Australian fintech companies were in the box seat to take advantage of Blockchain technology, following the release of an important standards roadmap, the peak body for Australia’s fintech industry said today.
On 2 March, Standards Australia released its Roadmap for Blockchain Standards Report, which outlines how the organisation will work to deliver measures to support the privacy, security and interoperability of Blockchain systems.
The report is part of a wider initiative led by Standards Australia to develop international Blockchain standards, with the support of the Australian Government.
Standards Australia is the secretariat for the International Organization for Standardization’s (ISO) technical committee which is developing new international standards on Blockchain.
FinTech Australia CEO Danielle Szetho said the release of the report was a welcome development which helped put Australia’s fintech industry in a strong global position to take advantage of this technology.
“Blockchain has almost unlimited potential to transform financial services, particularly in regard to international transactions,” Ms Szetho said.
“Australia’s rapidly-growing fintech industry is at the centre of the global game to take advantage of this new technology.
“FinTech Australia’s Blockchain members had strong input into the development of this roadmap and we intend to work closely with Standards Australia on an ongoing basis to ensure any new standards are fintech-friendly and also serve the greater good.
“Already our members are developing exciting Blockchain products, including to facilitate agricultural commodities, international payments and labour hire.
“For instance, FinTech Australia member AgriDigital in December 2016 successfully executed the world’s first-ever live settlement of a physical commodity on a Blockchain between a grower and a buyer.
“The release of this roadmap is expected to spark further innovation among the many Australian companies ready to take advantage of Blockchain technology.”
For a more detailed explanation of the Standards Australia announcement, FinTech Australia recommends the analysis by King & Wood Mallesons.
FinTech Australia is a national association for the Australian FinTech Startup community. Our vision is to make Australia the leading market for FinTech Innovation and Investment by working with both sides of Government, Industry and the Australian FinTech community to create a supportive environment and partner ecosystem in Australia and abroad.
- 18 Organisations Launch The Convergence Alliance To Enable A New Open Data Economy Built On The Decentralized Web - July 9, 2019
- Bittrex Acquires Tradedash - July 3, 2019
- Korea’s Cube Systems Rolls Out New Blockchain eCommerce Platform - July 3, 2019
- Clinlogix Joins ALTEN Calsoft in Launching Blockchain for Clinical Trials - July 3, 2019
- Binance Charity forms alliance with 46 companies to unveil a stablecoin for the alleviation of period poverty - July 3, 2019
- Nestlé Breaks from IBM Food Trust Blockchain Group for New Milk Supply Chain Trial - July 3, 2019
- Tokeny Solutions Digital Asset Platform Gets €5 Million Backing from Euronext - July 3, 2019
- Blockchain Venture Capital Funding Reaches $822 Million in 2019 - July 1, 2019
- Toronto’s Creative Destruction Lab Joins Facebook’s Libra Association - June 19, 2019
- Australia’s Power Ledger to bring P2P Energy Trading to Austria - June 19, 2019
- Litecoin Foundation Teams Up With Bibox And Ternio On Special Edition Litecoin Debitcard - June 19, 2019
- US Legislators Call for Halt to Facebook’s Cryptocurrency Plans – And to Face Congress - June 19, 2019
- Hyperledger Welcomes Diverse Line-up of New Members for Identity Project - June 18, 2019
- Facebook Announces Calibra Digital Wallet and Libra Cryptocurrency - June 18, 2019
- MIT Professor Silvio Micali’s Algorand Project Announces Date for First Auction - June 6, 2019
- SEC sues Canadian Messaging Service Kik Selling Unregistered Securities in its $100 million ICO - June 4, 2019
- CrowdEngine Teams Up With Polymath Adding Security Token Issuance to List of Crowdfunding Services - June 3, 2019
- Bitcoin Inc. CEO Morgan Rockcoon Busted – 21 Months in Prison and Fines - June 3, 2019
- Reshaping a Nation’s Logistics Sector: Singaporean Blockchain Company PLMP Cuts Multimillion Dollar Deal With Indonesia - June 3, 2019
- Swisscom TV Opens Blockchain-based Art Gallery - June 3, 2019