A recently published paper by Kartik Hegadekatti Ph.D. has unveiled an interesting concept called the Blockchain Interaction Unit (BIU) – a method that renders Blockchain services accessible to individuals without having to use any electronic devices.
This paper envisages a method to make Blockchain accessible to all irrespective of whether they possess personal devices or not.
The Blockchain Interaction Units (BIU):
BIUs can be setup in certain places, as is the case with ATMs, where individuals without access to electronic devices can operate their NationCoin wallets. The organization responsible for issuing and managing RSBCs, which is known as the Digital Assets Reserve (DAR), can setup 500 BIUs across the country as a start, via funding from the federal government. These 500 BIUs will cost approximately 5 million USDs, considering the current cost of conventional ATM machines.
BIUs will enable users to operate their NaionCoin wallets. 50-70% of ATMs in any given country can be presumably replaced by BIUs over a period of approximately 5 years. Furthermore, conventional ATMs can be customized to operate as BIUs too. Accordingly, there will be a single machine that can handle both fiat and cryptocurrency operations.
Each owner of a NationCoin wallet, who doesn’t have access to a personal electronic device, will be given a flash drive that includes the public and private keys of his/her coins, so that he/she can operate the wallet on the BIU. BIUs will communicate with the Blockchain network the same way personal electronic devices do; the only difference will be that they have a public interface. For illiterate individuals, transactions can be initiated via BIUs setup as public service initiatives.
BIUs can also be used to carry out non-monetary transactions such as property transfer, smart contracts…etc. All federal agencies will have BIUs setup on their premises. This is essential to catalyze the establishment of a flourishing digital economy.
The below figure illustrates a possible interface for the BIU:
The following needs to be ensured:
- Power connectivity: Just like an ATM, a BIU needs electric power to function. This represents a great opportunity to introduce renewable sources of energy. Solar panels can be utilized to power BIUs.
- Data connectivity: BIUs require internet connection, just like a conventional ATM, to operate.
- Flash drives: a 64 MB flash drive is sufficient to store a user’s private and public keys. They can be massively produced for as low as 50 cents a piece. Extremely poor individuals can be identified and these flash drives can be offered to them along with simple training on how to operate their cryptocurrency wallets.
The following represents the advantages of BIUs:
- BIUs will give the poor and illiterate individuals the opportunity to have access to the Blockchain economy.
- One won’t need to carry a smartphone, a tablet or a laptop to send or receive payments on the Blockchain.
- As governmental agencies will rely on BIUs, this will greatly reduce manpower, staffing costs and other resources.
- Record keeping and administration will be paperless and hassle-free.
- Apart from an economy based on cash, BIUs will enable governments to have a real-time prediction of the total amount of money circulating in the system.
- Middlemen and intermediaries, that are the source of much corruption in third world countries, will be bypassed as any individual will be able to transact and trade using BIUs.
- BIUs cannot be stolen or looted as is the case with conventional ATMs. The logistical hassles of transferring cash to supply ATMs will be eliminated.
- Unlike conventional ATMs, individuals will be able to deal with currencies of several countries via BIUs.
