Online gambling industry is facing a big problem these days – players are losing their trust in online casinos because of the fear being scammed. When a player enters the digital gambling world he can not be sure that his odds are not rigged and that the outcome of the game is actually random. Everyone needs to know whether they are just having a bad day and bad luck or casino saw a big bet and decided to give a low card on purpose.
Not so long time ago, three guys were faced with this problem and they decided to do something about it – gather a team and create the first decentralised Ethereum smart contract-based casino which offers a 0% house edge and solves the online gambling transparency question once and for all – Edgeless. Thanks to Ethereum smart contracts everything what is happening inside the casino will be easy accessed by anyone, so that all the paranoid people can be 100% sure that no one is trying to scam them.
The most important thing when it comes to fairness in any kind of online game is the randomness of numbers/outcomes. In order words – when you roll the dice – you don’t know whether the outcome is actually random (just like when you roll the dice in real life) or is it programmed to make you lose your bet. The list of casinos that got caught cheating in many ways, including rigging the outcome, is huge. This mechanism is pretty simple and that is why it is easily rigged. Online casino creates a random number using combination of casino’s number and client’s number. It blends 2 numbers and provides random outcome.
Idea behind that is: casino can rigg own number, but they would not be able to rigg client’s number and outcome will random, therefore casino would not able to cheat. But there is still three ways to do it:
- Casino can easily influence client’s number assigning it on their own (that’s the case in most casinos, because an average player is not going to type and give random number before every gamble round – even if they have this option)
- Client enters number once and he is not changing it. Casino can identify it and use that information and adjust own number.
- Casino can delay own number and provided it to the ‘bender’ once visitor sent his. Then casino can adjust own number to client’s.
If the online casino which is based on smart contracts would try to rig the odds, it would be immediately spotted.
Moreover, 0% house edge can sound a bit crazy, but in reality even with 0% house edge, a player because of its imperfect play, gives around 0,83% to the casino – this was calculated by a former Nevada Gaming Control agent and professional card counter Bill Zender.
An average player does not play ‘the perfect game’ therefore, in the long run the casino takes a profit from his mistakes. An analogy can be taken from poker. A new player is playing against a Pro. Both have equal probability conditions – 50% vs. 50%. However, the Pro player makes better choices and the new player makes bad decisions, and in the long run, the Pro wins. 0% edge card games will be a primary marketing tool to attract players, but additionally, the casino will make profit from sports betting. In this area, the casino will earn 4% from all money wagered.
First there was online fiat money gambling houses, then we got Bitcoin casinos and now – the new era of casinos are about to begin. Decentralized, transparent and 0% edge casino is about to be launched.
Edgeless decided to raise an initial capital through Initial Coin Offering (ICO). Developers distribute a percentage of the initial coin supply among the early supporters and backers. Each one who will invest in Edgeless will be able to get his cut from 40% of profit which will be sent each month through smart contracts. According to Edgeless team, in 2018, the return of investment will be – 14.54%.
The money that is raised is usually spent on the future development of Edgeless casino and its games.
Their crowdfunding campaign will start on 16th of February 2017, 3:00 pm GMT and their goal is to raise 440 000 ETH by selling Edgeless tokens, the rate is 1 ETH = 1000 EDG. Then during next 6-8 months developed their first online game, 0% edge BlackJack, and set it live. In the future developments there is a plan to add more games to the package: 0% edge Video Poker, 0% edge Micro Limits Dice and Sports Betting.
