The Korea Financial Investment Association launched a Blockchain consortium on last week at a launching ceremony along with 21 financial investment companies and five Blockchain tech firms. The comapnies signed an MOU so that their expertise can be shared for mutual benefits and the consortium can function as a leading Blockchain think tank in the local capital market.
Jung Suk-yee from Business Korea writes:
The IT Committee of the Korea Financial Investment Association is planning to share its Blockchain case studies and technical research results with the consortium as well. In addition, the committee is going to assist in the operation of the secretariat of the consortium and technical training sessions.
The secretariat is to work on business opportunity creation and platform establishment with the member companies. Its future research projects include those on the establishment of a common platform for personal authentication (2017), clearing and settlement automation (2018 and 2019) and over-the-counter trading (2020).
“This consortium is the first case in South Korea where multiple financial firms make use of Blockchain,” said NH Investment & Securities managing director Park Sun-moo at the ceremony, adding, “It will contribute to the realization of the essential value of Blockchain and maximization of the convenience, security and efficiency of financial transactions.”
The consortium’s creation comes when demand for Bitcoin in South Korea has risen and the country’s regulators are eyeing new Bitcoin regulationsin 2017. The government has also pledged $2.65 billion in funding through 2019 to help develop its own FinTech sector.
- Archax Opts for R3’s Corda for Digital Exchange DLT Infrastructure - October 18, 2019
- Dubai Property Giant Emaar to Launch Blockchain-Based Rewards and Loyalty Ecosystem - October 17, 2019
- World’s Largest Cryptocurrency-Fueled Darknet Child Pornography Website Hammered – 300+Busted - October 17, 2019
- Wanxiang Blockchain and PlatON Launch Consortium Blockchain Infrastructure in China - October 7, 2019
- PayPal Quits Facebook Cryptocurrency Project Libra - October 7, 2019
- Walmart To Use Blockchain For Shrimp - October 7, 2019
- Channel Tools adds Blockchain-Driven Verification Service Evident Proof To It’s Kit - October 7, 2019
- Zuckerberg Under Intense Pressure to Testify to US Congress about Libra - October 4, 2019
- Report: Canadian Blockchain Industry Has Some of The Highest Paid Workers in the Country - October 4, 2019
- Bavarian Company RISE Wealth Technologies with Houston-based Entoro, Launching Largest European STO to Date at USD$120 million - October 4, 2019
- October Launch Confirmation for Telegram Open Network (TON) - October 4, 2019
- Liechtenstein Parliament Passes Blockchain Act - October 4, 2019
- Pioneer of Blockchain Certification For The Visual Arts Verisart, Raises $2.5 million in Series Seed Funding - October 4, 2019
- Uruguayan Digital Party to Embrace Æternity Blockchain Technology For Member Voting - October 3, 2019
- Decentralized Trading Technology Startup Vega Raises $5 Million Seed – Pantera Capital Leads Oversubscribed Round - October 3, 2019
- Malta-Based OKEx Kicks Off Global Compliance Standards Initiative for Cryptocurrency Exchanges - October 3, 2019
- Dama Financial and Helix TCS Establish First Blockchain-Fueled, Complaint Cannabis Marketplace - October 3, 2019
- New Digital Rights Law Enacted in Russia – Establishes Basic Definition Of Tokens And Governs Smart Contracts - October 2, 2019
- Six major Japanese Brokerage Firms Establish Japan Security Token Offering Association - October 2, 2019
- Vancouver’s BIGG Digital Assets Cuts Deal with US Federal Government Agency - October 2, 2019