Mozilla co-founder Brendan Eich’s project Brave, a Blockchain-based web browser ripped through their initial coin offering (ICO) today that has redefined the concept of speed in terms of token sales.
The ERC-20 compliant coin called the Basic Attention Token (BAT) sucked in $35 million in less than a few blocks… the ICO started funding at block 3798640 and accepted its last deposit at 3798642. They raised $36 million and it was all over in under 30 seconds.
Allegedly only 184 were able to buy in with a few people dropping in significant ETH to hit the cap within seconds. With less than 200 wallets controlling the supply, including a small number whales who purchased over 5 percent of the total supply each according to reports at Reddit.
Remember that while events like these may be exciting (and highly profitable for the 192 investors that got in), it brings increased regulatory pressure.
Example: A U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission OFFICIAL SAID ON TUESDAY, “If you want this industry to flourish, protection of investors should be at the forefront … At the SEC, we like to facilitate capital-raising, but at the same time, we want to ensure a fair market”
Objectively, speaking this was the furthest thing from a fair and balanced market. Yes, everyone had the opportunity to attempt investing at the same time, but people with large amounts of ETH (think: 3,000+) purchasing significant percentages of the supply and selling out one of the largest crowdfunding campaigns in history within seconds is in no way balanced.
Building community is a key part of successful post-ICO projects and with so few buyers this could actually be problematic rather than beneficial, if they want people to use the browser.
Commenters at Bitcoin talk were complaining about a influx of Bitcoin whales accusing that four people bought 40 percent of the supply and they started to sell off immediatly as it become tradeable on the exchanges for 10x ICO price.
It appears that some shelled out thousands of dollars in transaction fees to cut the line, according to Ethereum co-founder Vitalik Buterin on Twitter:
https://t.co/oiFGyh1iju This is a $2220 tx fee, used to cut in line in BAT ICO. “Ethereum avg txfee $1” statistics include stuff like this.
— Vitalik Buterin (@VitalikButerin) May 31, 2017
Well it’s not going to get easier for the ‘small guy’ to get a piece of the action as it did 24 hours ago. And what lies in the future for ICOs when the Whales and the incoming institutional investors come in with deep pockets and simply cut the cue remains to be seen. There’s some irony in cryptoanarchists (who make up a fair size of the cryptocommunity) complaining about lack of rules when it comes down to letting the free markets freely enriching the rich.
- Ex Ethereum, Stripe & Apple Trio Raising $1 million – Skipping ICO – to Crowdfund Blockchain Wallet for Banks - August 21, 2017
- Cindicator Brings AI and Collective Intelligence to Drive 47% Investment Yield Per Annum - August 21, 2017
- Cryptopay Plans ICO Based on Users Request - August 21, 2017
- Kybernetwork To Close Their ICO Whitelist Early Due To Massive Early Registration - August 20, 2017
- VR Startup DECENTRALAND Closes Token Launch with $25 Million Raise in 10 Seconds - August 19, 2017
- Napoleonx Plans DAFs (Decentralized Autonomous Funds) To Bridge The Gap Between Crypto And Real Assets Active Investing, Unboxing The Crypto World - August 19, 2017
- Lampix Image Mining for Augmented Reality - August 19, 2017
- BlockMason Announces First SEC-Compliant Public American ICO - August 18, 2017
- Tightened EU Regulations Enabling Blockchain Technology in Pharmaceutical Supply Chain - August 18, 2017
- Mark Cuban Portfolio Company Unikrn Seeks to Sell $100 Million in UnikoinGold tokens - August 18, 2017
- Dash To Host Its First Ever Global Conference - August 17, 2017
