Russian news outlet RNS reported on Friday, March 28, 2019 that VK (short for VKontakte) is working on creating its own cryptocurrency, but the final decision on its launch has not yet been made.
As of August 2018, VK had at least 500 million accounts and is ranked 15th (as of February 2019) in Alexa’s global Top 500 sites. It is the most popular website in Russia and according to SimilarWeb, VK is the 9th most visited website in the world.
A presentation, which ended up in the hands of editors at RNS, showed they are looking at options to create a utility token which would allow for the spending and earning of a cryptocurrency within the platform. Members can accumulate tokens, transfer to other members, and exchange the tokens for tangible goods and converted via VK Pay.
More from RNS:
“Users will also be able to receive cryptocurrency for interesting publications on the social network: users, along with the likes, will be able to share the currency with the authors of publications, similarly – it could work with reposts and comments. The press service of “VKontakte” declined to comment.”
According to VKontakte, the number of active users of a social network per month is 97 million, users send 6.5 billion messages daily and make 1 billion Likes, the number of video views is 550 million per day.
Facebook also recently announced they are looking to launch a token for WhatsApp sometime in 2019. The New York Times broke the story that Facebook is planning to launch its own cryptocurrency as early as the first half of this year.
- Busted: SEC and U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of New Jersey Files Lawsuits Against Fraudulent ICO that raised $30 million - January 17, 2020
- Kenya Issues Second ICO Warning After Investors Lose €24+ Million Euro - January 17, 2020
- Neufund Wraps Tokenised Equity Crowdfunding Series B with Greyp Bikes raising €1.4m EUR - January 17, 2020
- U.S. Lawmakers Pondering “Crypto-Currency Act of 2020” - January 17, 2020
- New Blockchain-based Visa Token Service Set To Launch in 2020 – Set to Reach $1 Trillion - January 17, 2020
- Germany’s New Shore Invest Launches STO Ship Financing Platform – Tokenised Fractional Ownership - January 16, 2020
- Open Source Luminary Marc Fleury Enters Crypto Arena with Announcement of New Crypto Asset Class and Continuous Token Offering Sale - January 16, 2020
- UN Warns Public Not To Attend North Korea Blockchain and Cryptocurrency Conference 2020 - January 16, 2020
- Fiat-to-Crypto Gateway Solution, Banxa, Raises $2 Million USD Series A Round Led By NGC Ventures - January 15, 2020
- United Africa Blockchain Association Plans to Fire Up Blockchain Adoption - January 14, 2020
- Thai Actor and Victim’s Bitcoin Buddy Implicated in Kidnapping and Ransom of Singaporean National in Thailand - January 14, 2020
- Securitize Runs First-Ever IRA Investment In Digital Securities - January 14, 2020
- NBA Star Spencer Dinwiddie “Tokenizing” His Contract With or Without NBA Green Light - January 13, 2020
- European Central Bank President Christine Lagarde Says ECB Bullish on Digital Currencies - January 13, 2020
- Canadian Crypto Company Voyager Digital Completes Acquisition of US Registered Broker-Dealer - January 13, 2020
- Cogito, Hong Kong-Based Entertainment Studio, Launches Decentralised Autonomous Virtual Horse Racing Game - January 9, 2020
- Blockchain Bandwagon Company Longfin CEO Settles with US SEC for $400,000 - January 7, 2020
- Winklevoss Brothers Invest in $5 million Seed Round for TaxBit - January 7, 2020
- Securrency Secures $17.65 million in Series A funding round Led by WisdomTree - January 7, 2020
- Measure Protocol Backed with £2m in New Funding for Blockchain-Powered Person-Based Data Marketplace - January 7, 2020