Tim Berners-Lee recently gathered in San Francisco with other top computer scientists — including Brewster Kahle, head of the nonprofit Internet Archive and an internet activist — to discuss a new phase for the web at the Decentralized Web Summit event.
The founders and builders of IPFS, the Dat Project, WebTorrent, Tahoe-LAFS, zcash, Zeronet.io, BitTorrent, Ethereum, BigChainDB, Blockstack, Interledger, Mediachain, MaidSafe, Storj and others presented their technologies and answer questions.
Hosted by the Internet Archive, the first Decentralized Web Summit was a call for dreamers and builders to spark collaboration and take concrete steps to create a better Web. The event includes tech legends such as Vint Cerf, Vice President and Chief Internet Evangelist at Google, and renowned author Cory Doctorow.
At the session on Tuesday, computer scientists talked about how new payment technologies could increase individual control over money. For example, if people adapted the so-called ledger system by which digital currencies are used, a musician might potentially be able to sell records without intermediaries like Apple’s iTunes. News sites might be able to have a system of micropayments for reading a single article, instead of counting on web ads for money.
“The web is already decentralized,” said Berners-Lee. “The problem is the dominance of one search engine, one big social network, one Twitter for microblogging. We don’t have a technology problem; we have a social problem.”
Doctorow gave the opening talk, “How Stupid Laws and Benevolent Dictators can Ruin the Decentralized Web, too,” which was about the “Ulysses pacts“: bargains you make with yourself when your willpower is strong to prevent giving into temptation later when you are tired or demoralized, and how these have benefited the web to date, and how new, better ones can protect the decentralized web of the future.
Doctorow wrote at Boing Boing that EFF’s Jeremy Gillula and Noah Swartz — who were there to present Certbot, a tool that produces free cryptographic certificates — wrote up the afternoon, including my talk, and did a good job summarizing it:
He called on the audience to act now to make a Ulysses pact for the decentralized web, because everything eventually fails or falls on hard times. If we want to make sure that the principles and values we hold dear survive, we need to design the systems that embody those principles so that they can’t be compromised of weakened. In other words, we need to build things now so that five or ten or twenty years from now, when what we’ve built is successful and someone asks us to add a backdoor or insert malware or track our users, it simply won’t be possible (for either technological or legal or monetary reasons)—no matter how much outside pressure we’re under.
After all, “The reason the web is closed today is because…people just like you made compromises that seemed like the right compromise to make at the time. And then they made another compromise, a little one. And another one.” He continued, pointing out that “We are, all of us, a mix of short-sighted and long-term…We must give each other moral support. Literal support to uphold the morals of the decentralized web, by agreeing now on what an open decentralized web is.” Only by doing this will we be able to resist the siren song of re-centralization.
And what sort of principles should we agree to? Cory suggests two. First, when a computer receives conflicting instructions from its owner and from a remote party, the owner’s wishes should always take precedence. In other words, no DRM (that means you, W3C). Second, disclosing true facts about the security of systems that we rely upon should never ever be illegal. In other words, we need to work to abolish things like the DMCA, which create legal uncertainty for security researchers disclosing vulnerabilities in systems locked behind DRM.
The crowd’s response to this passionate call to action? A standing ovation.
an information page with current projects, reading material and links to the Decentralized Web discussion groups and that all summit talks, panels and Q&A sessions have been video streamed in real time, and the recorded stream is online at the Internet Archive YouTube channel: Day 1, Day 2.The Summit’s website has
- Swiss Supply Chain Startup AMBROSUS Launches Token Generation Event - September 22, 2017
- Codemojo (Backed by PayPal Incubator) is launching its ICO to Mobilize $360 Bn worth of Reward Points Globally - September 22, 2017
- Investment into Blockchain start-ups set to hit $3bn in 2017 - September 22, 2017
- Opporty Announces ICO and Token Sale Starting October 18th 2017 - September 21, 2017
- Medicalchain To Speak At The Upcoming Financial Times Digital Health Summit On Oct. 12, 2017 - September 21, 2017
- Adel Will Upgrade Its Blockchain Incubator Using Jelurida’s Latest Technology - September 21, 2017
- Etch Foundation Announce Token Sale - September 21, 2017
