Bitcoin start-ups Zebpay, Unocoin, Coinsecure and Searchtrade jointly launched Digital Asset and Blockchain Foundation of India (DABFI) for the orderly and transparent growth of virtual currency market. Nishith Desai Associates, an international law firm has been appointed to develop self-regulations for the industry.
A committee spearheaded by Saurabh Agrawal, CEO of Zebpay has been constituted with members comprising Sandeep Goenka (Zebpay), Mohit Kalra (Coinsecure), Sathvik Vishwanath (Unocoin), Harish B.V. (Unocoin) and Vishal Gupta (Searchtrade), Rashmit Gupta (Searchtrade).
DABFI will lay down self-regulatory regimes for trading of bitcoins and other Blockchain based digital assets. They will also standardise KYC/ AML/ STRS norms for the member companies. Apart from this, the organization will build credibility and create awareness about the benefits and risks of CC, liaise with regulators and get clarity on taxation, attract investment and set up incubators to promote startups, build global relations and actively engage with International community, create a public website and regularly print reports on and around bitcoins and Blockchain.
Addressing the media Saurabh Agrawal said:
“This organization aims to drive education and create market for Blockchain and bitcoin in the Indian market which is now on the path of digital economy. Our vision would be to work with regulators and develop strong framework for our industry to provide required impetus for the growth of the industry.”
Providing legal support to this organization, Nishith Desai said:
“Bitcoin and other crypto currencies (CC) have tremendous benefits for most marginalised people, merchants, tax departments and regulatory authorities. It has better price discovery, is anti-inflationary and the transactions are irreversible.
Under the current banking system the poor, currently pay heavy transaction fees for sending small amounts of money to their families in rural areas. In contrast, there is no or very low fee for large transactions. So the current system is loaded in favour of the rich.
The CC also helps merchants as the transactions have instantaneous settlement, irreversible and for the customers it is more secured.
Globally the demand for CC is increasing. Due to its benefits, in the coming years, several countries may stop printing their own money and adopt CC’s such as Bitcoin as their legal tender.
On the other hand, Bitcoins and virtual currencies, just like any other cash, are known to be also used for illicit purposes. The virtual currency transactions are more traceable than the cash. Often that gets more highlighted than its benefits.”
Saurabh Agrawal added:
“It is absolutely important to check the ‘bad’ use of CC. Industry has to play an important role in shaping the future of CC and Blockchain. Almost no country including India has declared Bitcoins or CCs as per se illegal. And therefore we (DABFI) believe that it is our responsibility to self-regulate itself strictly to check any ‘bad’ use of the new system, work with the regulatory authorities and create awareness about the benefits of CC.”
Sathvik Vishwanath of Unocoin says the price of Bitcoin has gone up from 450 USD per Bitcoin in February 2016 to 1100 USD in February 2017 Per Bitcoin. DABFI would also warn ordinary people who do not understand the digital currency market not to be lured into trading Bitcoin as it is volatile.”
- Blockchain-Based Travala.com Teams Up with Dash For Hotel Booking Payments - July 18, 2019
- SEC And FINRA Approves First Reg A+ Token Offerings - July 18, 2019
- Tokinex Tolken Sale Sells out in 35 Seconds - July 18, 2019
- 18 Organisations Launch The Convergence Alliance To Enable A New Open Data Economy Built On The Decentralized Web - July 9, 2019
- Bittrex Acquires Tradedash - July 3, 2019
- Korea’s Cube Systems Rolls Out New Blockchain eCommerce Platform - July 3, 2019
- Clinlogix Joins ALTEN Calsoft in Launching Blockchain for Clinical Trials - July 3, 2019
- Binance Charity forms alliance with 46 companies to unveil a stablecoin for the alleviation of period poverty - July 3, 2019
- Nestlé Breaks from IBM Food Trust Blockchain Group for New Milk Supply Chain Trial - July 3, 2019
- Tokeny Solutions Digital Asset Platform Gets €5 Million Backing from Euronext - July 3, 2019
- Blockchain Venture Capital Funding Reaches $822 Million in 2019 - July 1, 2019
- Toronto’s Creative Destruction Lab Joins Facebook’s Libra Association - June 19, 2019
- Australia’s Power Ledger to bring P2P Energy Trading to Austria - June 19, 2019
- Litecoin Foundation Teams Up With Bibox And Ternio On Special Edition Litecoin Debitcard - June 19, 2019
- US Legislators Call for Halt to Facebook’s Cryptocurrency Plans – And to Face Congress - June 19, 2019
- Hyperledger Welcomes Diverse Line-up of New Members for Identity Project - June 18, 2019
- Facebook Announces Calibra Digital Wallet and Libra Cryptocurrency - June 18, 2019
- MIT Professor Silvio Micali’s Algorand Project Announces Date for First Auction - June 6, 2019
- SEC sues Canadian Messaging Service Kik Selling Unregistered Securities in its $100 million ICO - June 4, 2019
- CrowdEngine Teams Up With Polymath Adding Security Token Issuance to List of Crowdfunding Services - June 3, 2019