From the stage of the largest Blockchain conference in the world, Deloitte will give a behind-the-scenes look at one collaborative effort in development in Hong Kong, walking through its creation and some of its challenges to get to this point – as well as what’s ahead.
In addition, Deloitte revealed a number of new Blockchain prototypes it has developed, preview new research on the Blockchain space and unveil two new marketplace consortiums it has joined.
Eric Piscini – a principal with Deloitte Consulting LLP and the global Blockchain leader for financial services – took the stage at CoinDesk’s Consensus 2017 to discuss the latest Deloitte developments.
“The potential to rewire financial transactions is significant with Blockchain,” said Piscini. “Similar to when we rewired the backbones of the power, transportationand information industries, it will take courage and time to change the ways we transact today — and that’s what we hope to show at Consensus 2017. Blockchain will be bigger than you can imagine, but will be harder than everybody expected.”
Piscini also will introduce Lory Kehoe, a director with Deloitte Ireland and leader of Deloitte’s Dublin Blockchain lab, with an executive from the Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA) to discuss a trade finance-focused Blockchain solution.
The new platform was developed for financial institutions, buyers, sellers, and logistics companies to digitize paper-intensive processes through smart contracts. It will also help reduce the risk of fraudulent trade and duplicate financing, and improve transparency and new product innovation of the industry as a whole. The five leading trade finance banks in Hong Kong were also central to its creation.
“Deloitte’s Blockchain team is comprised of more than 800 professionals across 20 countries, with specialists now across every major business sector,” said Piscini. “Not only do we have Blockchain labs in New York and Dublin, but we will be announcing another very shortly.”
Here is a look at what else Deloitte revealed at the conference.
Deloitte showcased a number of new Blockchain prototypes it has built for the first time, adding to its library of more than 30 altogether.
The prototypes will be led by Deloitte Mercury platform, which has re-imagined how trade finance can leverage a Blockchain-based infrastructure to drive efficiencies, reduce cost and open up new revenue opportunities, including newer models of credit and funding guarantees that back a trade. This platform was utilized in the HKMA effort.
Other new prototypes include platforms around reinsurance, know-your-customer regulations, real estate leasing, regulatory reporting for mutual fund administrators, and voting processes. These collectively include efforts from Deloitte’s teams from across the globe, including its member firms in U.S., Ireland, Canada and the Netherlands. Each will be on display at the event.
Finally, Deloitte will release three new white papers, led by “Taking Blockchain Live: The 20 Questions that Must Be Answered to Move Beyond Proofs of Concept.”
Informed by Deloitte’s recent conversations with clients, “20 Questions” finds that there are 20 essential questions that must be asked – and answered – to help determine whether an effort achieves the status of being a successful new technology innovation or an abandoned proof of concept. As the report states, “… by addressing these questions early, the chances of successfully harvesting the benefits of Blockchain increase dramatically.”
Other new research that will be unveiled include looks at both cybersecurity and risk in the Blockchain technology, as well as a preview of a forthcoming Deloitte Center for Financial Services analysis that tracks Blockchain’s growth in the open-source world.
Deloitte will also announce that it has joined two global consortiums:
- The Enterprise Ethereum Alliance, which connects Fortune 500 enterprises, startups, academics and technology vendors to promote, develop and implement enterprise grade Ethereum-based Blockchain applications across industries; and
- Hyperledger Project under the Linux Foundation, a collaborative cross-industry effort created to advance Blockchain technology globally, which is seeking to create an open standard for distributed ledgers for a new generation of transactional applications.
“Blockchain is the catalyst for a larger digital transformation impacting the financial services space,” said Joe Guastella, a principal with Deloitte Consulting LLP and the global leader of Deloitte’s consulting practice focused on financial institutions. “Deloitte’s effort is a global one, as we connect our clients – some of the best-known players in the world – with some of the top vendors and Blockchain technology companies out there. We’re thrilled to be showcasing our collective ecosystem this year at Consensus.”
The event is being livestreamed here.
