Tim Berners-Lee recently gathered in San Francisco with other top computer scientists — including Brewster Kahle, head of the nonprofit Internet Archive and an internet activist — to discuss a new phase for the web at the Decentralized Web Summit event.
The founders and builders of IPFS, the Dat Project, WebTorrent, Tahoe-LAFS, zcash, Zeronet.io, BitTorrent, Ethereum, BigChainDB, Blockstack, Interledger, Mediachain, MaidSafe, Storj and others presented their technologies and answer questions.
Hosted by the Internet Archive, the first Decentralized Web Summit was a call for dreamers and builders to spark collaboration and take concrete steps to create a better Web. The event includes tech legends such as Vint Cerf, Vice President and Chief Internet Evangelist at Google, and renowned author Cory Doctorow.
At the session on Tuesday, computer scientists talked about how new payment technologies could increase individual control over money. For example, if people adapted the so-called ledger system by which digital currencies are used, a musician might potentially be able to sell records without intermediaries like Apple’s iTunes. News sites might be able to have a system of micropayments for reading a single article, instead of counting on web ads for money.
“The web is already decentralized,” said Berners-Lee. “The problem is the dominance of one search engine, one big social network, one Twitter for microblogging. We don’t have a technology problem; we have a social problem.”
Doctorow gave the opening talk, “How Stupid Laws and Benevolent Dictators can Ruin the Decentralized Web, too,” which was about the “Ulysses pacts“: bargains you make with yourself when your willpower is strong to prevent giving into temptation later when you are tired or demoralized, and how these have benefited the web to date, and how new, better ones can protect the decentralized web of the future.
Doctorow wrote at Boing Boing that EFF’s Jeremy Gillula and Noah Swartz — who were there to present Certbot, a tool that produces free cryptographic certificates — wrote up the afternoon, including my talk, and did a good job summarizing it:
He called on the audience to act now to make a Ulysses pact for the decentralized web, because everything eventually fails or falls on hard times. If we want to make sure that the principles and values we hold dear survive, we need to design the systems that embody those principles so that they can’t be compromised of weakened. In other words, we need to build things now so that five or ten or twenty years from now, when what we’ve built is successful and someone asks us to add a backdoor or insert malware or track our users, it simply won’t be possible (for either technological or legal or monetary reasons)—no matter how much outside pressure we’re under.
After all, “The reason the web is closed today is because…people just like you made compromises that seemed like the right compromise to make at the time. And then they made another compromise, a little one. And another one.” He continued, pointing out that “We are, all of us, a mix of short-sighted and long-term…We must give each other moral support. Literal support to uphold the morals of the decentralized web, by agreeing now on what an open decentralized web is.” Only by doing this will we be able to resist the siren song of re-centralization.
And what sort of principles should we agree to? Cory suggests two. First, when a computer receives conflicting instructions from its owner and from a remote party, the owner’s wishes should always take precedence. In other words, no DRM (that means you, W3C). Second, disclosing true facts about the security of systems that we rely upon should never ever be illegal. In other words, we need to work to abolish things like the DMCA, which create legal uncertainty for security researchers disclosing vulnerabilities in systems locked behind DRM.
The crowd’s response to this passionate call to action? A standing ovation.
