Open-source blockchain for building decentralized applications æternity is creating a supply chain management platform for the cannabis trade south of the equator alongside Uruguay Can, one of South America’s leading cannabis production companies.
In December 2013, Uruguay became the first country in the world to completely legalize the production and sale of marijuana. With a population of only 3.4 million nestled between two neighbouring giants, Brazil and Argentina (with populations of 208 and 43 million respectively), Uruguay has been an innovator in both recreational and medical marijuana throughout the region.
For Uruguay Can CEO Eduardo Blasina, this partnership with æternity is a significant milestone for the industry.
“We are proud to be the first company in Uruguay that can guarantee the quality of our products in a transparent and verifiable way,” said Blasina.
“The ability to trace the source and the way cannabis is produced is beneficial for both the cannabis and pharmaceutical industry as well as its consumers and end users, who should feel more secure about the product that they are consuming,” added Pablo Coirolo. “This mechanism is ideal for improving the cannabis production process throughout the supply chain, certifying consumer safety while regulations are adhered to.”
æternity Americas CEO Pablo Coirolo explained that blockchain technology can provide security and confidence about the quality of medical and recreational cannabis.
“We want to be the first to offer a business-level solution in partnership with leading technology providers and cannabis producers, processors and distributors,” said Coirolo. “æternity technology is ideal for tracking the entire cannabis production process, from seed to full plant growth, throughout the entire supply chain, which ensures consumer safety while complying with regulations.”
æternity’s implementation allows the registration and tracking of cannabis strains from the seed to the final product, combining the technology of IOT (Internet of Things) and blockchain to enable the possibility to create decentralized applications.
The first phase of the implementation between Uruguay Can and æternity will begin in October and is expected to be completed in January 2020, with full implementation planned for the middle of next year.
Uruguay Can is a Uruguayan company based in Montevideo that combines experience in recreational, medicinal and hemp cannabis developments in already established projects with a consolidated agronomic team in the first country in the world to legalize the production, with the objective of exporting to all the world an increasingly broad portfolio of products.
- U.S. Lawmakers Pondering “Crypto-Currency Act of 2020” - January 17, 2020
- New Blockchain-based Visa Token Service Set To Launch in 2020 – Set to Reach $1 Trillion - January 17, 2020
- Germany’s New Shore Invest Launches STO Ship Financing Platform – Tokenised Fractional Ownership - January 16, 2020
- Open Source Luminary Marc Fleury Enters Crypto Arena with Announcement of New Crypto Asset Class and Continuous Token Offering Sale - January 16, 2020
- UN Warns Public Not To Attend North Korea Blockchain and Cryptocurrency Conference 2020 - January 16, 2020
- Fiat-to-Crypto Gateway Solution, Banxa, Raises $2 Million USD Series A Round Led By NGC Ventures - January 15, 2020
- United Africa Blockchain Association Plans to Fire Up Blockchain Adoption - January 14, 2020
- Thai Actor and Victim’s Bitcoin Buddy Implicated in Kidnapping and Ransom of Singaporean National in Thailand - January 14, 2020
- Securitize Runs First-Ever IRA Investment In Digital Securities - January 14, 2020
- NBA Star Spencer Dinwiddie “Tokenizing” His Contract With or Without NBA Green Light - January 13, 2020
- European Central Bank President Christine Lagarde Says ECB Bullish on Digital Currencies - January 13, 2020
- Canadian Crypto Company Voyager Digital Completes Acquisition of US Registered Broker-Dealer - January 13, 2020
- Cogito, Hong Kong-Based Entertainment Studio, Launches Decentralised Autonomous Virtual Horse Racing Game - January 9, 2020
- Blockchain Bandwagon Company Longfin CEO Settles with US SEC for $400,000 - January 7, 2020
- Winklevoss Brothers Invest in $5 million Seed Round for TaxBit - January 7, 2020
- Securrency Secures $17.65 million in Series A funding round Led by WisdomTree - January 7, 2020
- Measure Protocol Backed with £2m in New Funding for Blockchain-Powered Person-Based Data Marketplace - January 7, 2020
- The Next Wave of Crypto – Traction is Key – And Mobile Mining is Gaining Massive Adoption - January 2, 2020
- Google Reverses Metamask Ban from Playstore - January 1, 2020
- Bankex Launches Token Exchange Engine in Telegram - December 31, 2019
Also published on Medium.