- Spotify acquires Blockchain Startup Mediachain Labs - April 29, 2017
- Trusted Identities in Blockchain Apps Shown to Work To Benefit Healthcare and Pharma - April 28, 2017
- Ten More Banks Join Ripple’s Global Payments Network - April 28, 2017
- Token.FM, First Blockchain-Based Direct-to-Fan Music Platform, to Launch Initial Trial in May, Opens Series A Round - April 28, 2017
- Mysterium To Build Blockchain-based VPN for Secure, Anonymous Internet Connection - April 28, 2017
- TaaS token crowdsale concludes with $7.7 million raised - April 28, 2017
- Humaniq Humanitarian Blockchain ICO breaks the $5 million barrier - April 28, 2017
- Exscudo, Blockchain Financial Services Provider Launches ICO - April 27, 2017
- Kibo Platforms’ Beta Version Be Launched in the Beginning of May - April 25, 2017
- Distributed Cloud Platform iEx.ec attracts $12M in Three Hours in ICO - April 25, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Working Group – Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT) – The Way Forward - April 25, 2017
- Blockchain App Humaniq’s HMQ Token to be Traded on Six Exchanges - April 24, 2017
- Five days left until Blockchain Startup Exscudo ICO - April 21, 2017
- Apptrade to Reward Crowdsale Participants with Three Percent Bonus - April 21, 2017
- Blockchain Technology Startup Humaniq Raises $3.8M and Signs Contract With Deloitte - April 21, 2017
- Monolith Studio Announces Crowdsale for TokenCard, the First Debit Card Powered by Smart Contracts - April 20, 2017
- Blockchain Co. SingularDTV Recruits Hollywood VP - April 18, 2017
- Factom Closes Extended Series A Round of $8 Million Following Harmony Product Launch - April 18, 2017
- Interview with Back to Earth founder Clay Space - April 18, 2017
- Ethereum Movie Initial Coin Offering Sell Out - April 18, 2017
- Insurtech Startup Etherisc Wins “Blockchain Oscar” for Innovative Insurance Platform - April 14, 2017
- India’s Blockchain Community Launches Digital Asset and Blockchain Foundation - April 14, 2017
- UK EPSRC Supports Seven Blockchain Projects with £3.6 Million - April 14, 2017
- Dutch National Blockchain Coalition Presents Action Agenda - April 14, 2017
- Broadridge, J.P. Morgan, Northern Trust and Banco Santander Successfully Complete Pilot of for Blockchain Voting - April 14, 2017
- Blockgeeks Labs to Hold Blockchain Hackathon in Toronto - April 14, 2017
- Exscudo network EON coins are available for pre-order - April 13, 2017
- One of Big Four accounting firms is now legal adviser of Exscudo - April 12, 2017
- Dash Cryptocurrency Signs on with Kraken - April 12, 2017
- Blockchain Capital Closes ICO – $10 Million in Six Hours Raised in Record Time - April 11, 2017
- Ethereum meets Hyperledger – Burrow Ethereum Smart Contract Machine to Join Hyperledger - April 11, 2017
- Porsche Announces First Blockchain Contest - April 10, 2017
- Fidelity Labs Joins IC3 Blockchain Group - April 10, 2017
- Global Graphchain Project FERMAT Announces Distributed Governance Model Featuring Contribution Contracts - April 10, 2017
- Coinsilium and Oraclize sign MoU to form Strategic Alliance - April 10, 2017
- Industry Thought Leaders Invest With Blockchain Capital in its Ground-Breaking ICO - April 8, 2017
- Novus To Launch Innovative Blockchain Advanced File Index System - April 5, 2017
- Lykke Announces OEM Services – Lykke Accelerator - April 5, 2017
- BitHub.Africa Announces ICO Campaign to Foster Region’s Cryptocurrency Ecosystem - April 5, 2017
- SibCoin: Siberia Down, China to Go - April 4, 2017
- Groundbreaking Blockchain Research to Feature at International Financial Cryptography Conference - April 4, 2017
- Exscudo, The Nextgen Financial System, Announces ICO - April 4, 2017
- A Film by Manuel Stagars – The Blockchain And Us Video Documentary – Released in Full - April 4, 2017
- Genpact Harnesses Blockchain Technology to Transform F&A Operations to Improve Cash Flow and Enhance Customer Experience - April 4, 2017
- Blockchain Startup TaaS Partners With Exchange Platforms - April 4, 2017
- Synereo announces Qrator – The First Attention Economy App - April 4, 2017
- Blockchain Capital Releases Offering Memorandum for Its $10 Million Digital Token Offering - April 4, 2017
- Lykke Announces Availability of Blockchain Startup ChronoBank TIME Token - April 3, 2017
- Blockchain Workspace Launches Blockchain Education Company in Amsterdam, Netherlands - April 3, 2017
- Blockchain Startup SingularDTV Goes Hollywood - April 1, 2017