an information page with current projects, reading material and links to the Decentralized Web discussion groups and that all summit talks, panels and Q&A sessions have been video streamed in real time, and the recorded stream is online at the Internet Archive YouTube channel: Day 1, Day 2.The Summit’s website has
- The US SEC Issues Investigative Report on ICOs and Token Sales – Calling Them Securities - July 26, 2017
- ACT, a Decentralized Autonomous Organization for Citizen Action, is using the Ether Cryptocurrency to support a Community Fighting Opencast Coal Mining in Wales - July 25, 2017
- Giant Pepe and Vitalik Buterin Busts Capture Attention as Uncensorable Art in Decentraland Alpha - July 25, 2017
- Skycoin Distribution Event moved to August 8th, 2017 - July 25, 2017
- Propy, World’s First Global Property Store with Decentralized Title Registry Launches Token Sale - July 24, 2017
- DAO.Casino and True Flip Announce Strategic Partnership - July 24, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Adjoint Announces First Close of One Million Dollar Pre-Seed Round - July 24, 2017
- Ambrosus, the Trusted Food Ecosystem, Launches To Assure Food Quality from Farm to Fork - July 24, 2017
- Pillar Token Sale Raises $21 million for Personal Data Locker - July 24, 2017
- Waves Launches Ether Gateway - July 24, 2017
- Dash Passes Apple’s Rigorous Review Process And Becomes An Approved Digital Currency - July 24, 2017
- Decentraland Announces Anticipated Token Sale for Massive Virtual Reality Economy - July 24, 2017
- First Block Capital Launches Canada’s First Bitcoin Trust Through FrontFundr - July 24, 2017
- Smart Volume Analysis Crypto Trading Fund Launches Token Sale - July 24, 2017
- investFeed Kicks Off ‘Unconventional,’ Responsible, Hard Cap Token Generation Event - July 24, 2017
- Dutch Blockchain Startup AdCoin Promises Alternative for the Online Advertising Market - July 24, 2017
- Skycoin To Launch Coin Distribution Event July 24, 2017 - July 21, 2017
- CoinAgenda Europe 2017 Blockchain Winners Announced - July 20, 2017
- BurstIQ Announces Token Crowdsale for its Health Data Ecosystem and Marketplace - July 20, 2017
- Gaming cryptocurrency meets online betting: Loot.bet pledges support to SkinCoin - July 20, 2017
- Kybernetwork Introduces A Decentralized Platform For The Instant Trading Of Any Crypto-asset - July 19, 2017
- Announcement of Proof of Existence 2.0 – PO.ET Token Sale August 8, 2017 - July 19, 2017
- Equities.com and KrowdMentor Announce Exclusive Strategic Partnership at CoinAgenda - July 19, 2017
- NASSCOM in association with BlockSmiths & Quatrro forms India’s First Blockchain SIG - July 18, 2017
- DENT Partners with Aquto to Bring Decentralized Global Mobile Data Exchange to 500 Million People - July 18, 2017
- Moeda Cooperative Banking-as-a-Service Relaunches Digital Token - July 18, 2017
- Aicoin Launches Today – Next Generation Of Investment Innovation In Initial Coin Offerings - July 18, 2017
- Pillar Tokens worth $12 Million Sold in First Hour of Sale - July 17, 2017
- CausePlay’s Thirtythree.8 Division Is Launching The Virtual Cash Back Token (VCB) and Its Ethereum-Based Blockchain Coupon and Rebate Platform - July 16, 2017
- Kazakhstan Becomes The Second Government To Embrace The Cryptocurrency Market System - July 16, 2017
- EnvisionX to Bring Blockchain to Programmatic Advertising - July 16, 2017
- Enterprise Ethereum Alliance Unveils New Technical Steering Committee and Seven New Working Groups - July 16, 2017
- Hungry Panda Games Launches ICO – Ethereum Powered Game And Esports Ecosystem - July 16, 2017
- CakeCodes Announces Highly-Anticipated Hybrid-Model Token Generation Event Via Bittrex - July 16, 2017
- Santiment Announces SAN Tokens Now Trading on Bitfinex - July 15, 2017
- Exchange Union Coin To Bridge Digital Currency Exchanges For Enhanced Trading - July 15, 2017
- Harbour DAO Updates Their ICO Model and Voting System to More Closely Align with a Commitment to Community-driven Governance - July 15, 2017
- ACChain Digital Coin Begins Trading on Japan’s NERAEX Exchange - July 14, 2017
- Token Sales For Entrepreneurs: A Workshop On Token Economic Design And Legal Compliance - July 13, 2017
- New York Trading Platform investFeed Replaces Equities for Cryptocurrency - July 13, 2017
- Falcon First Swiss Private Bank To Enter Blockchain Asset Management Market With Bitcoin - July 12, 2017
- Blockchain technology breaking barriers for effective foreign aid - July 12, 2017
- Blockchain Genomics company raises over $1M with Gene-Chain Coin Token Sales - July 12, 2017
- ANZ, Westpac, Scentre and IBM Complete Successful Blockchain Trial for Bank Guarantees - July 12, 2017
- Blockchain Based Ticketing Company Aventus Systems Announces Advisory Board - July 12, 2017
- DENT Wireless is the First Blockchain Platform to Power New Mobile Data Exchange Marketplace - July 12, 2017
- Blockchain Music Sharing Platform Aurovine Launches in India - July 12, 2017
- Hyperledger Announces Production-Ready Hyperledger Fabric 1.0 - July 12, 2017
- Ethereum Co-founder Mihai Alisie Joins Aragon Advisory Board - July 12, 2017
- Musiconomi Announces Crowdsale For Music Industry - July 12, 2017