Blockchain research and development company IOHK has launched its first open source project, Cardano Rust – opening up the technology to a wide range of third-party developers.
Charles Hoskinson, Chief Executive Officer of IOHK, said:
“It’s been incredible to watch Cardano take shape over the past year. The Rust project now connects Cardano to a wealth of developers and opens the door for further growth of the Cardano community. We’re excited to see what applications developers create for the Cardano ecosystem as it becomes the leading technology in the industry.”
The Cardano Rust project is a toolbox for developers who want to build products for its blockchain. This repository provides developers with a library of functions that they can use to seamlessly build and integrate their decentralized applications for Cardano – including products for mobile devices.
The release comes as Cardano marks the first anniversary of the launch of its blockchain and the Ada cryptocurrency. The anniversary was marked with a special event in Tokyo organised by Emurgo, the venture builders for Cardano, with presentations from Ken Kodama, CEO of Emurgo, and Charles Hoskinson, CEO of IOHK.
The first product IOHK has released under the project is a wallet for the Ada cryptocurrency. The wallet runs on a user’s device as a fast, flexible, standalone application and uses a command-line interface. With a development kit included, the CLI wallet can also be used by developers as the basis to build decentralized applications.
Lars Brünjes, IOHK Director of Education, said: “We are pleased and excited to announce the release of the Cardano Rust project. Rust-Cardano is an API for the Cardano blockchain, written in Rust, the Cardano-CLI is a command-line interface and wallet for Cardano built on top of this library. With these tools in hand, it will be easy for developers to write software targeting the Cardano infrastructure for many different platforms – including mobile – and we can’t wait to see all the amazing things the community will create with them.”
The Rust project operates in tandem with the Cardano settlement layer, which is written in the Haskell programming language, a rigorous programming language used for mission-critical applications and protocols. Rust is a lightweight, portable, and fast programming language, that is compatible with web, iOS, and Android platforms and popular with third-party developers.
- NEM Foundation’s Founder Lon Wong Becomes SportsFix Chief Technology Advisor - October 10, 2018
- Medici Ventures Backs Wine Blockchain Project VinX - October 4, 2018
- Lithuanian Members of European Parliament Say Blockchain is Here to Stay – Hands Off Regulation! - October 4, 2018
- New Open Source Blockchain Project To Challenge Experian And Equifax - October 2, 2018
- IOHK Launches Cardano Rust Project - October 2, 2018
- Hyperledger and Enterprise Ethereum Alliance Cut Deal to Advance the Global Blockchain Business Ecosystem - October 2, 2018
- Binance Labs Supports Decentralized Global Content Ecosystem Contentos - October 2, 2018
- Nexus Partners with Jeff Garzik’s SpaceChain – Planning Spacenet - September 27, 2018
- Ripple Unveils Ripple for Good, Plans $100 Million Philanthropy Fund - September 27, 2018
- Electroneum Roars into Top 50 cryptocurrencies - September 27, 2018
- Zcoin Implements Dandelion – Better Privacy on the Blockchain - September 26, 2018
- Leading Global Wealth Management Firm, The Geneva Management Group (GMG) Announces Launch Of New Cryptocurrency Advice Desk - September 25, 2018
- BlockSafe Technologies Rolling out SEC Compliant Security Token Offering - September 25, 2018
- Global Banks Testing Blockchain to Speed up Transactions – 75 join Interbank Information Network (IIN) - September 25, 2018
- ProximaX Sponsors SportsFix Digital StadiumTM for BWF Victor Korea Open - September 25, 2018
- China’s Crypto Mining Behemoth Backs Houston Rockets for the 2018-2019 season - September 20, 2018
- Humanitarian Blockchain Project Humaniq Doubles Number of Nations Where it Brings Better Options for Unbanked - September 20, 2018
- MovieCoin Rolls Out ICO for Security and Utility Tokens - September 17, 2018
- WEF Report: 65+ Ways Blockchain Technology Can Tackle Environmental Challenges - September 17, 2018
- France Goes Bullish on ICOs – Opens Doors to Tokenomics - September 17, 2018