Blockchain research and development company IOHK has launched its first open source project, Cardano Rust – opening up the technology to a wide range of third-party developers.
Charles Hoskinson, Chief Executive Officer of IOHK, said:
“It’s been incredible to watch Cardano take shape over the past year. The Rust project now connects Cardano to a wealth of developers and opens the door for further growth of the Cardano community. We’re excited to see what applications developers create for the Cardano ecosystem as it becomes the leading technology in the industry.”
The Cardano Rust project is a toolbox for developers who want to build products for its blockchain. This repository provides developers with a library of functions that they can use to seamlessly build and integrate their decentralized applications for Cardano – including products for mobile devices.
The release comes as Cardano marks the first anniversary of the launch of its blockchain and the Ada cryptocurrency. The anniversary was marked with a special event in Tokyo organised by Emurgo, the venture builders for Cardano, with presentations from Ken Kodama, CEO of Emurgo, and Charles Hoskinson, CEO of IOHK.
The first product IOHK has released under the project is a wallet for the Ada cryptocurrency. The wallet runs on a user’s device as a fast, flexible, standalone application and uses a command-line interface. With a development kit included, the CLI wallet can also be used by developers as the basis to build decentralized applications.
Lars Brünjes, IOHK Director of Education, said: “We are pleased and excited to announce the release of the Cardano Rust project. Rust-Cardano is an API for the Cardano blockchain, written in Rust, the Cardano-CLI is a command-line interface and wallet for Cardano built on top of this library. With these tools in hand, it will be easy for developers to write software targeting the Cardano infrastructure for many different platforms – including mobile – and we can’t wait to see all the amazing things the community will create with them.”
The Rust project operates in tandem with the Cardano settlement layer, which is written in the Haskell programming language, a rigorous programming language used for mission-critical applications and protocols. Rust is a lightweight, portable, and fast programming language, that is compatible with web, iOS, and Android platforms and popular with third-party developers.
- New Zealand’s Cryptopia Exchange Packs It In – Announces Liquidation - May 15, 2019
- Canadian Blockchain Expert Alex Tapscott and NextBlock Global Limited to Pay $1M for Misleading Investors - May 15, 2019
- ObEN Launches AI Newscaster With 3D “Satoshi” Avatar to Deliver Content via PAI News App - May 14, 2019
- Leading Freelance Platform Moonlighting Announces First Blockchain Integration Partner – Teams with HireVibes For EOSIO Solution - May 14, 2019
- Polish-UK Blockchain Company Billon awarded €2 million euro from EU to build DLT Document System - May 14, 2019
- City of Belfast and Colu Team up to Create City Loyalty Token to Boost Local Economy and Environment - May 8, 2019
- Fidelity Investments – to Launch Cryptocurrency Trading Desk Soon – Recent Report Shows Clients Want To Trade Digital Assets - May 8, 2019
- Consensys Accelerates Blockchain Investment Portfolio, Consolidates Investment Arms - May 8, 2019
- IBM to Track Fresh Shrimp on the Blockchain - May 8, 2019
- Binance Cryptocurrency Exchange Hacked for 7000 BTC (USD $40 million) - May 8, 2019
- Gate.io Reports Success on First Three Successful IEO Projects - May 8, 2019
- Deloitte and RIDDLE&CODE expand partnership to enable the Token Economy - May 8, 2019
- Alprockz Partners with Fusion Foundation to Accelerate Swiss Franc-backed Stablecoin - May 6, 2019
- Major Canadian Banks Choose Blockchain Solution for Identity Verification - May 6, 2019
- Big Pharma Giant Pfizer and Others Join Life Sciences and Healthcare Blockchain Project MediLedger - May 6, 2019
- Craig Wright Pressured to Produce Evidence of Bitcoin and Blind Trust in the Dave Kleiman vs Craig Wright 1.1 Million BTC Court Case - May 6, 2019
- Facebook Kicks Off with their New Cryptocurrency Project Libra - May 6, 2019
- Vanbex Fights Back Against Asset Seizure in Civil Case by Suing Former Contractor for Libel - May 6, 2019
- Philippines’ CEZA Awards ADAX Rights to Open a Security Token Issuance platform and Security Trading Exchange - May 6, 2019
- Bitfinex $1 Billion IEO Details Leaked – Plans To Use Money To Cover Frozen Funds - May 6, 2019