Civil, a new, decentralized platform for independent sustainable journalism, is launching an initial coin offering (ICO) of /CVL tokens with the aim of promoting and regulating ethical practices for journalists and newsrooms, according to a statement released on Wednesday.
With the introduction of blockchain and cryptoeconomics to its platform, Civil claims to be developing is a radically new operating model for journalism. Journalists who launch newsrooms on Civil will be beholden to their readers alone, Civil said. This contrasts with the current, programmatic advertising model, where publishers are incentivized to satisfy centralized platforms, like Google and Facebook, as well as advertisers and shareholders, irrespective of whether those decisions allow them to produce quality, ethical journalism.
Civil says its CVL token is not intended to be an investment and every participant will pay the same price so that everyone can contribute to the development of sustainable journalism. As part of this design, registered purchasers must answer and pass a questionnaire, be otherwise approved, and finally, demonstrate ‘Proof of Use’ to ensure CVL tokens are used as intended.
According to the company, by staking tokens, providing a mission statement, newsroom roster and a pledge to abide by the Civil Constitution, CVL token holders can start their own newsroom on Civil. Token holders can also challenge newsrooms in a mechanism designed to expose wrongdoing. In order to make a challenge, users stake CVL tokens to a Challenge smart contract by reference to a particular Newsroom along with a specific description of the violation and any supporting evidence. This action would initiate a community review of the matter.
The /CVL token sale will commence on August 13, running until August 27, unless a hard cap of $32 million USD has been achieved beforehand.
Once the token sale has been completed, the Civil protocol and platform will be controlled
by a decentralized, global network committed to supporting a free and sustainable press, the company said.
- Civil Wants to Make News More Ethical - July 23, 2018
- GeTS Links ASEAN and China with Cross Border Trade Blockchain - July 20, 2018
- A SVPER Secure Instant Video Dating Network - July 20, 2018
- Change Launches Mobile App for Fee-Free Crypto Trading - July 20, 2018
- IAB Tech Lab Lifts Veil on Digital Advertising Potential - July 19, 2018
- Grid7 Gets $1 Million DOE Grant for Decentralized Energy Grid - July 19, 2018
- Seth Shapiro’s Blockchain TV Platform Wants to Improve on Netflix with “Proof of Engagement” - July 19, 2018
- Korean Fund Hashed Backs Ad Platform XCHNG - July 18, 2018
- TaTaTu is Giving Away $50 Million in Tokens - July 17, 2018
- CoinFlip Adds Dash to US Crypto ATM Network - July 17, 2018
- UK Can Become Blockchain Leader by 2022: Report - July 17, 2018
- Tezos Offers Innovation Grants for Platform Projects - July 16, 2018
- Content Protection Platform Typerium Files Patents - July 16, 2018
- 4NEW is Mining Crypto with Waste Power - July 16, 2018
- Fujitsu’s Business Analysis Service Offers Speedy Crypto Project Review - July 13, 2018
- Binance Backs Malta’s Decentralized Founders Bank - July 13, 2018
- Self-Regulation is an Option for Crypto Exchanges: AEI - July 12, 2018
- Pundi X Puts POS in Hong Kong Restaurants - July 12, 2018
- TokenPay Strikes Deal With Litecoin to Buy Stake in WEG Bank - July 12, 2018
- ConsenSys Joins Blockchain Consortium to Disrupt Mineral Trading - July 11, 2018