Russian news outlet RNS reported on Friday, March 28, 2019 that VK (short for VKontakte) is working on creating its own cryptocurrency, but the final decision on its launch has not yet been made.
As of August 2018, VK had at least 500 million accounts and is ranked 15th (as of February 2019) in Alexa’s global Top 500 sites. It is the most popular website in Russia and according to SimilarWeb, VK is the 9th most visited website in the world.
A presentation, which ended up in the hands of editors at RNS, showed they are looking at options to create a utility token which would allow for the spending and earning of a cryptocurrency within the platform. Members can accumulate tokens, transfer to other members, and exchange the tokens for tangible goods and converted via VK Pay.
More from RNS:
“Users will also be able to receive cryptocurrency for interesting publications on the social network: users, along with the likes, will be able to share the currency with the authors of publications, similarly – it could work with reposts and comments. The press service of “VKontakte” declined to comment.”
According to VKontakte, the number of active users of a social network per month is 97 million, users send 6.5 billion messages daily and make 1 billion Likes, the number of video views is 550 million per day.
Facebook also recently announced they are looking to launch a token for WhatsApp sometime in 2019. The New York Times broke the story that Facebook is planning to launch its own cryptocurrency as early as the first half of this year.
- ArcBlock Partners with Ride-Sharing Service GoFun to Develop Services and DApps on Blockchain - November 20, 2019
- Hacktivist Phineas Fisher Cracks Cayman National Bank and Trust – Offers $100,000 Bitcoin/Monero Bounty To Other to Hack Banks, Big Companies - November 20, 2019
- Graph Blockchain to Acquire Shroom Street – Cracking Psychedelics Market - November 20, 2019
- OpEd: Burned By Bitwala – Visa Card Money Gone When Wavecrest Wound Down - November 19, 2019
- Chinese Military Eyes Blockchain Technology for Rewards Programme – Boosting Training and Gamifying System - November 18, 2019
- FinCEN Boss: American Regulators to Strictly Enforce AML in Crypto Industry - November 18, 2019
- Visa’s Rolls Out New Blockchain LucidiTEE – Tackles Concerns related to misuse of sensitive user data, when shared with third-parties. - November 18, 2019
- Utrust Joins Forces with Alternative Airlines for Flight Bookings with Crypto - November 13, 2019
- Dark Web Drug Dealer Pleads Guilty To Using Cryptocurrency to Launder More Than $19 Million - November 13, 2019
- Dutch Police Bust CEO of Blockchain Game Firm, Komodore64 – €78 million Gone? - November 13, 2019
- Celsius Hits over $4 Billion in Crypto Loans – Leading the Industry - November 12, 2019
- Coinbase Introduces Staking Rewards on Tezos - November 6, 2019
- Volvo Cars to implement blockchain traceability of cobalt used in electric car batteries - November 6, 2019
- EU-Funded Acceleration Project, LEDGER, Offering Support Services and Up to €200k Equity-Free for Blockchain Data Governance Projects - November 6, 2019
- Global Financial System Regulators – the Financial Action Task Force – Issue Draft Guidance on Digital Identity - November 5, 2019
- David Chaum Releases XX Alpha Messenger Promising Unprecedented User Privacy - November 5, 2019
- Æternity Blockchain Developers Plan to Take On Ethereum With Final Hardfork – Handing over Governance to the Community - November 5, 2019
- Researchers Claim Cross-border B2B Blockchain Transactions set to Explode to $4.4 Trillion by 2024 - November 5, 2019
- Global Companies Unite to Unveil Comprehensive Framework for Tokenization – It’s About Time - November 5, 2019
- Microsoft Kicks Off Enterprise-ready Crypto Token Platform On Azure – Predicts Tokenization Is A Pillar Of The Coming Revolution In Multi-Party Applications That Blockchain Technology Ushered In - November 5, 2019