Blockchain research and development company IOHK has launched its first open source project, Cardano Rust – opening up the technology to a wide range of third-party developers.
Charles Hoskinson, Chief Executive Officer of IOHK, said:
“It’s been incredible to watch Cardano take shape over the past year. The Rust project now connects Cardano to a wealth of developers and opens the door for further growth of the Cardano community. We’re excited to see what applications developers create for the Cardano ecosystem as it becomes the leading technology in the industry.”
The Cardano Rust project is a toolbox for developers who want to build products for its blockchain. This repository provides developers with a library of functions that they can use to seamlessly build and integrate their decentralized applications for Cardano – including products for mobile devices.
The release comes as Cardano marks the first anniversary of the launch of its blockchain and the Ada cryptocurrency. The anniversary was marked with a special event in Tokyo organised by Emurgo, the venture builders for Cardano, with presentations from Ken Kodama, CEO of Emurgo, and Charles Hoskinson, CEO of IOHK.
The first product IOHK has released under the project is a wallet for the Ada cryptocurrency. The wallet runs on a user’s device as a fast, flexible, standalone application and uses a command-line interface. With a development kit included, the CLI wallet can also be used by developers as the basis to build decentralized applications.
Lars Brünjes, IOHK Director of Education, said: “We are pleased and excited to announce the release of the Cardano Rust project. Rust-Cardano is an API for the Cardano blockchain, written in Rust, the Cardano-CLI is a command-line interface and wallet for Cardano built on top of this library. With these tools in hand, it will be easy for developers to write software targeting the Cardano infrastructure for many different platforms – including mobile – and we can’t wait to see all the amazing things the community will create with them.”
The Rust project operates in tandem with the Cardano settlement layer, which is written in the Haskell programming language, a rigorous programming language used for mission-critical applications and protocols. Rust is a lightweight, portable, and fast programming language, that is compatible with web, iOS, and Android platforms and popular with third-party developers.
- Dutch Police Bust CEO of Blockchain Game Firm, Komodore64 – €78 million Gone? - November 13, 2019
- Celsius Hits over $4 Billion in Crypto Loans – Leading the Industry - November 12, 2019
- Coinbase Introduces Staking Rewards on Tezos - November 6, 2019
- Volvo Cars to implement blockchain traceability of cobalt used in electric car batteries - November 6, 2019
- EU-Funded Acceleration Project, LEDGER, Offering Support Services and Up to €200k Equity-Free for Blockchain Data Governance Projects - November 6, 2019
- Global Financial System Regulators – the Financial Action Task Force – Issue Draft Guidance on Digital Identity - November 5, 2019
- David Chaum Releases XX Alpha Messenger Promising Unprecedented User Privacy - November 5, 2019
- Æternity Blockchain Developers Plan to Take On Ethereum With Final Hardfork – Handing over Governance to the Community - November 5, 2019
- Researchers Claim Cross-border B2B Blockchain Transactions set to Explode to $4.4 Trillion by 2024 - November 5, 2019
- Global Companies Unite to Unveil Comprehensive Framework for Tokenization – It’s About Time - November 5, 2019
- Microsoft Kicks Off Enterprise-ready Crypto Token Platform On Azure – Predicts Tokenization Is A Pillar Of The Coming Revolution In Multi-Party Applications That Blockchain Technology Ushered In - November 5, 2019
- Polish-British Blockchain Company Billon to Digitise Euro in Deal with Raiffeisen Bank International - November 5, 2019
- 500.com Limited Releases Intel on Blockchain Technology for China’s Lottery Industry - November 4, 2019
- Oxfam, Etherisc, and Aon Find Success with First Blockchain-Based Agricultural Insurance Policies for Smallholder Farmers in Sri Lanka - November 4, 2019
- Interview: Brock Pierce and Two Prime’s Alexander S. Blum - November 4, 2019
- Samsung Bullish on Blockchain – Pushing for Developers on New Samsung Blockchain Platform SDK - November 1, 2019
- Busted: SEC and CFTC Nail First Global Credit – a Swiss Security-Based Bitcoin Swaps Dealer That Allegedly Aimed at American Investors - November 1, 2019
- Zilliqa and Oxford Women in Computer Science Society Join to Bring Diversity to Blockchain Sector - November 1, 2019
- VeganNation Add Brazilian Football Superstar Cafu to It’s Advisory Board - October 31, 2019
- Alliance Investments Announces Plans Tokenization of £500m in UK Real Estate in STOs - October 31, 2019