Development of Cryptocurrency Trading - November 22, 2017
- Gameflip Shatters FLIP Pre-Sale Goals, Sets Sights on December 4, 2017 ICO - November 22, 2017
- Golden Alliance Gold Mining Launches Token Sale - November 22, 2017
- Genaro and Storj Labs Announce Collaboration and Product Integration - November 22, 2017
- Metal (MTL) Now Available on the Chinese Cryptocurrency Exchange - November 22, 2017
- Mark.space & Jaguar Land Rover Announce Cooperation - November 22, 2017
- Exscudo – EON Testnet Was Successfully Updated - November 22, 2017
- Valorem Foundation Launches All-new Cryptocurrency Platform - November 22, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 22, 2017
- Brave expands Basic Attention Token platform to YouTube - November 22, 2017
- Narrative Launches Blockchain Based Social Network That Puts Revenue In Your Pocket, Not Mark Zuckerberg’s - November 22, 2017
- Gladius Uses Blockchain and Spare Bandwidth to Revolutionize Cyber Security - November 22, 2017
- Indorse Announces Partnership with App Store Cryptocurrency, AppCoins, ahead of MVP Launch - November 22, 2017
- Secutix And The Paléo Festival Nyon Announce The Success Of Their Blockchain Pilot Project - November 22, 2017
- ING launches major addition to blockchain technology: Zero-Knowledge Range Proof solution - November 22, 2017
- Cofound.it Announces Teams Participating in Upcoming Live Crowdsale Event - November 22, 2017
- PUBLIQ goes public: The blockchain and AI company that fights fake news announces the start of its Initial Token Offering - November 22, 2017
- Blockchain for Business SophiaTX Reveals New Details of Platform; Confirms Date for Token Generation Event - November 22, 2017
- BCShop.io Launches Partner Program - November 22, 2017
- World’s First Social Entrepreneurship Platform Moms Avenue Challenges Etsy by Gearing Up With Blockchain - November 21, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 20, 2017
- Pundi X integrates NEM blockchain to Bring Cryptocurrency Payments Into Retail Stores - November 20, 2017
- Fujitsu Develops Security Technology to Safely Connect Blockchains - November 20, 2017
- Jibrel Network Announces a Highly Successful Pre-sale Round - November 20, 2017
- KRAFTWERK on Blockchain - November 20, 2017
- MintHealth: Empowering Patients to Take Control of their Health and Data via Blockchain Technology - November 20, 2017
- IBM Completes PoC Of Blockchain-based Shared KYC With Deutsche Bank, HSBC, MUFG And Cargill, IBM Treasuries - November 20, 2017
- LetsEnhance.io to process images on Neuromation Platform - November 20, 2017
- Blockchain And AI Researchers Propose A New Model To Return The Control Over Human Life Data To The Patients And Accelerate Biomedical Research - November 20, 2017