- Lykke Crowdfunding – One -year Lykke Forward Offering - February 22, 2017
- Daimler AG Joins Hyperledger Blockchain Consortium as Premier Member - February 21, 2017
- Voatz and Clear Ballot to Explore Blockchain Technology for Remote Voting - February 20, 2017
- New Blockchain Smart Contract Token Developed By GameCredits - February 20, 2017
- Blockchain Could Be a New Operating System for the Planet Says Jeremy Wilson, Vice Chairman of Barclays Corporate Banking - February 20, 2017
- JAAK and the Guardian Initiative Announce MΞTA: A Blockchain Pilot for The Media & Entertainment Industry - February 18, 2017
- The StabL Project – Hadrien Charlanes Plans Stable Tokens and Derivative Products For Ethereum Blockchain - February 17, 2017
- Blockchain Energy Trading Trials Kickoff with Canada’s BTL Group and Austria’s Wien Energie - February 16, 2017
- Smart Dubai Office (SDO) and 1776 Launch Blockchain Challenge - February 16, 2017
- BOScoin, a New Cryptocurrency, Introduces “Trust Contracts” to Overcome the Shortcomings of Ethereum Smart Contracts - February 16, 2017
- European Commission Working on Blockchain – Plans Actively Seeking Pilot Partners - February 16, 2017
- Canadian Blockchain Company SecureKey Awarded U.S. Department of Homeland Security Grant - February 16, 2017
- Microsoft and KPMG Cut Deal and Kickoff Blockchain Nodes in Frankfurt and Singapore - February 16, 2017
- Global Blockchain Project FERMAT Announces Significant Alpha Release for the “Internet of People” - February 16, 2017
- Russian Blockchain Startup Exscudo Aims to Bridge Traditional Finances And The Cryptocurrency Market - February 15, 2017
- Active Year Ahead for Blockchain Solutions in Financial Services, says Corporate Insight - February 14, 2017
- BlockApps and Red Hat Cut Deal to Deliver Hybrid Cloud Solution for Blockchain Applications in the Enterprise - February 14, 2017
- Hyperledger Blockchain Turns One – Director Brian Behlendorf Updates - February 14, 2017
- The State Bank of India Initiates National Blockchain Bank Consortium - February 14, 2017
- The National Bank of Abu Dhabi (NBAD) Introduces Real-Time Cross-Border Blockchain Payments - February 14, 2017
- China Turning Hard to Blockchain – Focus on Fraud Reduction - February 13, 2017
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to Kick Off Blockchain in Heathcare Code-A-Thon - February 13, 2017
- Hexayurt Capital presents the Internet of Agreements at the World Government Summit - February 13, 2017
- EquiChain – Blockchain for Emerging Markets Post-Trade - February 13, 2017
- UK Government Approves Tramonex Labs to Issue Currency on Blockchain - February 12, 2017
- US Congress Buckles Down With Blockchain – Launch Congressional Blockchain Caucus - February 11, 2017
- Nick Szabo: Some Private Blockchains Qualify as Bona Fide Blockchains - February 10, 2017
- Bitfury Group and Government of Georgia Expand Blockchain Land Titling Project - February 10, 2017
- Expanse Project Announces Launch of the Expanse Bond System (EBS) - February 10, 2017
- WISeKey to Establish IoT Blockchain Center of Excellence in New York - February 10, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Coinfirm Gets $700k Growth Equity Via VC Funding - February 10, 2017
- Blockchain Health Startup Hashed Health Raises Nearly $2 Million in Initial Funding Round - February 10, 2017
- IBM Kicks Off Blockchain Initiative with Dubai Government - February 10, 2017
- Blockchain Pioneer Medici Ventures Invests in Factom, Inc. - February 7, 2017
- Canadian Blockchain Startup Equibit Raises Quarter Million Dollars in Day One of Initial Coin Offering (ICO) - February 5, 2017
- Blockchain-Fuelled Grantcoin Foundation Distributes Universal Basic Income (UBI) Grants To 1,132 People In 79 Countries - February 5, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Chronobank partners with NEM to create ChronoNEM wallet - February 3, 2017
- dotBlockchain Music Project Announces Partners - February 2, 2017
- Switzerland Promises to Ease Rules for Fintech and Blockchain Startups - February 2, 2017
- Netherlands’ ING Bank Completes 27 Blockchain POCs - February 2, 2017
- South African Blockchain-Based AR Game nears $1 Million in ICO Funding Goal - February 2, 2017
- The Wall Street Blockchain Alliance Announces New Blockchain Assets Working Group - February 2, 2017
- Tel Aviv’s Colu Launches Local Digital Currency for Liverpool – East London Next - February 2, 2017
- South Africa Mulling Over Blockchain Digital Currency - February 2, 2017
- Nine in Ten Governments Investing in Blockchain by 2018 Says IBM Study - February 2, 2017
- NATO Awards Estonian Blockchain Company Guardtime Contract for Next-Generation Cyber Range - February 2, 2017
- Microsoft and Tierion Collaborate on Attestations and Blockchain Proofs - February 2, 2017
- Irish Funds and Deloitte Trial Blockchain Proof-of-Concept - February 2, 2017
- Cambridge Blockchain Raise $2 Million for Digital Identity Enterprise Software - February 2, 2017
- National Altcoins – a Toy for Market Sharks or Godsend for Local Communities? - February 1, 2017