Hip, cool and young Australians are expected to flock to a complex chock full of new solar-powered one-bedroom apartments recently developed by Landcorp, the development arm of the government of Western Australia – and even more interestingly, they will be able to trade excess solar power with their neighbours in the new complex using a peer to peer energy trading platform developed on the Blockchain by Australian Blockchain Startup Powerledger.
According to a report by the Australian Financial Review:
Landcorp, the development arm of the government of Western Australia, is offering three one-bedroom apartments in the Gen Y development at an old school site in the Fremantle suburb of White Gum Valley complete with shared solar panels and a large battery.
The purchasers – expected to be young people paying about $400,000 for each apartment – will be able to trade their surplus share of the solar energy with each other over a secure blockchain platform hosted by Perth startup Power Ledger.
Not only with the tenants be able to sell excess power at a higher rate than they can sell it to the grid – Powerledger’s Blockchain-fueled peer-to-peer energy trading system offers extra backup batteries to the power grid – as intermittent wind and solar energy contracts and expands depending on weather conditions. This can therefore can free up some reliability on dirty coal power generation to keep the power supply stable.
The project is a clear challenge to Australian energy providers such as AGL Energy, Origin Energy and Energy Australia to move more quickly on their own renewable energy strategies as this kind of technology can disintermediate their position in the market and sends a signal that Uber and Airbnb are not the only projects around that have potential to reshape entire industries.
Peer to peer energy trading on the Blockchain has the potential to actually remove a fair chunk of the commodity traders currently positioned in most energy markets who often don’t add much value to the market in terms of local employment and add unnecessary markup on the consumer costs for energy.
More from the AFR report:
Most apartment-dwellers have been locked out of the solar energy revolution because they don’t control their roofs and metering in apartment blocks typically doesn’t allow solar power to be fairly allocated among occupants.
Power Ledger’s blockchain platform will credit and charge Gen Y occupants and others for the solar power they buy and sell. Power Ledger is also planning trials of its blockchain-based energy trading platform at a retirement village in Busselton in southwest WA, and New Zealand. It hopes soon to ink a deal with a major power distributor in Victoria.
The Gen Y apartments come with 9KW of solar panels and 10KWh of batteries supplied by China’s BYD, which also produces electric trucks and vehicles and counts investment legend Warren Buffett among its major investors. The federal green bank, Arena, funded half the solar panels and batteries.
In an article in the New Scientist, Powerledger co-founder Jemma Green says she was inspired by a similar project in Brooklyn called TransActive Grid. More than 100 buildings have been enrolled in that project, says LO3, the company behind TransActive Grid. It is looking into starting trials in Europe and Africa.
“I think that there are going to be hundreds of blockchain energy companies springing up in the next couple of years,” says Lawrence Orsini, founder of LO3 Energy. “It’s going to be a really interesting time in the energy space.”
New York-based LO3 Energy, a startup which is pushing toward the development of a community microgrid detached from the larger U.S. electricity grid sees blockchain technology to make a telling impact in the energy industry, at a time when there is an increased focus to move away from fossil fuels.