- Jamie Foxx dives into cryptocurrency – invests in COBINHOOD - September 21, 2017
- New Creditinfo App and Services Utilize Blockchain-Based ShoCard Identity Platform to Maximize User Privacy while Authenticating Credit Report Data - September 21, 2017
- Disruptive Truck-Sharing Company Doft Sells Doftcoins to Truckers, 3PLs and Freight Shippers with 50% discount during Pre-ICO - September 21, 2017
- Carnegie Mellon University and BitClave partner to improve the search experience - September 21, 2017
- Darfchain Successfully Implements Its Distributed Erp System Encompassing Odoo, Bigchaindb And Ethereum Technology - September 21, 2017
- ASX-Listed iCandy Interactive Limited Announces Backing For Independent Blockchain Based Crypto-Currency “Project Nitro” To Support And Democratize Game Development - September 21, 2017
- Ethereum Co-founder Anthony Di Iorio Joins BlockMason as Advisor - September 20, 2017
- Nuggets Announces Token Sale for Revolutionary Blockchain Platform for Secure Private Payments and ID Verification - September 20, 2017
- Preeminent Investor & CNBC Contributor BRIAN KELLY Joins Veridium Labs Board of Advisors - September 20, 2017
- Dragonchain, Originally Developed at Disney, Announces October 2nd Token Sale To Bring The Power Of Blockchain Technology To Business - September 20, 2017
- Social Payments App Moneymailme Announces Development Of A New Blockchain Platform Called Modex Marketplace - September 20, 2017
- Blockchain-Fuelled Public Opinion Poll Startup ClearPoll Announce Presale - September 20, 2017
- SmartOne Launches Legal Solution for Crypto Community – Announce LEGAL Tokens - September 19, 2017
- HydroMiner Announces ICO and First Token Sale Starting September 25th 2017 - September 19, 2017
- LEVERJ AnnouncesFully Functional, Non-Custodial Cryptocurrency Derivatives Trading Platform - September 19, 2017
- DataBroker DAO, a Decentralised Marketplace for IoT Sensor Data, Token Sale Is Live - September 19, 2017
- Poseidon Brings Value To Nature Through Carbon Blockchain Technology - September 19, 2017
- Options and Futures on the Blockchain Board of Derivatives. PRE-SALE begins on 22th September at 8AM GMT. - September 18, 2017
- Blockchain-based Digital Advertising Ecosystem Papyrus to Launch Token Generation Event on 12 October - September 18, 2017
- Propy Raises $15 Million in ICO to Decentralize Real Estate Sales and Attract Foreign Investors - September 18, 2017
- The Financial Commission Issues Certification of the Genesis Vision ICO - September 18, 2017
- Blockchain Industry and Regulatory Leaders Launch Token Alliance - September 18, 2017
- PayPie Challenges Experian, Equifax and TransUnion Status Quo with the World’s First Ethereum Blockchain-Based Credit Risk Assessment - September 18, 2017
- YouNow Announces the PROPS Ecosystem, Brings Cryptocurrency to Mobile Video - September 18, 2017
- Dash Grows in Accessibility; Listed on London Digital Asset Exchange and Broker Dash partners with CEX.IO - September 18, 2017
- Qtum Ignition Tackles Scalability with First Decentralized Governance Protocol - September 18, 2017
- The Grant Hero Foundation Aims to Disrupt the Non-Profit Industry with the GIVE Coin Using Ethereum Blockchain Technology - September 18, 2017
- Trippki Announces Hotel Booking and Rewards Platform to Simplify & Monetize Traveling - September 18, 2017
- Democratic Cryptocurrency Exchange Mandarin.top launches ICO - September 18, 2017
- Talla Launches Botchain, a Blockchain-Based Platform for Ensuring Certainty and Security in A.I. Autonomous Agents for Business - September 18, 2017
- NXT Blockchain Announces Big Changes for Voting, Money Transfer and More - September 17, 2017
- Swirlds Raises $3M Seed Round to Bring Improved Performance, Security to Distributed Ledger Applications - September 17, 2017
- ICOBox Token Sale Tops 3933 BTC For New and Existing ICOs - September 17, 2017
- 21 Thousand People Contribute To Kybernetwork As Company Reports ‘Smooth’ ICO - September 16, 2017
- Arna Genomics Introduces A Revolutionary Solution For Cancer Diagnostics And Treatment Biotechnologies – Blockchain Ecosystem Arna Panacea. - September 14, 2017
- Vietnam’s largest smart vending machine operator Dropfoods plans to raise US$9 mil through Initial Coin Offering (ICO) - September 13, 2017
- The City of Boise and ULedger Enter Into Agreement - September 13, 2017
- DigitalTown Introduces Blockchain Platform for Smart Cities - September 13, 2017
- BlueCoin 2.0 Incorporates Bluetooth Transactions & Cold Staking on Bitcoin Code - September 13, 2017
- Algebraix Data, The Company Enabling Consumers to Own and Monetize Their Own Data, Announces SAFT for ALX Tokens, a New Cryptocurrency - September 13, 2017
- Swiss ICO Summit Attracts Global Industry Leaders to Discuss Future of Crypto Finance - September 13, 2017
- American Banker’s Marc Hochstein Joins CoinDesk as Managing Editor - September 13, 2017
- TETHER and ETHFINEX Enable Tokenized USD on Ethereum Network - September 13, 2017