- LAToken Tokenized Apple Shares to Sell Them for Cryptocurrencies - August 17, 2017
- Sensay, Groundbreaking AI and Chatbot Company Launches Token Sale - August 17, 2017
- ICOBox Token Presale Attracts $8.3 Million - August 17, 2017
- Indorse, the Decentralized Professional Social Network, Receives Additional Backing From Coinsilium After $5.5 million Pre-Sale - August 16, 2017
- Decentraland Partners With imToken, Connext, and Bitcoin Suisse - August 16, 2017
- Ethereum-based Car Towing Aggregator CarTaxi Plans ICO - August 16, 2017
- Ukraine Government to Allow Foreign Investors to Purchase Real Estate Online with Propy - August 16, 2017
- Cofound.it to Launch Weekly Crowdsales through September - August 15, 2017
- Blockstream Satellite: Broadcasting Bitcoin from Space - August 15, 2017
- Dr. Christian Seberino – Houston Texas Blockchain Course Kicks Off Friday August 18, 2017 - August 14, 2017
- Skycoin – Skywire Miner: Hardware for the Next Internet - August 12, 2017
- NSD and Waves kickstart development of Crypto Assets platform - August 12, 2017
- ICONOMI Introduces Columbus Capital As Its First Asset Management Partner - August 12, 2017
- Siberians to Launch ICO for Decentralized Betting eSports Platform - August 12, 2017
- Decentralized News Network Releases Alpha Update - August 12, 2017
- Gibraltar’s Fintech Sector Moves Forward – Awards Xapo E-money license - August 11, 2017
- AMBROSUS Partners with TREK THERAPEUTICS to Develop a Blockchain-powered Method to Track Quality in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing - August 11, 2017
- Outlier Ventures Becomes First VC To Hire ‘Head of Crypto-Economics’ With Appointment of Eden Dhaliwal - August 11, 2017
- Rivetz Raises $5.5 Million in RvT Token Pre-Sale; Public Token Crowdsale Begins Today, Capped at 200,000 ETH - August 10, 2017
- Leading Japanese VCs, Nippon Technology Venture Partners, FISCO Capitals, and ABBALab Inc all to invest in COMSA ICO tokens and XEM - August 10, 2017
- Binded Launches One Click U.S. Copyright Registrations - August 10, 2017
- Illinois Opens Blockchain Development Partnership with Hashed Health - August 9, 2017
- Jaxx and Cofound.it Partner to Give Best New Cryptocurrencies Immediate Liquidity - August 9, 2017
- GoldMint Project Plans to Provide 100 per cent Gold-Backed Stable Assets - August 9, 2017
- Launching a Blockchain Solution to Make Aviation Safer – Aeron.aero - August 9, 2017
- Blackmoon Financial Group Launches Blockchain-Based Platform for Tokenized Investment Funds - August 9, 2017
- SONM Launches Updated Platform With Discovery Algorithm - August 9, 2017
- AirFox Announces ICO to Make Mobile Data More Accessible and Affordable - August 8, 2017
- Golden Fleece Project To Expand Massive Altcoin Mining Ecosystem With Token Sale - August 8, 2017
- Notorious Lobbyist Jack Abramoff to Coach Bitcoin Activists in New Washington, DC-based Reality Docu-series from Blockchain Entertainment and Ignition Creative - August 8, 2017
- ATMChain’s Project In China With 7,000 Intelligent Media Screens ‘Goes Blockchain’ Through DECENT - August 8, 2017
- NEM.io Foundation Partners with Blockchain Global to Expand International Reach - August 8, 2017
- CFTE working with MAS to help ASEAN finance professionals acquire the skills of Finance 2.0 - August 8, 2017
- Rivetz International Partners with LAToken to Boost Marketplace Security on Mobile Devices - August 8, 2017
- investFeed Finishes Successful Token Generation Event - August 8, 2017
- Zen Protocol Unveils Testnet To Decentralize Finance - August 8, 2017
- Blockchain Startup JAAK Announce Official Pilot With Viacom UK - August 7, 2017
- RefToken Releases Blockchain Affiliate Platform Prototype – Announces Token Generation Event - August 5, 2017
- Dash Employs Elite Cybersecurity Service Bugcrowd to ‘Hack’ Its Blockchain - August 5, 2017