BLOCKStrain Technology Corp. has recently, in a partnership with WeedMD Inc. created the world’s first cannabis validation testing program. CFN Media Group, the leading agency and financial media network dedicated to the North American cannabis industry, just published an article discussing the valuable partnership.
The cannabis industry has recently been expanding at a breakneck pace across North America and around the world. While the industry is heavily regulated, the rapid growth rates have led some companies to cut corners and favor quantity over quality. Contaminated and mislabeled products have become commonplace as regulators struggle to find ways to ensure product safety and efficacy without making costs so high that the black market returns.
BLOCKStrain Technology Corp. recognized these issues several years ago and began developing an innovative blockchain-powered solution. Unlike conventional databases, blockchain technology makes it easy to build highly-secure, highly-scalable, and immutable records that support billions of data points—whether they’re transactions, genetics, or tests.
Why Validation is Important
The cannabis industry is projected to exceed $146 billion by 2025, according to Grand View Research, driven by the legalization of medical and adult-use cannabis in North America and around the world. Despite the rapid growth, cannabis companies face several challenges as they ramp up production to meet consumer demand, consumers have trouble understanding what they’re buying, and regulators are struggling to keep pace.
For example, many cultivators and dispensaries have been forced to repurpose existing software solutions to comply with seed-to-sale regulations. Governments often require cultivators to submit data on government portals or even spreadsheets. These approaches take a lot of time and are prone to data loss, data theft, and a host of other problems, while they’re also difficult to search and understand for regulators.
There’s also no way for consumers to access reliable information about the products that they purchase—they must rely on brands that have only been around for a year or two. One recent study found that 35 percent of more than 80 strains tested had genetics that didn’t match the strain that was being sold. Consumers were buying Sativa strains that were advertised as Indica and Indica strains being advertised as Sativa.
BLOCKStrain & WeedMD Launch
BLOCKStrain and WeedMD recently announced a first-of-its-kind cannabis strain validation registration program. After collecting and registering DNA at its Ontario facility, WeedMD became the first licensed producer in the world to incorporate cannabis strain authenticity and tracking platform into its sales program. The information is now available in BLOCKStrain’s Master Genome Strain Registration and Clone Strain Registration database.
“For years, consumers have been purchasing cannabis products with very little information on what exactly is being purchased,” said Robert Galarza, CEO of BLOCKStrain, in a recent press release announcing the landmark development. “[Now they can] trace strain origin and their CBD/THC content, along with all other pertinent information … Producers can [also] guarantee their strains and provide customers with product assuredness.”
BLOCKStrain scientists gather all information from the plant genome, including molecular and chemical makeup, and store the information in an immutable blockchain database. With its open architecture, consumers, licensed producers, regulators, and other parties can easily use the database as a valuable reference. Quick response (QR) barcodes specific to each plant batch will show how it was cloned and cultivated along with its cannabinoid content.
BLOCKStrain Technology Corp. plans to roll out this program to a growing number of licensed producers, cultivators, dispensaries, and other cannabis operations around the world. With a proof of concept live and in action, the company could have a much easier time convincing other parties to adopt the technology. The goal is to help deliver transparency to growers, retailers, regulators and consumers worldwide.
- ShelterZoom Creates Contract and Transaction Management Platform Marking New Contract Evolution on Blockchain - April 19, 2019
- Samsung SDS and Tech Mahindra Join to Explore Global Blockchain Market using Samsung’s Nexledger Platform - April 15, 2019
- Kudelski Security Partners with BTblock, fusing Blockchain Consulting with Technology for better Cybersecurity and Design - April 14, 2019
- Albertsons Companies is Joining Blockchain-based IBM Food Trust Network to Pilot Technology to Increase food Transparency - April 11, 2019
- Opera Announces Brand New Browser for Mac, Windows and Linux with Crypto Wallet, Web 3 Explorer and a free VPN - April 9, 2019
- Blockchain Platform Insolar Accepted into BiTA, Advancing its Mission of Furthering Blockchain Adoption - April 9, 2019
- Blockchain Technology Expected to Grow 66.4% in next 5 Years According to MRFR Research Findings - April 8, 2019
- Japanese Trading Platform Liquid Achieves Unicorn Status through Investments from IDG Capital and Bitmain Technologies - April 8, 2019
- 105 Organizations Announce Commitment to New Blockchain Association INATBA Created by the European Union - April 6, 2019
- Start Up Energy Transition (SET) names Blockchain Company Insolar amongst Top 100 Tech Innovators - April 4, 2019
- Bitwise Asset Management report Claims 95% of Bitcoin Trading Volumes are Fake, Overstating True Size of the Market - March 30, 2019
- Flipside Crypto’s Release of the FCAS25 Mechanism Shows Health of Crypto Industry has been on the Rise through 2018/19. - March 29, 2019
- Digix is launching DigixDao Platform, Joining Ranks of Pioneering Decentralised Autonomous Organisations in Singapore - March 28, 2019
- Quedex on Brink of Becoming World’s First Regulated Crypto-Centric Futures and Options Exchange, after in-principle Decision from GFSC - March 27, 2019
- Ugandan Orphanage able to Sustain Itself through Cryptocurrency Donations from Listeners of National Radio Show - March 26, 2019
- Blockchain-based Entertainment Platform ‘Blue Baikal’ opens Pre-Registration Event Connecting Producers, Influencers and Consumers - March 26, 2019
- French Crypto-Friendly Pacte Law Passes Second Reading in National Assembly, Senate Next - March 25, 2019
- Bamboo Capital Partners, Government of Togo and Moeda Seeds Bank Join to Launch the Bloc fund to Consolidate Social Development - March 25, 2019
- Western Union Joins Stellar Partner Thunes to Use Blockchain to Speed Up Transfers - March 25, 2019
- Dragonchain Announces Partnership with Humanitarian Organization M2030, Facilitating Donation Processes with Blockchain to Fight Malaria - March 21, 2019