tZERO, a subsidiary of Overstock.com, RenGen, and theArgon Group today announced an exclusive joint venture that teams the market-leading strengths of each company to launch an Alternative Trading System (ATS) that will transform the trading of security tokens issued in Initial Coin Offerings (ICO) in compliance with SEC and FINRA regulations (Joint Venture).
This rapidly emerging asset class of Blockchain-based digital tokens has raised more than $2 billion so far this year and cryptocurrencies overall (including digital tokens) have a current market cap of $137B (per Coinmarketcap.com), making this a huge growth industry. Digital tokens and cryptocurrencies are also changing the face of emerging growth company financing. In the first half of this year, more money was invested in fintech through cryptocurrencies than through venture capital (over $1.2 billion per CNBC).
“With ICO Blockchain offerings surpassing traditional early stage VC funding and U.S. regulators seeking legitimate venues to support security token offerings, with this JV tZERO continues to maintain its leading edge in Blockchain financial technology,” said Patrick Byrne, CEO of Overstock. “tZERO has been at the forefront of the Blockchain revolution for years, working closely with regulators since 2015 – launching the world’s first SEC compliant ATS for Blockchain assets, the first private Blockchain bond offering, and the first ever public issuance of a Blockchain security” continued Dr. Byrne.
“Now, by combining our expertise with Argon’s advisory services and RenGen’s electronic trading, deep liquidity and market making capabilities, we are in a position to launch the only U.S. SEC compliant token trading venue,” concluded Dr. Byrne.
The landmark Joint Venture aims to redefine the way the ICO market looks at security tokens, and enhance liquidity to accelerate market development. Lack of liquidity has been a significant impediment to security token market development. This topic has received much attention since the issuance of the SEC Report on the DAO Release No. 81207 / July 25, 2017, where the SEC made clear that any digital token with an income stream is a security, and furthermore that security tokens may only be traded on an ATS or a National Securities Exchange.
“We have long been advocating that issuing digital tokens as securities gives issuers and purchasers the greatest certainty about the legal regime that applies to the sale and the widest range of options to provide an attractive return for investors,” said Emma Channing, CEO and General Counsel of the Argon Group. “The key issue to date has been the need for an appropriate marketplace to provide liquidity. This joint venture between tZERO, RenGen and Argon has the potential to completely change the face of ICOs.”
The Joint Venture will be built in an exclusive collaboration that draws on the distinct strengths of each company, combining tZERO’s groundbreaking, Blockchain-based trading platform with RenGen’s ability to provide liquidity, market making and algorithm technology, and the Argon Group’s premier ICO advisory experience and security token clients. The Joint Venture will also take advantage ofSaftLaunch for AML and KYC capabilities.
“This Joint Venture allows us to continue achieving our goal of leveraging our existing U.S. equity market infrastructure and smart order routing technologies within the Blockchain space,” said Joe Cammarata, President of tZERO. “I have long believed that securitization is one of the best use cases for Blockchain technology – and the transformative ICO market has proven so,” said Suleyman Duyar, Managing Partner, RenGen LLC. “Patrick Byrne and tZERO had great foresight in developing and registering the first digital ATS, and now, in partnership with Argon, an industry-leading ICO consultancy, we are excited to bring our high volume participation in crypto currencies, technology and trading expertise to this promising venture. It is a very exciting time to be an investor in ICOs.”
- Blockchain-Based Travala.com Teams Up with Dash For Hotel Booking Payments - July 18, 2019
- SEC And FINRA Approves First Reg A+ Token Offerings - July 18, 2019
- Tokinex Tolken Sale Sells out in 35 Seconds - July 18, 2019
- 18 Organisations Launch The Convergence Alliance To Enable A New Open Data Economy Built On The Decentralized Web - July 9, 2019
- Bittrex Acquires Tradedash - July 3, 2019
- Korea’s Cube Systems Rolls Out New Blockchain eCommerce Platform - July 3, 2019
- Clinlogix Joins ALTEN Calsoft in Launching Blockchain for Clinical Trials - July 3, 2019
- Binance Charity forms alliance with 46 companies to unveil a stablecoin for the alleviation of period poverty - July 3, 2019
- Nestlé Breaks from IBM Food Trust Blockchain Group for New Milk Supply Chain Trial - July 3, 2019
- Tokeny Solutions Digital Asset Platform Gets €5 Million Backing from Euronext - July 3, 2019
- Blockchain Venture Capital Funding Reaches $822 Million in 2019 - July 1, 2019
- Toronto’s Creative Destruction Lab Joins Facebook’s Libra Association - June 19, 2019
- Australia’s Power Ledger to bring P2P Energy Trading to Austria - June 19, 2019
- Litecoin Foundation Teams Up With Bibox And Ternio On Special Edition Litecoin Debitcard - June 19, 2019
- US Legislators Call for Halt to Facebook’s Cryptocurrency Plans – And to Face Congress - June 19, 2019
- Hyperledger Welcomes Diverse Line-up of New Members for Identity Project - June 18, 2019
- Facebook Announces Calibra Digital Wallet and Libra Cryptocurrency - June 18, 2019
- MIT Professor Silvio Micali’s Algorand Project Announces Date for First Auction - June 6, 2019
- SEC sues Canadian Messaging Service Kik Selling Unregistered Securities in its $100 million ICO - June 4, 2019
- CrowdEngine Teams Up With Polymath Adding Security Token Issuance to List of Crowdfunding Services - June 3, 2019