Russian news outlet RNS reported on Friday, March 28, 2019 that VK (short for VKontakte) is working on creating its own cryptocurrency, but the final decision on its launch has not yet been made.
As of August 2018, VK had at least 500 million accounts and is ranked 15th (as of February 2019) in Alexa’s global Top 500 sites. It is the most popular website in Russia and according to SimilarWeb, VK is the 9th most visited website in the world.
A presentation, which ended up in the hands of editors at RNS, showed they are looking at options to create a utility token which would allow for the spending and earning of a cryptocurrency within the platform. Members can accumulate tokens, transfer to other members, and exchange the tokens for tangible goods and converted via VK Pay.
More from RNS:
“Users will also be able to receive cryptocurrency for interesting publications on the social network: users, along with the likes, will be able to share the currency with the authors of publications, similarly – it could work with reposts and comments. The press service of “VKontakte” declined to comment.”
According to VKontakte, the number of active users of a social network per month is 97 million, users send 6.5 billion messages daily and make 1 billion Likes, the number of video views is 550 million per day.
Facebook also recently announced they are looking to launch a token for WhatsApp sometime in 2019. The New York Times broke the story that Facebook is planning to launch its own cryptocurrency as early as the first half of this year.
- Blockchain-Based Travala.com Teams Up with Dash For Hotel Booking Payments - July 18, 2019
- SEC And FINRA Approves First Reg A+ Token Offerings - July 18, 2019
- Tokinex Tolken Sale Sells out in 35 Seconds - July 18, 2019
- 18 Organisations Launch The Convergence Alliance To Enable A New Open Data Economy Built On The Decentralized Web - July 9, 2019
- Bittrex Acquires Tradedash - July 3, 2019
- Korea’s Cube Systems Rolls Out New Blockchain eCommerce Platform - July 3, 2019
- Clinlogix Joins ALTEN Calsoft in Launching Blockchain for Clinical Trials - July 3, 2019
- Binance Charity forms alliance with 46 companies to unveil a stablecoin for the alleviation of period poverty - July 3, 2019
- Nestlé Breaks from IBM Food Trust Blockchain Group for New Milk Supply Chain Trial - July 3, 2019
- Tokeny Solutions Digital Asset Platform Gets €5 Million Backing from Euronext - July 3, 2019
- Blockchain Venture Capital Funding Reaches $822 Million in 2019 - July 1, 2019
- Toronto’s Creative Destruction Lab Joins Facebook’s Libra Association - June 19, 2019
- Australia’s Power Ledger to bring P2P Energy Trading to Austria - June 19, 2019
- Litecoin Foundation Teams Up With Bibox And Ternio On Special Edition Litecoin Debitcard - June 19, 2019
- US Legislators Call for Halt to Facebook’s Cryptocurrency Plans – And to Face Congress - June 19, 2019
- Hyperledger Welcomes Diverse Line-up of New Members for Identity Project - June 18, 2019
- Facebook Announces Calibra Digital Wallet and Libra Cryptocurrency - June 18, 2019
- MIT Professor Silvio Micali’s Algorand Project Announces Date for First Auction - June 6, 2019
- SEC sues Canadian Messaging Service Kik Selling Unregistered Securities in its $100 million ICO - June 4, 2019
- CrowdEngine Teams Up With Polymath Adding Security Token Issuance to List of Crowdfunding Services - June 3, 2019