Russian news outlet RNS reported on Friday, March 28, 2019 that VK (short for VKontakte) is working on creating its own cryptocurrency, but the final decision on its launch has not yet been made.
As of August 2018, VK had at least 500 million accounts and is ranked 15th (as of February 2019) in Alexa’s global Top 500 sites. It is the most popular website in Russia and according to SimilarWeb, VK is the 9th most visited website in the world.
A presentation, which ended up in the hands of editors at RNS, showed they are looking at options to create a utility token which would allow for the spending and earning of a cryptocurrency within the platform. Members can accumulate tokens, transfer to other members, and exchange the tokens for tangible goods and converted via VK Pay.
More from RNS:
“Users will also be able to receive cryptocurrency for interesting publications on the social network: users, along with the likes, will be able to share the currency with the authors of publications, similarly – it could work with reposts and comments. The press service of “VKontakte” declined to comment.”
According to VKontakte, the number of active users of a social network per month is 97 million, users send 6.5 billion messages daily and make 1 billion Likes, the number of video views is 550 million per day.
Facebook also recently announced they are looking to launch a token for WhatsApp sometime in 2019. The New York Times broke the story that Facebook is planning to launch its own cryptocurrency as early as the first half of this year.
- Bitpay Opens Up Doors For Ethereum Payments - September 16, 2019
- Neufund Launches Blockchain-Driven Equity Token Sale for Retail Investors Out of Lichtenstein - September 16, 2019
- London Blockchain Accelerator Academy Looking for Partners - September 13, 2019
- Blockchain Startup Blockstack Raises a Whopping $23 Million In SEC-Qualified Reg A+ Token Offering - September 12, 2019
- France Vows to Block Facebook Libra Cryptocurrency in Europe - September 12, 2019
- R3 and Mastercard Team Up Mastercard to Build Overseas Payments System Build on Blockchain - September 12, 2019
- ConsenSys Officially Joins Hyperledger Project – Adding Public Blockchain Capability to Hyperledger - September 11, 2019
- Telegram Open Network Labs Releases Development Suite for TON Blockchain - September 11, 2019
- Whale Alert: USD One Billion+ BTC Was Transferred in One Transaction Last Week - September 11, 2019
- New Professional API Trading Program AlgoX Prime API Launched by eToroX - September 11, 2019
- Bitcoin.com’s Roger Ver Steps in to Operate Node on Cryptographer David Chaum’s New Elixxer Project - September 11, 2019
- Seychelles Heats Up With a First for a National Stock Exchange – MERJ Exchange Goes Live with Tokenized IPO - September 10, 2019
- Computing Legend Steve Wozniak To Launch Blockchain Energy Project – EFFORCE - September 10, 2019
- Hollywood Star Wesley Snipes To Tokenize $25 Million USD Movie Fund with Liechtenstein Blockchain Innovator LCX - September 9, 2019
- Netki Extends TransactID Solution For FATF “Travel Rule” Compliance - September 9, 2019
- Market Demand For Sophisticated Crypto Trading Methods Drives Singapore’s Broctagon Fintech Group To New Heights – Pushing Them Past $5 million - September 5, 2019
- London-based Custodian For Digital Assets, Copper, Reach $500m In Transactions In Just Three Months - September 5, 2019
- UN Meeting: Gibraltar Lawyers Call For A Global Regulatory Framework For Cryptocurrencies - September 4, 2019
- Michael Terpin’s BitAngels Investor Network Partners with Bitcoin Bay to Expand Blockchain Investment Ecosystem in Toronto, Canada - September 3, 2019
- Coinanalyst Launches Socializer – New Communication Tool - September 3, 2019