Tokyo-based messaging application LINE on Thursday announced the upcoming release of BITBOX, a cryptocurrency exchange available to residents of any country excluding Japan and the United States.
The launch, which is planned for July, is in partnership with LVC Corporation, a LINE group business operating the organization’s cryptocurrency and blockchain elements.
The BITBOX exchange will enable the trading of over 30 cryptocurrencies at launch, including Bitcoin (BTC), Ethereum (ETH), Bitcoin Cash (BCH), and Litecoin (LTC), selected after review by a listing committee of experts. The exchange will support 15 languages, excluding Japanese, and will offer a zero trading commission for new BITBOX users for a month following the launch date.
The trading spread on the BITBOX market will be 0.1 percent. LINE has also stated that the organization will engage in cryptocurrency business in compliance with rules and regulations of the respective countries they operate in. The exchange will follow LINE’s other financial services, like LINE Pay that has transacted over USD 4.1 billion.
LINE has filed an application with Japan’s financial regulator, the Financial Service Agency, which remained under review at the time of the announcement. The company said the decision to exclude Japan and the US was based on regulatory hurdles to operate in those countries.
“LINE strives to create and provide innovative financial services unique to LINE in order to close the distance between people and money,” the company wrote. “BITBOX only allows the exchange of cryptocurrencies, and does not accept exchange between fiat money and cryptocurrencies.”
The BITBOX exchange will be administered by Singapore-based LINE Tech Plus PTE Ltd. The LINE Corporation has an annual revenue of over USD 1.5 billion and boasted more than 217 million active users in 2016 with over 560 million registered users worldwide. The company employs nearly 1,700 people across the globe, and 70 million of their active users are based in Japan.
- FED Chairman Offers Lukewarm Response On Impact, Utility Of Existing Cryptocurrencies - July 20, 2018
- Boeing Brings In SparkCognition For Help Developing UAV Management Systems - July 19, 2018
- Nervos Network Nets Nearly $30 Million To Build Hybrid Blockchain Platform For Enterprise - July 19, 2018
- Chinese Blockchain Companies Continue To Flourish, If Only In Name - July 18, 2018
- G20 Report Outlines International Collaboration On Standards For Crypto-Assets - July 17, 2018
- Hong Kong Readies Regulator-Backed Trade Finance Platform - July 17, 2018
- RMB to BTC Trading Falls To 1%. Is China Really Out Of The Crypto Game? - July 16, 2018
- Chinese Internet Trends May Spell Trouble For “Disruptive” Crypto Payments - July 13, 2018
- LINE Plans July Cryptocurrency Exchange Launch - July 3, 2018
- McAfee Labs Report 6x Increase in Crypto Mining Malware Incidents in Q1 2018 - June 29, 2018
- Facebook Updates Policy To Allow Vetted Crypto Businesses to Advertise, ICOs Still Banned - June 27, 2018
- Following in Vitalik’s Footsteps? Polkadot’s Habermeier Awarded Thiel Fellowship - June 26, 2018
- SingularityNET and Project Shivom Using AI on Genomic Data to Extend Human Life - June 26, 2018
- Microsoft & EY partner for Royalty Distribution in Gaming - June 26, 2018
- ABBC Foundation to Airdrop ABBC Tokens to First 500,000 Wallet Users - June 25, 2018
- Care Records of up to 30 Million UK NHS Patients go on Blockchain - June 25, 2018
- PundiX Signs UTRUST as Liquidity Clearing Provider for Crypto POS Hardware - June 22, 2018
- Blockchain on the Ballot: Indie Party Candidate Joins Texas Senate Race - June 21, 2018
- IONChain Aims to Challenge IOTA on a Chinese Battleground - June 19, 2018
- Takeaways From SEC Director’s Comments on Cryptocurrencies and Securities - June 19, 2018