- Grid Foundation unveils an Enterprise ‘Cloud Operating System’ for All Blockchains - October 23, 2017
- Cashaa welcomes Central bankers, MIT scientists and Fortune Top 500 Leaders for its CAS token sale - October 23, 2017
- Sun Exchange Raises $1.6 Million Seed Investment to Catalyze Global Shift to Solar Power - October 22, 2017
- Brickblock And Nakamo.to Announce Partnership To Fuse Real-world Asset Trading With The Potential Of IOTA’s Tangle Network - October 22, 2017
- Wirex inks deal with SBI Holdings to establish Asia focussed joint venture – Japanese cryptocurrency payments card expected soon - October 22, 2017
- CrowdWiz successfully raises over $5 million in its pre sale to bring democracy to investing by cutting out the middleman - October 22, 2017
- Soma – launches ICO to tackle marketplace fraud and disrupt the $1.7 trillion global second-hand goods industry - October 22, 2017
- LiveEdu.tv Launches ICO and Announces Presale - October 22, 2017
- Yetta announces ICO of European Commission funded Blockchain Research and Development - October 22, 2017
- Pulsar Venture Capital Holds ICO to Raise Money Using Blockchain - October 19, 2017
- Dash Expands Reach In Asia Through Cooperation With Rising Fintech Company QUOINE - October 19, 2017
- Hacken and Neuromation Partnership Launched to Stomp out Blockchain Cybercrime - October 19, 2017
- Playkey Brings in $1 Million in Pre-Sale Campaign and Welcomes Dillon Seo as VR Advisor - October 19, 2017
- SolarCoin Founders Introduce New Blockchain-Based Network for Global, Decentralized Energy Trading - October 19, 2017
- Kazakhstan’s Lendex.io plans ICO in early 2018 - October 19, 2017
- Swissborg – The Blockchain Era of Swiss Private Banking – Announced ICO - October 19, 2017
- Bank4YOU Group’s launches ICO end of October – Investors Call to Action - October 19, 2017
- Live Pre-sale of Trive: Fights Fake News Using Cryptocurrency and Crowdsourced Research - October 19, 2017
- A New Ozone Layer? Arcona Plans for Augmented Reality Layer to Cover Earth Surface in new AR project - October 19, 2017
- Cofound.it Introduces Seed Program for Early Blockchain Startups - October 19, 2017
- LOOMIA Announces Collaboration With Storj Labs, Introduces Smart Fabrics and Consumer Data to Blockchain Technology - October 19, 2017
- DECENT Launches Beta Release of DECENT GO, The First Decentralized Marketplace for Digital Content - October 19, 2017
- Orebits Corporation, Inc. Announces Orebits Pool, LLC and Orebits.AU Eco-System - October 19, 2017
- Pareto – the Peer to Peer Financial Content Marketplace Announces Token Sale - October 19, 2017
- Appsolutely Launches the LoyalPlatform, LoyalCoin and LoyalWallet; Using Blockchain to Usher in the New “Loyalty Economy” - October 19, 2017
- Eidoo Raises $27.9m In Successful ICO To Bridge The Cryptocurrency Gap And Open The World Of Digital Currencies To The Masses - October 19, 2017
- Malta-based RoboAdvisorCoin (RAC) Launches Token Sale for Robo-Advisor Dedicated to Cryptocurrencies and Digital Assets - October 19, 2017
- BLOCKv Announces the Availability of VEE Tokens Through Its Upcoming Token Generation Event – Open to Public on October 19, 2017 - October 19, 2017
- The Fundchain initiative starts again this year with new Research & Development roadmap for the investment fund industry - October 19, 2017
- Digital Cryptocurrency Vault DigiPulse Reaches $1 million in Token Sale - October 19, 2017
- Tickets Cloud Kicks off crypto.tickets ICO - October 19, 2017
- Ex-JP Morgan Vice President Dr Joseph Chen-Yu Wang Joins Ambrosus as Project Manager - October 19, 2017
- Russian Wood for Cryptocurrency – Timber! - October 19, 2017
- Proof Suite Announces Token Sale for Blockchain Platform Designed to Tokenize and Insure Real World Assets - October 19, 2017
- DataWallet Announces Blockchain-Based, Consumer-to-Business Data Exchange - October 19, 2017
- IEEE Releases Findings from First Detailed Study of Blockchain Adoption in the Pharmaceutical Enterprise - October 19, 2017
- Horizon State Launches Token Sale to Modernize Global Voting and Collaborative Decision Making - October 19, 2017
- Metaps Plans to Launch Time Marketplace ‘Timebank’ Token Sale on COMSA - October 19, 2017
- Lykke Vanuatu brings Binary.com tokens to Lykke Vanuatu Exchange - October 19, 2017
- After raising $15M in a pre-sale, BitClave is ramping up for its Nov 8 crowdsale, and its plans to redefine the search experience - October 19, 2017
- Kazakhstan Is About To Launch The First Cryptocurrency, Directly Backed By Fiat Money - October 19, 2017
- Positive.com launches to protect Initial Coin Offerings from cyber attack - October 19, 2017
- Latium Launches LATX Cryptocurrency Token Sale for Participation in AI-Based Tasking Platform - October 18, 2017
- IBM Announces Major Blockchain Solution to Speed Global Payments - October 18, 2017
- Launch of SMSCHAIN, a Blockchain-based SMS Gateway - October 18, 2017
- Streamr Concludes a 30 Million CHF Crowd Contribution Period to Build Decentralized Real-Time Data Economy - October 18, 2017
- Publica Building New eCommerce Platform for the Publishing Ecosystem – Token Sale Coming Soon - October 18, 2017
- BLOCKv Partners with Storj Labs to Provide Decentralized Storage Architecture and New Toolsets to Power Next Generation Digital Objects - October 18, 2017
- Coinme Announces the Start of the UpToken Sale Today With Over $40 Million USD in Pre-Registration Signups - October 18, 2017
- Blockbid Announces Launch Of ICO Backed By Multi-Cryptocurrency Trading Platform - October 18, 2017