The event will take place just after the Web Summit, at DCU Innovation Campus.
Bitcoin, cryptocurrencies and other blockchains are becoming a very hot topic in technology and finance. While the regulators across the globe are still trying to figure out how to deal with these “cryptocurrencies”, venture capitalists and corporates are already massively investing in blockchain start-ups.
Ireland is not yet known as a hub for blockchain start-ups, although the pool of talent certainly exists here. Chainsmiths, a newly formed Dublin-based consultancy gathering the top players of the industry decided to play its part in putting the island back on the map of blockchain by organizing Europe’s biggest hackathon in the field, which is proudly sponsored by Fidelity Investments and Deloitte.
Welcoming the Chainsmiths initiative, Simon Harris TD, Minister of State with responsibility for International Financial Services, commented:
“From my extensive consultations leading up to the publication of the Government’s International Financial Services’ Strategy, IFS2020, it was immediately apparent that financial innovation and technologies had to be a priority. Similarly blockchain is emerging as a cutting edge development in this sphere. I want to congratulate Kevin and Dimitry on their initiative and wish them every success with their event.”
“We wanted to do something big, to show that despite the lack of visibility so far, Ireland is definitely one of the leading countries for blockchain research and development. In fact, most–if not all- banks are working on blockchain research and some will release products in a few years, maybe even months” says Kevin Loaec, Chainsmiths Managing Director.
Its first edition will already be the biggest blockchain hackathon in Europe, with 150 participants and €10,000 in cash prizes.
Aidan Kenny, Vice President of Innovation, Process Excellence & Applied Technology at Fidelity Ireland added:
“Fidelity has always believed in exploring emerging technologies to find new ways for us to provide the best customer experience in the business. Our innovative approach has led to many breakthrough changes that have dramatically transformed our customers’ lives. Blockchain technology has the potential to become one of the most significant innovations the global financial services ecosystem has seen. Fidelity Investments Ireland is delighted to sponsor this event and to play a key role in supporting participants.”
David Dalton, Partner in FS Consulting and head of Deloitte’s financial services:
“The financial services sector is currently being disrupted by various components. One of the evolutions changing the existing business ecosystem is Blockchain. It is important to create a better understanding of this innovative technology and it’s potential. Deloitte is delighted to sponsor an event focusing on research and development of new use cases in which the Blockchain technology can help improve the services offered by the financial institutions.”
DCU Innovation Campus will host the event in their now well-known hackathon space. Chainsmiths will provide workshops to the participants, no experience in cryptocurrency is required to attend.
Hackers/Founders, a 1500 members strong tech group in Dublin will also help providing mentors for the duration of the event:
“The format will be quite different from the previous hackathons hosted at DCU, the product is the focus this time, not the commercial application. We expect to have a wide range of ideas, not only in Finance, and not only for-profit” Dimitry Kireyenkoff, Hackers/Founders organizer.
The Intellectual Property will of course remain the property of each participant, although the organizers expect most of the projects to be released in the Public Domain, creating long-term value for the whole ecosystem.
