The event will take place just after the Web Summit, at DCU Innovation Campus.
Bitcoin, cryptocurrencies and other blockchains are becoming a very hot topic in technology and finance. While the regulators across the globe are still trying to figure out how to deal with these “cryptocurrencies”, venture capitalists and corporates are already massively investing in blockchain start-ups.
Ireland is not yet known as a hub for blockchain start-ups, although the pool of talent certainly exists here. Chainsmiths, a newly formed Dublin-based consultancy gathering the top players of the industry decided to play its part in putting the island back on the map of blockchain by organizing Europe’s biggest hackathon in the field, which is proudly sponsored by Fidelity Investments and Deloitte.
Welcoming the Chainsmiths initiative, Simon Harris TD, Minister of State with responsibility for International Financial Services, commented:
“From my extensive consultations leading up to the publication of the Government’s International Financial Services’ Strategy, IFS2020, it was immediately apparent that financial innovation and technologies had to be a priority. Similarly blockchain is emerging as a cutting edge development in this sphere. I want to congratulate Kevin and Dimitry on their initiative and wish them every success with their event.”
“We wanted to do something big, to show that despite the lack of visibility so far, Ireland is definitely one of the leading countries for blockchain research and development. In fact, most–if not all- banks are working on blockchain research and some will release products in a few years, maybe even months” says Kevin Loaec, Chainsmiths Managing Director.
Its first edition will already be the biggest blockchain hackathon in Europe, with 150 participants and €10,000 in cash prizes.
Aidan Kenny, Vice President of Innovation, Process Excellence & Applied Technology at Fidelity Ireland added:
“Fidelity has always believed in exploring emerging technologies to find new ways for us to provide the best customer experience in the business. Our innovative approach has led to many breakthrough changes that have dramatically transformed our customers’ lives. Blockchain technology has the potential to become one of the most significant innovations the global financial services ecosystem has seen. Fidelity Investments Ireland is delighted to sponsor this event and to play a key role in supporting participants.”
David Dalton, Partner in FS Consulting and head of Deloitte’s financial services:
“The financial services sector is currently being disrupted by various components. One of the evolutions changing the existing business ecosystem is Blockchain. It is important to create a better understanding of this innovative technology and it’s potential. Deloitte is delighted to sponsor an event focusing on research and development of new use cases in which the Blockchain technology can help improve the services offered by the financial institutions.”
DCU Innovation Campus will host the event in their now well-known hackathon space. Chainsmiths will provide workshops to the participants, no experience in cryptocurrency is required to attend.
Hackers/Founders, a 1500 members strong tech group in Dublin will also help providing mentors for the duration of the event:
“The format will be quite different from the previous hackathons hosted at DCU, the product is the focus this time, not the commercial application. We expect to have a wide range of ideas, not only in Finance, and not only for-profit” Dimitry Kireyenkoff, Hackers/Founders organizer.
The Intellectual Property will of course remain the property of each participant, although the organizers expect most of the projects to be released in the Public Domain, creating long-term value for the whole ecosystem.
