36-year-old cryptocurrency specialist Virgil Griffith – who was recently arrested by American authorities for allegedly helping North Korea use blockchain technology in violation of US sanctions – has pleaded not guilty in court today.
Griffith was formally indicted for “conspiracy to violate the International Emergency Economic Powers Act,” and his case was been assigned to SDNY Judge P. Kevin Castel in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.
On January 7, 2020, according to a Forbes article, a Grand Jury indicted Virgil Griffith and he will stand trial for travelling to North Korea to teach cryptocurrency and blockchain. He has a doctorate from the California Institute of Technology and works for the Ethereum Foundation, who are up in arms over the charges.
As previously reported in Blockchain News, he could face up to 20 years in prison.
OK- here for Virgil Griffith’s appeal of his Dec 26 bail denial for alleged crypto violation of #NorthKorea sanctions, which Inner City Press also exclusively covered @SDNYLIVE. This time Virgil has two lawyers. Here comes Judge Broderck. “All rise” – thread
— Inner City Press (@innercitypress) December 30, 2019
“Griffith wore a grey jacket, and laughed when the lawyers joked that the next date in the case will be March 17, St. Patrick’s Day: “Wear a green tie.”
When asked how he pled, Griffith said, “Innocent.”
The US Attorney’s Office said it had given some discovery on January 24, with more in two weeks. But when asked for a list of other attendees of the North Korea conference, the reply is that it is not required. Griffith’s team may seek Rule 15 testimony overseas, and politely declined Inner City Press’ question afterward about the other person referenced in the charging documents.”
North Korea has been under U.N. sanctions since 2006 over its nuclear and ballistic missile programs. The 15-member Security Council has unanimously strengthened those measures over the years, prompting Pyongyang to look for alternative ways to make money.
The 2nd Pyongyang Blockchain and Cryptocurrency Conference will be held from February 22- 29, 2020.
- Scottish Blockchain Company Hypervine Signs with European Space Agency Data To Improve Efficiency And Transparency For The World’s Mining Industry - February 22, 2020
- Loyyal Signs Three Year Production Agreement with The Emirates Group for Use of Blockchain Loyalty and Rewards Platform - February 21, 2020
- Enjin Platform Enables Game Developers to Integrate Blockchain Assets Without Blockchain Coding Experience - February 18, 2020
- Blockchain Project Cashaa Protecting Crypto Companies to Survive Fifth Money Laundering Directive and New FCA Rules in 2020 - February 8, 2020
- US SEC Boss Hester Peirce Suggests Three Year “Safe Harbour Period” For Token Sales - February 6, 2020
- China’s Hyperchain Plans to Take on Coronavirus With Blockchain-Fueled Donation Platform - February 6, 2020
- Blockstack Proposes Using Bitcoin, Novel ‘Proof of Transfer’ To Accelerate A Truly User-Owned Web 3.0 - February 6, 2020
- Hack Blockchain To The MAX! €15.000 Prizepool at MAXathon in Berlin April 18-19, 2020 - February 6, 2020
- Chiliz And Enjin To Launch Blockchain Collectibles Using NFTs For The Likes of Juventus, Paris Saint-Germain, Atlético de Madrid and West Ham - February 6, 2020
- MIT Researchers Claim to Boost Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Blockchain Transactions By 4x with New ‘Spider’ Routing Scheme - February 4, 2020
- Canada’s Blockchain Intelligence Group Signs USD$540,000 Contract with United States Feds - February 4, 2020
- The United States Marshals Services to Auction 4,040.54069820 Bitcoin – USD$37 Million - February 4, 2020
- OpenLegacy Project Gets $20m Strategic Investment from Japan’s SBI Holdings – Focus on Blockchain - February 4, 2020
- Fastest Growing and Highest Revenue Mobile Messenger App in the World, Japan’s LINE to Launch LINK Cryptocurrency - February 3, 2020
- Insolar to Launch MainNet on February 3, 2020 – Debuts Insolar’s New XNS Token - February 3, 2020
- Blockchain-Based Social Media App Vid with VI Tokens – To Launch April 1, 2020 – After VC $10 million USD Investment in 2019 - February 3, 2020
- UK FCA Licenses BCB Group as First Crypto Company to be Regulated as Authorised Payment Institution - January 31, 2020
- Virgil Griffith Pleads Innocent in Blockchain North Korea Event Case – Faces Up To 20 Years in Prison if Convicted - January 31, 2020
- University College London Centre for Blockchain Technologies Releases New Report on Supply Chains - January 31, 2020
- World’s Leading Research and Advisory Company Gartner Says Blockchain Smart Contracts Can Increase Corporate Overall Data Quality by 50 Percent - January 31, 2020
Also published on Medium.