Blockchain internet of things (IoT) project Waltonchain and intellectual property (IP) research platform Loci on Monday (Feb 12) announced a strategic partnership that the duo hope will help spread their innovation-spurring technology across two continents.
Waltonchain is a Shenzhen, China-based company that uses RFID tags to track physical goods on a proprietary blockchain. “A simple scan of the RFID tag provides you with all the information you need to know,” explains CoinCentral. “What the product is, where it’s been, who’s handled it, and other important data is all stored on the blockchain through these tags.”
Waltonchain has partnered with a number of big players since its launch in November 2016, including a few Chinese provincial governments. For this latest partnership, it’s selected a relatively new company to provide access to IP and a foothold in the US.
Loci is a Sterling, Virginia-based company whose patent research platform creates what it calls a “3D map of technologies, inventions, patents, ideas, and concepts.” According to a Blockchain News interview with CEO John Wise, the company’s InnVenn tool aims to enable people to discover the “ontology” of a patent or idea and also trade it. The company launched its /LOCI token in October 2017.
The specifics of the partnership between Waltonchain and Loci have not been defined publicly, but a blog post published by Wise outlines three goals:
First, Waltonchain is to become a strategic purchasing partner for the IP on the InnVenn platform. Loci has the means to find, collate, and transfer IP; Waltonchain is located in Shenzhen, “the hardware capital of the world.” The companies hope a synergy can be found here in, roughly, a market-making capacity.
Second, “Waltonchain has selected Loci to locate and help secure a strategic US based incubator,” according to the statement. The idea is somewhat vague here, but it seems that Loci will help set up and then, to some degree, be a member of a Y Combinator-style incubator bankrolled by Waltonchain and provide the Chinese company with access to the burgeoning US startup market. Loci’s IP-trading platform will surely help these companies as well.
Finally, the two companies plan to cross-promote to research institutions. Loci has access to valuable ideas, Waltonchain knows how to make them happen. This pairing, according to Wise, will “deliver a strong offering” to research institutions. “Imagine universities with billion-dollar IP portfolios using InnVenn for IP research and management and Waltonchain purchasing these portfolios to bring these new technologies to the market,” his statement said.
Following news of the partnership (on Feb 12), the /LOCI token showed a minimal bump in trading volume before petering out. Waltonchain’s /WTC performed better, surging by over 26 percent by Feb 15.
- TOOL Global Launches OLO Token To Monetize User Behavior - July 23, 2018
- Stratis Steam Ahead with Sidechains, Third Release This Month - July 2, 2018
- What’s Behind the $575 Million TaTaTu Private Sale? - June 25, 2018
- Constellation Launches Orion Community Portal, Airdrops DAG Tokens - June 22, 2018
- Is Metronome’s “Un-ICO” the Next Cryptocurrency Evolution? - June 18, 2018
- Zenodys Launches Private Sale for CoinZZ Token Ahead of July ICO - June 4, 2018
- Block.one Closes Record $4 Billion ICO of EOS - June 1, 2018
- Guardium ICO Adds XPRIZE’s Peter Diamandis as Participant, Advisor - May 30, 2018
- SingularityNET Launches $100 Million Industry Initiative to Fund and Support AI Blockchain Projects - May 25, 2018
- Bitmain Bets $110 Million That Circle Can Create the One True Stablecoin - May 17, 2018
- Is EOS Dumping Ether? Market Analyst Santiment Thinks Not - May 14, 2018
- Constellation Sets out to Build Fast, Scalable Blockchain Using DAG - April 17, 2018
- Monex Buys Post-Hack Coincheck for $33.5M, Aims For Eventual IPO - April 9, 2018
- Award-Winning Eligma Announces $24M ICO To Unify Online Shopping - April 5, 2018
- Algebraix Launches Public Token Sale With Help From CoinList API - March 29, 2018
- ALAX and Gionee Partner to Bring Mobile Gaming to the World’s Underbanked - March 22, 2018
- Havven Raises $30m for USD-Pegged Stablecoin Network - March 2, 2018
- iOlite Launches Foundation and ICO to Democratize Smart Contracts - March 2, 2018
- Australia’s Shping Launches Token to Change How Advertisers Reach Consumers - February 26, 2018
- HelloGold’s GOLDX: World’s First Shariah-Compliant Crypto Asset - February 21, 2018