- Commodities Behemoth Testing Blockchain Tech with Crude Oil Cargo - January 21, 2017
- Berlin’s Neufund Blockchain Fundraising Platform Raises $2 Million - January 21, 2017
- Alibaba’s Ant Financial Aims for 2 billion Users by Bringing Blockchain Technology to Alipay - January 20, 2017
- ChronoBank Plans to Use Multiple Blockchains - January 20, 2017
- Hyperledger Welcomes New Blockchain Platform Partner Cello - January 20, 2017
- WISeKey and Stratumn Join Forces to Use Blockchain for Real-Time Accountability and Traceability in Enterprise Processes - January 20, 2017
- Blockchain Report – European Union Agency for Network and Information Security (ENISA) - January 20, 2017
- FINRA Seeks Comment on New Report on the Potential Implications of Blockchain - January 18, 2017
- Finlync Designs ERP Integration to Distributed Ledger and Blockchain - January 18, 2017
- European Central Bank Considering Digital Currency – Cryptocash - January 18, 2017
- US Homeland Security Testing Blockchain To Track People, Goods Across Borders - January 17, 2017
- Israeli Tax Authorities Might Go After Bitcoin - January 16, 2017
- Senior US Regulator David Blaszkowsky Joins Canadian Blockchain Intelligence Group (BIG) Advisory Board - January 16, 2017
- Seven European Banks Cut Blockchain Deal to Facilitate Easier Cross-Border SME Commerce - January 16, 2017
- Marketforce to Host 2nd Annual The Blockchain Summit on 28th March 2017 in London - January 15, 2017
- Waves Platform Implements New Blockchain Scalability Approaches - January 14, 2017
- China’s Puerbank Group Launches Global Node for A Standardized Blockchain-Based Digital Currency in the UK - January 14, 2017
- DU and Guardtime Partner with Dubai’s NMC Hospital to Revolutionize Electronic Health Records with Blockchain Technology - January 14, 2017
- Report: Blockchain Slated to Become $8 Billion Global Industry By 2024 - January 14, 2017
- Blockchain Could Save Financial Services $110 billion over Next Three Years - January 14, 2017
- Russia Embraces Bitcoin – No Plans to Ban Cryptocurrencies - January 14, 2017
- Canadian BTL Group Completes Blockchain Pilot With Major Global Energy Company - January 12, 2017
- Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance and NTT DATA Cut Blockchain PoC For Insurance - January 12, 2017
- HfS Research Recognises VirtusaPolaris for Emerging Blockchain Services in BFSI - January 12, 2017
- Deloitte Launches Blockchain Lab in New York - January 12, 2017
- SWIFT launches Blockchain Proof of Concept In Hyperledger - January 12, 2017
- Blockchain VIP’s to Gather for Major Retreat This Month - January 12, 2017
- IBM Watson Health and US FDA Announce Blockchain Healthcare Data Project - January 12, 2017
- Equibit Development Corporation Sets $7 million Funding Target, Crowdsale Date - January 12, 2017
- US National Science Foundation Offers $8.5m in Funding for Blockchain Proposals for Cyberinfrastructure Security - January 11, 2017
- China Poised to Dominate Fintech and Blockchain Markets in 2017 - January 10, 2017
- Respectonomy Social Network To Tackle Censorship Using Blockchain - January 10, 2017
- South Korea Plans to Launch a Full-Scale Pilot Project on Blockchain-powered Financial Services - January 10, 2017
- Postal Savings Bank of China (PSBC) Announces First Blockchain Financial Service - January 10, 2017
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Releases Bullish Report on Blockchain for Clearing, Settlement - January 10, 2017
- Blockchain TV – TED Talk | How the Blockchain will Radically Transform the Economy | Bettina Warburg - January 10, 2017
- Alfa-Bank and S7 Airlines Close Blockchain Deal in Russia - January 10, 2017
- Life.SREDA and the Russian Republic of Tatarstan To Introduce Blockchain Technology For Public Administration System - January 10, 2017
- Union Square Ventures Leads $4M Funding Round for Blockchain Startup Blockstack - January 10, 2017
- US Department of Energy Eyeing Blockchain Solutions for Security – Seeking Proposals - January 10, 2017
- India’s Axis Bank to Use Ripple Blockchain for Cross-Border Remittances - January 10, 2017
- Georgia to Store Real Estate Documents in Blockchain System with Bitfury Group and Hernando de Soto - January 10, 2017
- US Depository Trust & Clearing Corporation Selects IBM, AXONI and R3 to Develop Derivatives Processing On Blockchain - January 10, 2017
- Grantcoin Foundation Expands Board of Directors – Distribution Rescheduled to Late January - January 8, 2017
- UNICEF, UK Home Office and BTCC to speak at London Blockchain Week 2017 - January 6, 2017
- American Company The Seam to Form Cotton Blockchain Consortium with IBM on Hyperledger Fabric - January 5, 2017
- Move over Bitcoin – MIT Cryptographer Silvio Micali and his Public Ledger ALGORAND… The Future of Blockchain? - January 5, 2017
- Blockchain to Play Role in Future of Transportation? UBS Teams up with ZF and innology SE to Make it Happen - January 5, 2017
- Blockchain Group Hyperledger Expands into China - January 5, 2017
- The Evolution Of Casinos – Next Generation Transparent Ethereum Smart Contracts Based Casino “Edgeless” - January 5, 2017