- Spotify acquires Blockchain Startup Mediachain Labs - April 29, 2017
- Trusted Identities in Blockchain Apps Shown to Work To Benefit Healthcare and Pharma - April 28, 2017
- Ten More Banks Join Ripple’s Global Payments Network - April 28, 2017
- Token.FM, First Blockchain-Based Direct-to-Fan Music Platform, to Launch Initial Trial in May, Opens Series A Round - April 28, 2017
- Mysterium To Build Blockchain-based VPN for Secure, Anonymous Internet Connection - April 28, 2017
- TaaS token crowdsale concludes with $7.7 million raised - April 28, 2017
- Humaniq Humanitarian Blockchain ICO breaks the $5 million barrier - April 28, 2017
- Exscudo, Blockchain Financial Services Provider Launches ICO - April 27, 2017
- Kibo Platforms’ Beta Version Be Launched in the Beginning of May - April 25, 2017
- Distributed Cloud Platform iEx.ec attracts $12M in Three Hours in ICO - April 25, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Working Group – Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT) – The Way Forward - April 25, 2017
- Blockchain App Humaniq’s HMQ Token to be Traded on Six Exchanges - April 24, 2017
- Five days left until Blockchain Startup Exscudo ICO - April 21, 2017
- Apptrade to Reward Crowdsale Participants with Three Percent Bonus - April 21, 2017
- Blockchain Technology Startup Humaniq Raises $3.8M and Signs Contract With Deloitte - April 21, 2017
- Monolith Studio Announces Crowdsale for TokenCard, the First Debit Card Powered by Smart Contracts - April 20, 2017
- Blockchain Co. SingularDTV Recruits Hollywood VP - April 18, 2017
- Factom Closes Extended Series A Round of $8 Million Following Harmony Product Launch - April 18, 2017
- Interview with Back to Earth founder Clay Space - April 18, 2017
- Ethereum Movie Initial Coin Offering Sell Out - April 18, 2017
- Insurtech Startup Etherisc Wins “Blockchain Oscar” for Innovative Insurance Platform - April 14, 2017
- India’s Blockchain Community Launches Digital Asset and Blockchain Foundation - April 14, 2017
- UK EPSRC Supports Seven Blockchain Projects with £3.6 Million - April 14, 2017
- Dutch National Blockchain Coalition Presents Action Agenda - April 14, 2017
- Broadridge, J.P. Morgan, Northern Trust and Banco Santander Successfully Complete Pilot of for Blockchain Voting - April 14, 2017
- Blockgeeks Labs to Hold Blockchain Hackathon in Toronto - April 14, 2017
- Exscudo network EON coins are available for pre-order - April 13, 2017
- One of Big Four accounting firms is now legal adviser of Exscudo - April 12, 2017
- Dash Cryptocurrency Signs on with Kraken - April 12, 2017
- Blockchain Capital Closes ICO – $10 Million in Six Hours Raised in Record Time - April 11, 2017
- Ethereum meets Hyperledger – Burrow Ethereum Smart Contract Machine to Join Hyperledger - April 11, 2017
- Porsche Announces First Blockchain Contest - April 10, 2017
- Fidelity Labs Joins IC3 Blockchain Group - April 10, 2017
- Global Graphchain Project FERMAT Announces Distributed Governance Model Featuring Contribution Contracts - April 10, 2017
- Coinsilium and Oraclize sign MoU to form Strategic Alliance - April 10, 2017
- Industry Thought Leaders Invest With Blockchain Capital in its Ground-Breaking ICO - April 8, 2017
- Novus To Launch Innovative Blockchain Advanced File Index System - April 5, 2017
- Lykke Announces OEM Services – Lykke Accelerator - April 5, 2017
- BitHub.Africa Announces ICO Campaign to Foster Region’s Cryptocurrency Ecosystem - April 5, 2017
- SibCoin: Siberia Down, China to Go - April 4, 2017
- Groundbreaking Blockchain Research to Feature at International Financial Cryptography Conference - April 4, 2017
- Exscudo, The Nextgen Financial System, Announces ICO - April 4, 2017
- A Film by Manuel Stagars – The Blockchain And Us Video Documentary – Released in Full - April 4, 2017
- Genpact Harnesses Blockchain Technology to Transform F&A Operations to Improve Cash Flow and Enhance Customer Experience - April 4, 2017
- Blockchain Startup TaaS Partners With Exchange Platforms - April 4, 2017
- Synereo announces Qrator – The First Attention Economy App - April 4, 2017
- Blockchain Capital Releases Offering Memorandum for Its $10 Million Digital Token Offering - April 4, 2017
- Lykke Announces Availability of Blockchain Startup ChronoBank TIME Token - April 3, 2017
- Blockchain Workspace Launches Blockchain Education Company in Amsterdam, Netherlands - April 3, 2017
- Blockchain Startup SingularDTV Goes Hollywood - April 1, 2017