The European Union’s challenge to coders to create the best anti-counterfeiting blockchain solution was won by Team Cryptomice from Italy, which scooped a EUR 25,000 prize for its “virtual twin” method of physical verification.
The inaugural EU Blockathon 2018 was held by the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) and the European Commission on 22 – 25 June and winners were announced at a ceremony in Brussels, according to a press release.
The organisers of the event said the Blockathon aims to harness the potential of blockchain technology to protect supply chains against counterfeits.
Eleven teams of coders participated over 48 hours to co-create a series of anti-counterfeiting blockchain solutions for consumers, enforcement authorities, logistic operators and businesses.
Team Cryptomice’s work involved creating a “virtual twin” product which cannot be cloned or falsified and which is linked to the physical product, then registered on the blockchain, and sent ahead of the physical product for verification.
Team Fides won the Consumer Challenge and the Customs challenge with their “Goodchain” solution which helps customers engage with brand owners to boost social causes, while helping them to identify counterfeit products.
Other solutions that impressed the judges were the “Trusttrack” from the Pirate Busters team, which works to support border customs in identifying efficiencies, with the aim of attaining a higher success rate in stopping fakes, as well as Team Seal’s work based around Self Sovereign Digital Twins and a parcel for secure shipments called Rootbox.
According to EUIPO research some EUR 60 billion is directly lost each year due to counterfeiting in 13 key economic sectors – approximately 7.5 percent of total sales, equating to EUR 116 per EU citizen per year.
The EU Blockathon springs from the idea that blockchain technologies have great potential in the fight against intellectual property rights infringement,” said António Campinos Executive Director of the EUIPO. “The solutions developed here by these bright groups of coders will, hopefully, have a part to play in that fight, as we work to try to stop counterfeiting both online and offline.”
The EU Blockathon event coincided with the signing of a MoU on Online Advertising and Intellectual Property Rights aimed at minimizing adverts which are known to infringe copyright or disseminate counterfeit goods.
- Fujitsu’s Business Analysis Service Offers Speedy Crypto Project Review - July 13, 2018
- Binance Backs Malta’s Decentralized Founders Bank - July 13, 2018
- Self-Regulation is an Option for Crypto Exchanges: AEI - July 12, 2018
- Pundi X Puts POS in Hong Kong Restaurants - July 12, 2018
- TokenPay Strikes Deal With Litecoin to Buy Stake in WEG Bank - July 12, 2018
- ConsenSys Joins Blockchain Consortium to Disrupt Mineral Trading - July 11, 2018
- Loom’s Popular dApps Enable Ethereum Development at Scale - July 11, 2018
- Crypto Theft Surges in 2018. This Company Offers a Solution - July 11, 2018
- Token Gesture by SEC Director William Hinman - July 10, 2018
- Block.One Brings in Jefferies Asia Head to Lead EOS VC - July 9, 2018
- IBM Wins Billion Dollar Blockchain Contract in Australia - July 9, 2018
- Blockchain Banking Milestone: European Banks Complete First Live Trades on We.Trade Platform - July 5, 2018
- Tax Authorities Unite to Target Cryptocurrency Crime - July 5, 2018
- Globacap Raising Capital on Own Platform with UK FCA Backing - July 5, 2018
- Blockchain Close to Breakout Moment: Deloitte Survey - July 5, 2018
- Survey Finds Turkey is Europe’s Most Crypto-Friendly Nation - July 4, 2018
- Music Streamer Choon Starts Public Sale After Banking $2 Million - July 4, 2018
- Russian Military Sets Up Blockchain Research Lab - July 3, 2018
- TrustLogics Recruitment Platform Wins Stevie Award - July 3, 2018
- IP Gold Ditches Ethereum for NEM Blockchain - July 2, 2018
- Binance Labs Lead $12 Million Funding Round for StartUp Access Platform Republic - July 2, 2018
- Are Digital IDs the Start of a Blockchain-Based Service Economy for the Cayman Islands? - July 2, 2018
- QRL Launches Quantum Resistant Blockchain - June 29, 2018
- User Friendly Exchange Targets US Crypto Newbies - June 29, 2018
- Dash Doc Highlights Digital Currency Solution for Zimbabwe - June 28, 2018
- Virtual Twin Method Wins EU Anti Counterfeit Challenge - June 27, 2018
- Stanford University Takes Blockchain Leap - June 27, 2018
- Dutch Airport Adds Bitcoin ATM for Euro Exchange - June 26, 2018
- SharesPost Gets $15 Million to Expand Security Token Trading - June 25, 2018
- Eidoo Unveils Crypto Sculpture in London - June 25, 2018
- Canada: a Blockchain Testing Ground for Cannabis Cultivators - June 22, 2018
- Medicalchain Inks Deal with Mayo Clinic to Advance Health Tech - June 21, 2018
- TrustToken Raises $20 Million with Major VC Support - June 21, 2018
- Adents Adds Microsoft AI to NovaTrack Supply Platform - June 20, 2018
- AlphaPoint Raises $15 Million with Galaxy Ventures Funding - June 19, 2018
- Fractional Shares in Robinhood, Ripple and Didi Available From Swarm Fund - June 19, 2018
- WAVES Tokens Take a Ride on OKEX Exchange - June 18, 2018
- Europe’s Leading Parking Services Network Launches ICO - June 18, 2018
- Hdac Scores with World Cup TV Blockchain Advert - June 15, 2018
- Swedish Sports Brand Puts Same-Sex Marriage on the Blockchain - June 15, 2018
- Whale Hunter Spiking Links with AntShares Founder’s Latest Blockchain, Nebulas - June 15, 2018
- Swytch Pilots Clean Energy Rewards in Germany, Launches ICO - June 14, 2018
- Coinbase Opens Index Fund for Investments up to $20 Million - June 14, 2018
- South Africa Reserve Bank Makes Progress with Quorum Blockchain Pilot - June 12, 2018
- Wallets and Exchanges Fail Identity Check Test - June 12, 2018
- Now ‘Ask Juliet’ for Crypto Tips on TokenAI - June 11, 2018
- Iconic Warhol on Slate at Blockchain Auction - June 8, 2018
- “Quasi Unicorn” Hyperchain Seals RMB 1.5 Billion Financing - June 8, 2018
- COBINHOOD Launches DEXON Platform for Faster Processing - June 7, 2018
- Subway Jumps on FoodLogiQ Supply Chain Pilot - June 7, 2018