The Korea Financial Investment Association launched a Blockchain consortium on last week at a launching ceremony along with 21 financial investment companies and five Blockchain tech firms. The comapnies signed an MOU so that their expertise can be shared for mutual benefits and the consortium can function as a leading Blockchain think tank in the local capital market.
Jung Suk-yee from Business Korea writes:
The IT Committee of the Korea Financial Investment Association is planning to share its Blockchain case studies and technical research results with the consortium as well. In addition, the committee is going to assist in the operation of the secretariat of the consortium and technical training sessions.
The secretariat is to work on business opportunity creation and platform establishment with the member companies. Its future research projects include those on the establishment of a common platform for personal authentication (2017), clearing and settlement automation (2018 and 2019) and over-the-counter trading (2020).
“This consortium is the first case in South Korea where multiple financial firms make use of Blockchain,” said NH Investment & Securities managing director Park Sun-moo at the ceremony, adding, “It will contribute to the realization of the essential value of Blockchain and maximization of the convenience, security and efficiency of financial transactions.”
The consortium’s creation comes when demand for Bitcoin in South Korea has risen and the country’s regulators are eyeing new Bitcoin regulationsin 2017. The government has also pledged $2.65 billion in funding through 2019 to help develop its own FinTech sector.
- 18 Organisations Launch The Convergence Alliance To Enable A New Open Data Economy Built On The Decentralized Web - July 9, 2019
- Bittrex Acquires Tradedash - July 3, 2019
- Korea’s Cube Systems Rolls Out New Blockchain eCommerce Platform - July 3, 2019
- Clinlogix Joins ALTEN Calsoft in Launching Blockchain for Clinical Trials - July 3, 2019
- Binance Charity forms alliance with 46 companies to unveil a stablecoin for the alleviation of period poverty - July 3, 2019
- Nestlé Breaks from IBM Food Trust Blockchain Group for New Milk Supply Chain Trial - July 3, 2019
- Tokeny Solutions Digital Asset Platform Gets €5 Million Backing from Euronext - July 3, 2019
- Blockchain Venture Capital Funding Reaches $822 Million in 2019 - July 1, 2019
- Toronto’s Creative Destruction Lab Joins Facebook’s Libra Association - June 19, 2019
- Australia’s Power Ledger to bring P2P Energy Trading to Austria - June 19, 2019
- Litecoin Foundation Teams Up With Bibox And Ternio On Special Edition Litecoin Debitcard - June 19, 2019
- US Legislators Call for Halt to Facebook’s Cryptocurrency Plans – And to Face Congress - June 19, 2019
- Hyperledger Welcomes Diverse Line-up of New Members for Identity Project - June 18, 2019
- Facebook Announces Calibra Digital Wallet and Libra Cryptocurrency - June 18, 2019
- MIT Professor Silvio Micali’s Algorand Project Announces Date for First Auction - June 6, 2019
- SEC sues Canadian Messaging Service Kik Selling Unregistered Securities in its $100 million ICO - June 4, 2019
- CrowdEngine Teams Up With Polymath Adding Security Token Issuance to List of Crowdfunding Services - June 3, 2019
- Bitcoin Inc. CEO Morgan Rockcoon Busted – 21 Months in Prison and Fines - June 3, 2019
- Reshaping a Nation’s Logistics Sector: Singaporean Blockchain Company PLMP Cuts Multimillion Dollar Deal With Indonesia - June 3, 2019
- Swisscom TV Opens Blockchain-based Art Gallery - June 3, 2019