tZERO, a subsidiary of Overstock.com, RenGen, and theArgon Group today announced an exclusive joint venture that teams the market-leading strengths of each company to launch an Alternative Trading System (ATS) that will transform the trading of security tokens issued in Initial Coin Offerings (ICO) in compliance with SEC and FINRA regulations (Joint Venture).
This rapidly emerging asset class of Blockchain-based digital tokens has raised more than $2 billion so far this year and cryptocurrencies overall (including digital tokens) have a current market cap of $137B (per Coinmarketcap.com), making this a huge growth industry. Digital tokens and cryptocurrencies are also changing the face of emerging growth company financing. In the first half of this year, more money was invested in fintech through cryptocurrencies than through venture capital (over $1.2 billion per CNBC).
“With ICO Blockchain offerings surpassing traditional early stage VC funding and U.S. regulators seeking legitimate venues to support security token offerings, with this JV tZERO continues to maintain its leading edge in Blockchain financial technology,” said Patrick Byrne, CEO of Overstock. “tZERO has been at the forefront of the Blockchain revolution for years, working closely with regulators since 2015 – launching the world’s first SEC compliant ATS for Blockchain assets, the first private Blockchain bond offering, and the first ever public issuance of a Blockchain security” continued Dr. Byrne.
“Now, by combining our expertise with Argon’s advisory services and RenGen’s electronic trading, deep liquidity and market making capabilities, we are in a position to launch the only U.S. SEC compliant token trading venue,” concluded Dr. Byrne.
The landmark Joint Venture aims to redefine the way the ICO market looks at security tokens, and enhance liquidity to accelerate market development. Lack of liquidity has been a significant impediment to security token market development. This topic has received much attention since the issuance of the SEC Report on the DAO Release No. 81207 / July 25, 2017, where the SEC made clear that any digital token with an income stream is a security, and furthermore that security tokens may only be traded on an ATS or a National Securities Exchange.
“We have long been advocating that issuing digital tokens as securities gives issuers and purchasers the greatest certainty about the legal regime that applies to the sale and the widest range of options to provide an attractive return for investors,” said Emma Channing, CEO and General Counsel of the Argon Group. “The key issue to date has been the need for an appropriate marketplace to provide liquidity. This joint venture between tZERO, RenGen and Argon has the potential to completely change the face of ICOs.”
The Joint Venture will be built in an exclusive collaboration that draws on the distinct strengths of each company, combining tZERO’s groundbreaking, Blockchain-based trading platform with RenGen’s ability to provide liquidity, market making and algorithm technology, and the Argon Group’s premier ICO advisory experience and security token clients. The Joint Venture will also take advantage ofSaftLaunch for AML and KYC capabilities.
“This Joint Venture allows us to continue achieving our goal of leveraging our existing U.S. equity market infrastructure and smart order routing technologies within the Blockchain space,” said Joe Cammarata, President of tZERO. “I have long believed that securitization is one of the best use cases for Blockchain technology – and the transformative ICO market has proven so,” said Suleyman Duyar, Managing Partner, RenGen LLC. “Patrick Byrne and tZERO had great foresight in developing and registering the first digital ATS, and now, in partnership with Argon, an industry-leading ICO consultancy, we are excited to bring our high volume participation in crypto currencies, technology and trading expertise to this promising venture. It is a very exciting time to be an investor in ICOs.”
- Indian Central Bankers Excludes Cryptocurrency Projects from it’s New Startup Fintech Sandbox - April 19, 2019
- Enterprise Ethereum Alliance Plans to Launch New Token Taxonomy Initiative - April 19, 2019
- Social Blockchain Project BitGive Signs Deal with Uphold - April 19, 2019
- Crypto Wars Continue – Bitcoin’s Self Proclaimed Founder Craig Wright Threatens to Sue Ethereum’s Vitalik Buterin - April 19, 2019
- Gate.io Exchange Releases IEO Startup Platform and Launches First Project with CNNS - April 18, 2019
- Telegram Cuts Deal With Wirecard to Build Blockchain Shared Payment and Banking Solutions For TON - April 17, 2019
- Token-as-a-Service (TaaS) Shuts Down – Distributes Assets to Token Owners - April 17, 2019
- eToroX Launches 8 Stablecoins on New Cryptocurrency Exchange - April 17, 2019
- Powerhouse Production Company Endemol Shine International Partners with Blockchain Startup BitMovio - April 17, 2019
- Huobi Prime’s Second EO Launch – Two Billion NEW Tokens Sold in Six Seconds - April 17, 2019
- Panxora safeguards ICO assets with crypto treasury management service - April 17, 2019
- Turing Award Winner and MIT Cryptographer, Dr. Silvio Micali, Publicly Opens TestNet at VC-backed Algorand Blockchain - April 16, 2019
- Gibraltar Stock Exchange Opens the Doors to Secondary Market for Security Tokens - April 15, 2019
- Bittreo Releases Crypto Brokerage SAAS - April 14, 2019
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) Head Says Cryptocurrency is Shaking the System – Wary Eye on Silicon Valley Data Collectors - April 14, 2019
- US Regulator SEC Issues First ‘No Action’ Letter for Unregistered ICO - April 13, 2019
- Jason Hanania: Architecture of a Technodemocracy – Author Interview - April 12, 2019
- Block.one’s FinLab EOS VC Fund Invests in Moonlighting - April 11, 2019
- Blockstack Files with SEC for Reg A+ Token Offering - April 11, 2019
- US Congress Introduces Bipartisan-Supported Token Taxonomy Act - April 10, 2019