Swirlds, creators of the hashgraph distributed consensus platform, today announced that the company has closed on a $3M seed round led by New Enterprise Associates (NEA).
Since launching last year, the Swirlds platform has rapidly gained traction across a wide swath of categories from gaming to online collaboration to financial services, with pilot programs underway in some of the world’s largest financial consortia and technology companies. The funds will be used to accelerate platform development and drive adoption in key sectors where security and performance are paramount.
“The ways in which organizations and individuals transact is steadily being disrupted, with distributed ledger platforms capturing an ever-growing share of the pie despite significant security and performance hurdles with first-generation technologies,” said Mance Harmon, Swirlds Founder and CEO. “Our hashgraph algorithm offers a radically different approach than existing consensus technologies, enabling enterprises and developers to build and run fully distributed applications that are reliable, fair and secure.”
Until now, consensus technologies have fallen into one of two categories: public networks, such as Bitcoin and Ethereum, or private (permissioned) solutions that use Leader-based consensus algorithms, such as HyperLedger, Enterprise Ethereum Alliance, and R3 Corda. Both have critical shortcomings.
Public networks are expensive to run and have performance constraints resulting from Proof of Work, dramatically limiting the number of applications that can practically use the technology.
Private networks, restrict usage to known and trusted participants. This approach reduces cost and improves performance dramatically, with algorithms capable of achieving 1000 transactions per second compared to seven for Bitcoin. However, relaxed security standards make these networks inherently susceptible to DDoS attacks, which are steadily becoming cheaper and easier to conduct.
Swirlds’ hashgraph algorithm, which requires neither Proof of Work nor a Leader, eliminates the constraints inherent in both public and private networks and delivers low-cost, exceptional performance with no single point of failure. This combination of security and performance enables a new defense against DDoS attacks, even those that leverage IoT devices, while delivering performance of 100,000s of transactions per second.
“The Swirlds hashgraph platform is fundamentally different from other distributed ledger platforms, enabling some of the world’s leading financial and technology businesses to really build, run and scale distributed ledger applications with far greater confidence,” said Tony Florence, General Partner, NEA. “This capability will be increasingly critical, and Swirlds has the potential to be a dominant player in that transformation with its hashgraph platform.”
The patented hashgraph consensus algorithm, developed by Swirlds Co-Founder and CTO Leemon Baird, uses an entirely new protocol to enable distributed and decentralized communities to reach consensus in a fast and secure way. The hashgraph algorithm is resilient to DDoS attacks and ensures mathematically proven fairness in the absolute ordering of transactions. Further technical details of the hashgraph algorithm can be found at the resources below:
- Overview of Swirlds Hashgraph:
- Swirlds and Sybil Attacks:
- Hashgraph Consensus: Fair, Fast, Byzantine Fault Tolerance: http://www.swirlds.com/downloa
- Dictatorship, Democracy, and Blockchain: www.swirlds.com/Dictatorship-D
Swirlds CEO Mance Harmon will be speaking at TechCrunch Disrupt in San Francisco next Tuesday, September 19th. Hashgraph by Swirlds will also be one of the technologies used in the TechCrunch Disrupt Hackathon on September 16th and 17th. Interested participants can register at https://disruptsf2017.devpost.
Swirlds is a platform to build and run shared worlds — fully distributed applications that harness the power of the cloud without servers. Applications built on the Swirlds platform create trust in peer-to-peer networks without a central server, leveraging the hashgraph consensus algorithm to deliver high transaction throughput, low consensus latency, and fairness in transaction order. Rapidly gaining traction across a wide swath of categories from gaming to online collaboration to financial services, Swirlds is building the trust layer of the internet by enabling developers to create fair, fast and secure applications. www.swirlds.com | @Swirlds.
- NEM Foundation’s Founder Lon Wong Becomes SportsFix Chief Technology Advisor - October 10, 2018
- Medici Ventures Backs Wine Blockchain Project VinX - October 4, 2018
- Lithuanian Members of European Parliament Say Blockchain is Here to Stay – Hands Off Regulation! - October 4, 2018
- New Open Source Blockchain Project To Challenge Experian And Equifax - October 2, 2018
- IOHK Launches Cardano Rust Project - October 2, 2018
- Hyperledger and Enterprise Ethereum Alliance Cut Deal to Advance the Global Blockchain Business Ecosystem - October 2, 2018
- Binance Labs Supports Decentralized Global Content Ecosystem Contentos - October 2, 2018
- Nexus Partners with Jeff Garzik’s SpaceChain – Planning Spacenet - September 27, 2018
- Ripple Unveils Ripple for Good, Plans $100 Million Philanthropy Fund - September 27, 2018
- Electroneum Roars into Top 50 cryptocurrencies - September 27, 2018
- Zcoin Implements Dandelion – Better Privacy on the Blockchain - September 26, 2018
- Leading Global Wealth Management Firm, The Geneva Management Group (GMG) Announces Launch Of New Cryptocurrency Advice Desk - September 25, 2018
- BlockSafe Technologies Rolling out SEC Compliant Security Token Offering - September 25, 2018
- Global Banks Testing Blockchain to Speed up Transactions – 75 join Interbank Information Network (IIN) - September 25, 2018
- ProximaX Sponsors SportsFix Digital StadiumTM for BWF Victor Korea Open - September 25, 2018
- China’s Crypto Mining Behemoth Backs Houston Rockets for the 2018-2019 season - September 20, 2018
- Humanitarian Blockchain Project Humaniq Doubles Number of Nations Where it Brings Better Options for Unbanked - September 20, 2018
- MovieCoin Rolls Out ICO for Security and Utility Tokens - September 17, 2018
- WEF Report: 65+ Ways Blockchain Technology Can Tackle Environmental Challenges - September 17, 2018
- France Goes Bullish on ICOs – Opens Doors to Tokenomics - September 17, 2018