- A2B Direct to Launch a Blockchain Platform and Hold an ICO - June 24, 2017
- The ‘under the radar’ ICO, Populous. A platform tackling the Multi-Trillion Dollar international billings industry. - June 23, 2017
- Blockchain Startup TrueFlip Reinvents Business with 600 Year Long History of Fails - June 23, 2017
- EXMO exchange lists WAVES Blockchain Project - June 23, 2017
- Blockchain Startup DECENT Launch Date Announced - June 23, 2017
- Adex, A Decentralized Ad Network, Taps WINGS Platform For Community Engagement, Token Sale Value Discovery And Social Promotion - June 23, 2017
- Comcast’s Advanced Advertising Group And Participants Announce Blockchain-based Technology Platform - June 22, 2017
- Online Platform for Gamers to Release a Cryptocurrency for In-game Skins Trading; Launches an ICO - June 22, 2017
- Colu Launches Digital “Local Pound, East London” Currency to Empower Local Economies - June 21, 2017
- bitJob.io is Building a Student Employment Program on the Ethereum Blockchain – Launching ICO - June 21, 2017
- Blockchain Project Waves launches landmark USD gateway - June 21, 2017
- Status.im Raises $270m in Three Hours – Shattering Token Raise Record - June 21, 2017
- World’s First Mobile Data Exchange DENT Seeks to Disrupt Telco Market with Blockchain - June 20, 2017
- Financial Inclusion Company Everex Takes Home RemTECH Award For Ethereum Apps - June 18, 2017
- SONM Raises $42 Million in Token Raise - June 18, 2017
- WISeKey partners with the Blockchain Interface company RIDDLE&CODE to develop innovative solutions for securing IoT via Blockchain technology and crypto-hardware - June 17, 2017
- Bancor Announces $153 Million Raise, Largest Token Generation Event in History - June 17, 2017
- CORION Announces Final Coin Sale Details to Build its Revolutionary Platform & Stable-Rate Currency - June 17, 2017
- Enhancing the value of history with ZenDao – ICO announcement - June 16, 2017
- FunFair Announces Token Creation Event on June 22 for World’s Fastest Blockchain Casino Platform - June 15, 2017
- Blockchain Technology Venture Nimiq Announces Token Sale - June 14, 2017
- Outlier Ventures Makes Multi-Million Dollar Investment in Distributed IoT Marketplace ‘IOTA’ Through Major Token Purchase - June 14, 2017
- Bancor Token Allocation Event Smashes Record – Raises over $150 Million - June 13, 2017
- Consensys Introduces Omega One - June 12, 2017
- MetaX and DMA Join Forces to Launch adChain: a Blockchain Solution to Digital Advertising Fraud - June 12, 2017
- Aeternity Raises $24 million Over Phase Two of Token Sale - June 12, 2017
- HyperChain Capital announces Collaboration and Investment in CoinDash - June 12, 2017
- Community-Driven Cryptocurrency Credits Announces First Public Release - June 12, 2017
- Bancor Protocol Foundation Announces New Partners Before Upcoming Token Allocation Event - June 12, 2017
- Investors from Russia are launching a venture fund formed on blockchain - June 12, 2017
- Bancor Adds Heavyweight Advisory Team to their Foundation – Token Allocation Event Kicks off Today - June 12, 2017
- Bancor Protocol Foundation Adds Author and Euro Designer Bernard Lietaer as Chief Monetary Architect - June 10, 2017
- Russian Billionaire Announces Business Incubator on Waves Platform - June 9, 2017
- Bancor Launches Crowdfunding Valuation And Promotion Via Wings Dao On Ethereum - June 9, 2017
- Coinsilium invests in Indorse.io Decentralised Professional Network - June 8, 2017
- Cofound.it Breaks Pre-Sale Record, Selling Out With Priority Pass Before Public Token Sale - June 7, 2017
- Cofound.it Token Pre-Sale Reaches $5 Million Threshold Within Three Hours, Announces First Three Projects - June 5, 2017
- Blockchain Startup DECENT Testnet #2 Launched! - June 4, 2017
- Blockchain Challenge Dubai Announces Winners- Awarded $45,000 - June 4, 2017
- Waves Ceo Sasha Ivanov: Blockchain Will Lead To Rapid Progress Not Only In State Administration, But Also In Business - June 4, 2017
- Exscudo ICO Successfully Concluded – $5M Dollars Raised - June 1, 2017
- Aventus launches Ethereum-based Event Ticketing Solution - June 1, 2017
- Brave Token Sale Blasts Records With $35 Million in 30 Seconds - June 1, 2017
- Japanese Blockchain Startup releases VALU – Social Media Value That Can Be Traded - May 31, 2017
- MetaX and ConsenSys Announce adToken Sale June 26, 2017 - May 31, 2017
- Blockchain Indy Production Start Up to make a TV Series about the Bitcoin Revolution. Fans invest to help tell the story! - May 31, 2017
- Chat Platform Kik to Integrate Kin Token as First Mainstream Adoption of Cryptocurrency - May 31, 2017
- VPN Blockchain Startup Mysterium Network Raises 68,629 ETH ($14,358,975 USD) in under 45 minutes - May 30, 2017
- XinFin Introduces Blockchain-based Institutional Financing Marketplace Alongside Pre-ICO Token Sale - May 30, 2017
- European Energy Companies to Test Peer-to-Peer Trading Over The Blockchain - May 30, 2017