Swirlds, creators of the hashgraph distributed consensus platform, today announced that the company has closed on a $3M seed round led by New Enterprise Associates (NEA).
Since launching last year, the Swirlds platform has rapidly gained traction across a wide swath of categories from gaming to online collaboration to financial services, with pilot programs underway in some of the world’s largest financial consortia and technology companies. The funds will be used to accelerate platform development and drive adoption in key sectors where security and performance are paramount.
“The ways in which organizations and individuals transact is steadily being disrupted, with distributed ledger platforms capturing an ever-growing share of the pie despite significant security and performance hurdles with first-generation technologies,” said Mance Harmon, Swirlds Founder and CEO. “Our hashgraph algorithm offers a radically different approach than existing consensus technologies, enabling enterprises and developers to build and run fully distributed applications that are reliable, fair and secure.”
Until now, consensus technologies have fallen into one of two categories: public networks, such as Bitcoin and Ethereum, or private (permissioned) solutions that use Leader-based consensus algorithms, such as HyperLedger, Enterprise Ethereum Alliance, and R3 Corda. Both have critical shortcomings.
Public networks are expensive to run and have performance constraints resulting from Proof of Work, dramatically limiting the number of applications that can practically use the technology.
Private networks, restrict usage to known and trusted participants. This approach reduces cost and improves performance dramatically, with algorithms capable of achieving 1000 transactions per second compared to seven for Bitcoin. However, relaxed security standards make these networks inherently susceptible to DDoS attacks, which are steadily becoming cheaper and easier to conduct.
Swirlds’ hashgraph algorithm, which requires neither Proof of Work nor a Leader, eliminates the constraints inherent in both public and private networks and delivers low-cost, exceptional performance with no single point of failure. This combination of security and performance enables a new defense against DDoS attacks, even those that leverage IoT devices, while delivering performance of 100,000s of transactions per second.
“The Swirlds hashgraph platform is fundamentally different from other distributed ledger platforms, enabling some of the world’s leading financial and technology businesses to really build, run and scale distributed ledger applications with far greater confidence,” said Tony Florence, General Partner, NEA. “This capability will be increasingly critical, and Swirlds has the potential to be a dominant player in that transformation with its hashgraph platform.”
The patented hashgraph consensus algorithm, developed by Swirlds Co-Founder and CTO Leemon Baird, uses an entirely new protocol to enable distributed and decentralized communities to reach consensus in a fast and secure way. The hashgraph algorithm is resilient to DDoS attacks and ensures mathematically proven fairness in the absolute ordering of transactions. Further technical details of the hashgraph algorithm can be found at the resources below:
- Overview of Swirlds Hashgraph:
- Swirlds and Sybil Attacks:
- Hashgraph Consensus: Fair, Fast, Byzantine Fault Tolerance: http://www.swirlds.com/downloa
- Dictatorship, Democracy, and Blockchain: www.swirlds.com/Dictatorship-D
Swirlds CEO Mance Harmon will be speaking at TechCrunch Disrupt in San Francisco next Tuesday, September 19th. Hashgraph by Swirlds will also be one of the technologies used in the TechCrunch Disrupt Hackathon on September 16th and 17th. Interested participants can register at https://disruptsf2017.devpost.
Swirlds is a platform to build and run shared worlds — fully distributed applications that harness the power of the cloud without servers. Applications built on the Swirlds platform create trust in peer-to-peer networks without a central server, leveraging the hashgraph consensus algorithm to deliver high transaction throughput, low consensus latency, and fairness in transaction order. Rapidly gaining traction across a wide swath of categories from gaming to online collaboration to financial services, Swirlds is building the trust layer of the internet by enabling developers to create fair, fast and secure applications. www.swirlds.com | @Swirlds.
- MIT Professor Silvio Micali’s Algorand Project Announces Date for First Auction - June 6, 2019
- SEC sues Canadian Messaging Service Kik Selling Unregistered Securities in its $100 million ICO - June 4, 2019
- CrowdEngine Teams Up With Polymath Adding Security Token Issuance to List of Crowdfunding Services - June 3, 2019
- Bitcoin Inc. CEO Morgan Rockcoon Busted – 21 Months in Prison and Fines - June 3, 2019
- Reshaping a Nation’s Logistics Sector: Singaporean Blockchain Company PLMP Cuts Multimillion Dollar Deal With Indonesia - June 3, 2019
- Swisscom TV Opens Blockchain-based Art Gallery - June 3, 2019
- Canadian Messaging Service Kik Burns $5 Million Fighting SEC Over Utility Tokens, Now Raising $5 Million More to Continue Battle - June 3, 2019
- Salesforce Introduces CRM Blockchain Platform For Selected Clients - June 3, 2019
- Block.one Plans to Tackle Pitfalls of Social Media With New Blockchain Community Called “Voice” - June 3, 2019
- CasperLabs and Ethereum on Proof of Stake Protocol at CryptoChicks in Toronto, family ran Hack-A-Thon for blockchain family - June 3, 2019
- World Economic Forum Inaugurates Global Blockchain Council to Address Lack of Well-Defined Rules for Working with Blockchain - May 29, 2019
- India’s First Blockchain Powered VoD Platform ‘myNK’ Launches At Cannes Film Festival - May 27, 2019
- New Zealand’s Cryptopia Exchange Packs It In – Announces Liquidation - May 15, 2019
- Canadian Blockchain Expert Alex Tapscott and NextBlock Global Limited to Pay $1M for Misleading Investors - May 15, 2019
- ObEN Launches AI Newscaster With 3D “Satoshi” Avatar to Deliver Content via PAI News App - May 14, 2019
- Leading Freelance Platform Moonlighting Announces First Blockchain Integration Partner – Teams with HireVibes For EOSIO Solution - May 14, 2019
- Polish-UK Blockchain Company Billon awarded €2 million euro from EU to build DLT Document System - May 14, 2019
- City of Belfast and Colu Team up to Create City Loyalty Token to Boost Local Economy and Environment - May 8, 2019
- Fidelity Investments – to Launch Cryptocurrency Trading Desk Soon – Recent Report Shows Clients Want To Trade Digital Assets - May 8, 2019
- Consensys Accelerates Blockchain Investment Portfolio, Consolidates Investment Arms - May 8, 2019