Seeing that only 20 per cent of Denmark’s transactions are executed using cash, it’s no strange concept to question the point of printing paper money at all when it represents less than one-third of the money supply and is not even really a safety net should the electronic payments system stop functioning.
“In Denmark and the rest of Europe there’s a relatively high level of trust in the central bank. In Venezuela less so,” Rohde said, adding that many of the cost benefits to be had apply to small transactions. “The big advantage will concern small and micro payments. It’ll be cheaper, faster and easier for you and me to do electronic payments.”
Rohde says the bank is exploring whether the electronic currency it produces “should be anonymous or not.” The E-krone would have a serial number, which would make currency units traceable at all times. A blockchain – a kind of ledger that chronologically records all e-currency transactions – would allow such tracking. It’s a concept that was developed with Bitcoin, which was created in part in an effort to bypass central banks.
Having your central bank use a blockchain requires a certain level of trust between a country’s citizens and their monetary authority, meaning it’s a model better suited to transparent, developed societies, according to Lasse Birk Olesen, co-founder of fintech firm Coinify, which is developing a blockchain infrastructure for Nordic payments firm Nets A/S.
For full article click here.
- Bitpay Opens Up Doors For Ethereum Payments - September 16, 2019
- Neufund Launches Blockchain-Driven Equity Token Sale for Retail Investors Out of Lichtenstein - September 16, 2019
- London Blockchain Accelerator Academy Looking for Partners - September 13, 2019
- Blockchain Startup Blockstack Raises a Whopping $23 Million In SEC-Qualified Reg A+ Token Offering - September 12, 2019
- France Vows to Block Facebook Libra Cryptocurrency in Europe - September 12, 2019
- R3 and Mastercard Team Up Mastercard to Build Overseas Payments System Build on Blockchain - September 12, 2019
- ConsenSys Officially Joins Hyperledger Project – Adding Public Blockchain Capability to Hyperledger - September 11, 2019
- Telegram Open Network Labs Releases Development Suite for TON Blockchain - September 11, 2019
- Whale Alert: USD One Billion+ BTC Was Transferred in One Transaction Last Week - September 11, 2019
- New Professional API Trading Program AlgoX Prime API Launched by eToroX - September 11, 2019
- Bitcoin.com’s Roger Ver Steps in to Operate Node on Cryptographer David Chaum’s New Elixxer Project - September 11, 2019
- Seychelles Heats Up With a First for a National Stock Exchange – MERJ Exchange Goes Live with Tokenized IPO - September 10, 2019
- Computing Legend Steve Wozniak To Launch Blockchain Energy Project – EFFORCE - September 10, 2019
- Hollywood Star Wesley Snipes To Tokenize $25 Million USD Movie Fund with Liechtenstein Blockchain Innovator LCX - September 9, 2019
- Netki Extends TransactID Solution For FATF “Travel Rule” Compliance - September 9, 2019
- Market Demand For Sophisticated Crypto Trading Methods Drives Singapore’s Broctagon Fintech Group To New Heights – Pushing Them Past $5 million - September 5, 2019
- London-based Custodian For Digital Assets, Copper, Reach $500m In Transactions In Just Three Months - September 5, 2019
- UN Meeting: Gibraltar Lawyers Call For A Global Regulatory Framework For Cryptocurrencies - September 4, 2019
- Michael Terpin’s BitAngels Investor Network Partners with Bitcoin Bay to Expand Blockchain Investment Ecosystem in Toronto, Canada - September 3, 2019
- Coinanalyst Launches Socializer – New Communication Tool - September 3, 2019