Enterprise-grade public distributed ledger platform Hedera Hashgraph, that they will open the doors via Open Access (OA) to its mainnet beta on Monday, September 16th, 2019, allowing blockchain entrepreneurs to open accounts and build decentralized applications (dApps) on the Hedera Hashgraph platform.
In addition, Hedera added they have open-sourced their mirror node code so that anyone who wants to run a mirror node can do so. Mirror nodes on the Hedera network provide access to all consensus decisions and the state of the ledger. While they do not participate in consensus, mirror nodes can provide a public record of transactions and the state. In addition, mirror nodes offer flexibility for the owner to choose what to store and for how long.
“With Open Access, we are excited to welcome any and all to join the hundreds of third-party developers already building decentralized applications on our platform,” said Mance Harmon, Co-Founder and CEO of Hedera Hashgraph. “Open Access also marks the next step in our journey to become the industry’s most decentralized, permissionless, public network. At the same time that our mirror nodes are becoming open-source and accessible to all, we’re also beginning a careful, responsible coin distribution process.”
OA also marks the beginning of Hedera’s strategic 15-year coin distribution, with HBAR tokens beginning to be released to participants in Simple Agreements for Future Tokens (SAFTs) offerings, through which the company raised $124 million USD in 2018.
After OA, the first distribution of HBAR coins will also be released to SAFT purchasers. In order to become the most decentralized public permissionless network at scale, Hedera Hashgraph is taking a strategic approach with a long term, 15-year coin distribution schedule of its total coin supply. As it stands, Hedera Hashgraph is a public permissioned network, meaning that while anyone can build on the platform, only certain parties are eligible to run nodes, manage consensus, and maintain the network. In order to transition into a public, permissionless network, where users who stake their coins can choose to become nodes, Hedera is distributing coins in tranches over a long period. The aim of this distribution schedule is to prevent malicious actors from cornering the market on coins, which would enable them to monopolize ownership of nodes, in turn damaging network security. Hedera today also published a Coin Economics paper, explaining in further detail the role that the cryptocurrency plays in securing the network, and how it will be distributed.
“The creation of the trust layer of the internet requires a measured, long-term rollout with responsible stewards, empowered individuals, and slow coin distribution,” said Leemon Baird, Co-Founder and Chief Scientist of Hedera Hashgraph. “Hedera Hashgraph is taking a thoughtful approach to this deployment and we see interest in our protocol by both enterprises and developers as a strong endorsement of our strategy.”
At OA, the Hedera Hashgraph network will offer three services: 1) Cryptocurrency, throttled to 10,000 transactions per second, 2) Smart Contract and 3) File Service, both throttled to 10 transactions per second to start and increasing systematically throughout the remainder of 2019. While Hedera is seeing faster speeds in testing, the throttling is designed to similarly roll out network services in a measured, responsible way, and Hedera plans to increase speed methodically in the coming months. The recently announced Hedera Consensus Service is expected to deliver similar performance as the cryptocurrency service and will be publicly available later this year.
Hedera will mark the milestone with a virtual event, beginning at 4:00pm PT / 7:00pm ET on Monday, September 16th. To register, visit www.hedera.com.
Hedera is a decentralized public network where anyone can carve out a piece of cyberspace to transact, play, and socialize in a secure, trusted environment. Developers can build secure, fair, blazing-fast decentralized applications on top of the Hedera platform. Dr. Leemon Baird, Hedera Hashgraph Co-Founder and Chief Scientist, and Mance Harmon, Co-founder and CEO of Hedera, invented and developed the groundbreaking hashgraph technology after working at the United States Air Force Academy and as founders of Trio Security, BlueWave Security, and Swirlds, Inc.
- Bitpay Opens Up Doors For Ethereum Payments - September 16, 2019
- Neufund Launches Blockchain-Driven Equity Token Sale for Retail Investors Out of Lichtenstein - September 16, 2019
- London Blockchain Accelerator Academy Looking for Partners - September 13, 2019
- Blockchain Startup Blockstack Raises a Whopping $23 Million In SEC-Qualified Reg A+ Token Offering - September 12, 2019
- France Vows to Block Facebook Libra Cryptocurrency in Europe - September 12, 2019
- R3 and Mastercard Team Up Mastercard to Build Overseas Payments System Build on Blockchain - September 12, 2019
- ConsenSys Officially Joins Hyperledger Project – Adding Public Blockchain Capability to Hyperledger - September 11, 2019
- Telegram Open Network Labs Releases Development Suite for TON Blockchain - September 11, 2019
- Whale Alert: USD One Billion+ BTC Was Transferred in One Transaction Last Week - September 11, 2019
- New Professional API Trading Program AlgoX Prime API Launched by eToroX - September 11, 2019
- Bitcoin.com’s Roger Ver Steps in to Operate Node on Cryptographer David Chaum’s New Elixxer Project - September 11, 2019
- Seychelles Heats Up With a First for a National Stock Exchange – MERJ Exchange Goes Live with Tokenized IPO - September 10, 2019
- Computing Legend Steve Wozniak To Launch Blockchain Energy Project – EFFORCE - September 10, 2019
- Hollywood Star Wesley Snipes To Tokenize $25 Million USD Movie Fund with Liechtenstein Blockchain Innovator LCX - September 9, 2019
- Netki Extends TransactID Solution For FATF “Travel Rule” Compliance - September 9, 2019
- Market Demand For Sophisticated Crypto Trading Methods Drives Singapore’s Broctagon Fintech Group To New Heights – Pushing Them Past $5 million - September 5, 2019
- London-based Custodian For Digital Assets, Copper, Reach $500m In Transactions In Just Three Months - September 5, 2019
- UN Meeting: Gibraltar Lawyers Call For A Global Regulatory Framework For Cryptocurrencies - September 4, 2019
- Michael Terpin’s BitAngels Investor Network Partners with Bitcoin Bay to Expand Blockchain Investment Ecosystem in Toronto, Canada - September 3, 2019
- Coinanalyst Launches Socializer – New Communication Tool - September 3, 2019
Also published on Medium.