Bitcoin start-ups Zebpay, Unocoin, Coinsecure and Searchtrade jointly launched Digital Asset and Blockchain Foundation of India (DABFI) for the orderly and transparent growth of virtual currency market. Nishith Desai Associates, an international law firm has been appointed to develop self-regulations for the industry.
A committee spearheaded by Saurabh Agrawal, CEO of Zebpay has been constituted with members comprising Sandeep Goenka (Zebpay), Mohit Kalra (Coinsecure), Sathvik Vishwanath (Unocoin), Harish B.V. (Unocoin) and Vishal Gupta (Searchtrade), Rashmit Gupta (Searchtrade).
DABFI will lay down self-regulatory regimes for trading of bitcoins and other Blockchain based digital assets. They will also standardise KYC/ AML/ STRS norms for the member companies. Apart from this, the organization will build credibility and create awareness about the benefits and risks of CC, liaise with regulators and get clarity on taxation, attract investment and set up incubators to promote startups, build global relations and actively engage with International community, create a public website and regularly print reports on and around bitcoins and Blockchain.
Addressing the media Saurabh Agrawal said:
“This organization aims to drive education and create market for Blockchain and bitcoin in the Indian market which is now on the path of digital economy. Our vision would be to work with regulators and develop strong framework for our industry to provide required impetus for the growth of the industry.”
Providing legal support to this organization, Nishith Desai said:
“Bitcoin and other crypto currencies (CC) have tremendous benefits for most marginalised people, merchants, tax departments and regulatory authorities. It has better price discovery, is anti-inflationary and the transactions are irreversible.
Under the current banking system the poor, currently pay heavy transaction fees for sending small amounts of money to their families in rural areas. In contrast, there is no or very low fee for large transactions. So the current system is loaded in favour of the rich.
The CC also helps merchants as the transactions have instantaneous settlement, irreversible and for the customers it is more secured.
Globally the demand for CC is increasing. Due to its benefits, in the coming years, several countries may stop printing their own money and adopt CC’s such as Bitcoin as their legal tender.
On the other hand, Bitcoins and virtual currencies, just like any other cash, are known to be also used for illicit purposes. The virtual currency transactions are more traceable than the cash. Often that gets more highlighted than its benefits.”
Saurabh Agrawal added:
“It is absolutely important to check the ‘bad’ use of CC. Industry has to play an important role in shaping the future of CC and Blockchain. Almost no country including India has declared Bitcoins or CCs as per se illegal. And therefore we (DABFI) believe that it is our responsibility to self-regulate itself strictly to check any ‘bad’ use of the new system, work with the regulatory authorities and create awareness about the benefits of CC.”
Sathvik Vishwanath of Unocoin says the price of Bitcoin has gone up from 450 USD per Bitcoin in February 2016 to 1100 USD in February 2017 Per Bitcoin. DABFI would also warn ordinary people who do not understand the digital currency market not to be lured into trading Bitcoin as it is volatile.”
- Indian Central Bankers Excludes Cryptocurrency Projects from it’s New Startup Fintech Sandbox - April 19, 2019
- Enterprise Ethereum Alliance Plans to Launch New Token Taxonomy Initiative - April 19, 2019
- Social Blockchain Project BitGive Signs Deal with Uphold - April 19, 2019
- Crypto Wars Continue – Bitcoin’s Self Proclaimed Founder Craig Wright Threatens to Sue Ethereum’s Vitalik Buterin - April 19, 2019
- Gate.io Exchange Releases IEO Startup Platform and Launches First Project with CNNS - April 18, 2019
- Telegram Cuts Deal With Wirecard to Build Blockchain Shared Payment and Banking Solutions For TON - April 17, 2019
- Token-as-a-Service (TaaS) Shuts Down – Distributes Assets to Token Owners - April 17, 2019
- eToroX Launches 8 Stablecoins on New Cryptocurrency Exchange - April 17, 2019
- Powerhouse Production Company Endemol Shine International Partners with Blockchain Startup BitMovio - April 17, 2019
- Huobi Prime’s Second EO Launch – Two Billion NEW Tokens Sold in Six Seconds - April 17, 2019
- Panxora safeguards ICO assets with crypto treasury management service - April 17, 2019
- Turing Award Winner and MIT Cryptographer, Dr. Silvio Micali, Publicly Opens TestNet at VC-backed Algorand Blockchain - April 16, 2019
- Gibraltar Stock Exchange Opens the Doors to Secondary Market for Security Tokens - April 15, 2019
- Bittreo Releases Crypto Brokerage SAAS - April 14, 2019
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) Head Says Cryptocurrency is Shaking the System – Wary Eye on Silicon Valley Data Collectors - April 14, 2019
- US Regulator SEC Issues First ‘No Action’ Letter for Unregistered ICO - April 13, 2019
- Jason Hanania: Architecture of a Technodemocracy – Author Interview - April 12, 2019
- Block.one’s FinLab EOS VC Fund Invests in Moonlighting - April 11, 2019
- Blockstack Files with SEC for Reg A+ Token Offering - April 11, 2019
- US Congress Introduces Bipartisan-Supported Token Taxonomy Act - April 10, 2019