Nasdaq CEO Adena Friedman made comments on Wednesday indicating the New York-based securities exchange would consider trading cryptocurrencies once regulations have become more stable.
Friedman told CNBC’s Squawk Box, “Certainly Nasdaq would consider becoming a crypto exchange over time. If we do look at it and say ‘it’s time, people are ready for a more regulated market,’ for something that provides a fair experience for investors.”
Several figures in the cryptocurrency industry commented on the remark, reacting positively to the idea of a more developed regulatory atmosphere.
CEO of UK-based Energi Mine Omar Rahim commented, “The news that Nasdaq is open to becoming a cryptocurrency exchange once the space has matured is a hugely positive sign that greater regulation will spur greater mainstream adoption and recognition. Given Nasdaq’s current role supporting Tyler and Cameron Winklevoss’s cryptocurrency exchange Gemini, it is in an excellent position to provide much needed stability to the turbulent and often difficult to understand crypto-space. The simple fact is we need regulation for the industry to move forward. No one in the industry wants this to be the Wild West. The cryptocurrency community agrees that we need regulation to move forwards, and in the future working with Nasdaq could be an important step in creating such regulation, and the stability it provides.”
OECD Think Tank Special Advisor and Shyft Chairman Joseph Weinberg stated, “[Should Nasdaq become a crypto exchange] this could be a great thing! Regulation, again, is a massive roadblock to something like this happening. You need to solve and create an informed model on self-regulation. By that, I mean how do you operate a bitcoin “marketplace” while at the same time enable a security token exchange? SROs [self-regulatory organizations] take years to build from scratch. It’s not an easy process, but the entity that cracks it unlocks the holy grail in completing the bridge between traditional and the crypto ecosystem.
“There’s a division right now between crypto marketplaces and security token exchanges. However, because it’s all within the same asset class, a proper exchange should be both. Like the derivatives market, it’s highly complex. For example, if you move from a derivative to a future, those are two entirely different models, but it’s effectively two changes in one. Not to mention that crypto tokens present a tonne of edge cases in how they function, which makes the models quite different from the traditional way of thinking about exchanges.
Friedman concluded, “I believe that digital currencies will continue to persist it’s just a matter of how long it will take for that space to mature. Once you look at it and say, ‘do we want to provide a regulated market for this?’ Certainly Nasdaq would consider it.”
- FED Chairman Offers Lukewarm Response On Impact, Utility Of Existing Cryptocurrencies - July 20, 2018
- Boeing Brings In SparkCognition For Help Developing UAV Management Systems - July 19, 2018
- Nervos Network Nets Nearly $30 Million To Build Hybrid Blockchain Platform For Enterprise - July 19, 2018
- Chinese Blockchain Companies Continue To Flourish, If Only In Name - July 18, 2018
- G20 Report Outlines International Collaboration On Standards For Crypto-Assets - July 17, 2018
- Hong Kong Readies Regulator-Backed Trade Finance Platform - July 17, 2018
- RMB to BTC Trading Falls To 1%. Is China Really Out Of The Crypto Game? - July 16, 2018
- Chinese Internet Trends May Spell Trouble For “Disruptive” Crypto Payments - July 13, 2018
- LINE Plans July Cryptocurrency Exchange Launch - July 3, 2018
- McAfee Labs Report 6x Increase in Crypto Mining Malware Incidents in Q1 2018 - June 29, 2018
- Facebook Updates Policy To Allow Vetted Crypto Businesses to Advertise, ICOs Still Banned - June 27, 2018
- Following in Vitalik’s Footsteps? Polkadot’s Habermeier Awarded Thiel Fellowship - June 26, 2018
- SingularityNET and Project Shivom Using AI on Genomic Data to Extend Human Life - June 26, 2018
- Microsoft & EY partner for Royalty Distribution in Gaming - June 26, 2018
- ABBC Foundation to Airdrop ABBC Tokens to First 500,000 Wallet Users - June 25, 2018
- Care Records of up to 30 Million UK NHS Patients go on Blockchain - June 25, 2018
- PundiX Signs UTRUST as Liquidity Clearing Provider for Crypto POS Hardware - June 22, 2018
- Blockchain on the Ballot: Indie Party Candidate Joins Texas Senate Race - June 21, 2018
- IONChain Aims to Challenge IOTA on a Chinese Battleground - June 19, 2018
- Takeaways From SEC Director’s Comments on Cryptocurrencies and Securities - June 19, 2018