ETHLend launched recently decentralized lending on Ethereum Blockchain. Accessible with the use of MetaMask, ETHLend started with secured lending by allowing borrowers to pledge ERC-20 compatible tokens as a collateral. Since then, ETHLend has introduced the ability to pledge Ethereum Name Service (ENS) domains as a collateral.
All transactions are performed on smart contract, which holds the collateral until the loans is paid back. In case the borrower does not pay the loan back, the collateral is transferred to the lender, who can sell or auction the collateral to regain any losses.
Initial Coin Offerings require working capital. Blockchain startups that have chosen the ICO-path find often that ICOs require resources such as marketing, PR, development, security efforts, translations and client service. Such efforts require working capital that some Blockchain startups might not have.
The use of smart contracts and ERC-20 compatible tokens might introduce a new decentralized way to receive working capital for Initial Coin Offerings (ICO) or pre-sales of ICOs. Since most of the Blockchain startups allocate part of token total supply to the venture itself or to developers’ fund. Some of these tokens could be used to attract working capital for the ICO preparations by pledging the tokens to get a loan and paying the loan back once the ICO is over and funds have been raised.
For example, the Blockchain startup could pledge tokens as a collateral that covers 150% of the borrowed Ether (ETH) value. If the startup plans to sell 5 000 tokens for 1 ETH in ICO, the startup would pledge 7 500 tokens for every ETH that they borrow and provide an attractive interest rate such from 5-10%. The loan maturity would end after the ICO. Therefore, the startup can repay the loan back to the lenders once funded. Such a loan might be attractive to the lenders due to sufficient collateral.
ETHLend’s solution might ease the funding pains of a Blockchain startup and provide passive income for the ETH holders in form of interest. The solution mimics real world financing with corporate bonds. Instead, these “cryptobonds” are not transferrable and handled completely with smart contracts. Using smart contracts provides more transparency and does not require to trust the counter party.
To launch such a loan, a Blockchain startup simply places a loan request on ETHLend’s decentralized application and sends the tokens to the loan smart contract (which will hold the tokens until the loan is repaid). From this point, anyone from any part of the world can fund the loan with ETH.
The team from ETHLend believes that such funding might encourage Blockchain startups to perform an ICO, when otherwise they would lack of funding. Moreover, such funding might decrease the amount of token allocated for sale since the startup has an alternative access to finance. Therefore, leaving more tokens for the development fund to attract new talents.
- Kybernetwork To Close Their ICO Whitelist Early Due To Massive Early Registration - August 20, 2017
- VR Startup DECENTRALAND Closes Token Launch with $25 Million Raise in 10 Seconds - August 19, 2017
- Napoleonx Plans DAFs (Decentralized Autonomous Funds) To Bridge The Gap Between Crypto And Real Assets Active Investing, Unboxing The Crypto World - August 19, 2017
- Lampix Image Mining for Augmented Reality - August 19, 2017
- BlockMason Announces First SEC-Compliant Public American ICO - August 18, 2017
- Tightened EU Regulations Enabling Blockchain Technology in Pharmaceutical Supply Chain - August 18, 2017
- Mark Cuban Portfolio Company Unikrn Seeks to Sell $100 Million in UnikoinGold tokens - August 18, 2017
- Dash To Host Its First Ever Global Conference - August 17, 2017
- LAToken Tokenized Apple Shares to Sell Them for Cryptocurrencies - August 17, 2017
- Sensay, Groundbreaking AI and Chatbot Company Launches Token Sale - August 17, 2017
- ICOBox Token Presale Attracts $8.3 Million - August 17, 2017
- Indorse, the Decentralized Professional Social Network, Receives Additional Backing From Coinsilium After $5.5 million Pre-Sale - August 16, 2017
- Decentraland Partners With imToken, Connext, and Bitcoin Suisse - August 16, 2017
- Ethereum-based Car Towing Aggregator CarTaxi Plans ICO - August 16, 2017
- Ukraine Government to Allow Foreign Investors to Purchase Real Estate Online with Propy - August 16, 2017
- Cofound.it to Launch Weekly Crowdsales through September - August 15, 2017
- Blockstream Satellite: Broadcasting Bitcoin from Space - August 15, 2017
- Dr. Christian Seberino – Houston Texas Blockchain Course Kicks Off Friday August 18, 2017 - August 14, 2017
- Skycoin – Skywire Miner: Hardware for the Next Internet - August 12, 2017
- NSD and Waves kickstart development of Crypto Assets platform - August 12, 2017
- ICONOMI Introduces Columbus Capital As Its First Asset Management Partner - August 12, 2017
- Siberians to Launch ICO for Decentralized Betting eSports Platform - August 12, 2017
- Decentralized News Network Releases Alpha Update - August 12, 2017
- Gibraltar’s Fintech Sector Moves Forward – Awards Xapo E-money license - August 11, 2017
- AMBROSUS Partners with TREK THERAPEUTICS to Develop a Blockchain-powered Method to Track Quality in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing - August 11, 2017
- Outlier Ventures Becomes First VC To Hire ‘Head of Crypto-Economics’ With Appointment of Eden Dhaliwal - August 11, 2017
- Rivetz Raises $5.5 Million in RvT Token Pre-Sale; Public Token Crowdsale Begins Today, Capped at 200,000 ETH - August 10, 2017
- Leading Japanese VCs, Nippon Technology Venture Partners, FISCO Capitals, and ABBALab Inc all to invest in COMSA ICO tokens and XEM - August 10, 2017
- Binded Launches One Click U.S. Copyright Registrations - August 10, 2017
- Illinois Opens Blockchain Development Partnership with Hashed Health - August 9, 2017
- Jaxx and Cofound.it Partner to Give Best New Cryptocurrencies Immediate Liquidity - August 9, 2017
- GoldMint Project Plans to Provide 100 per cent Gold-Backed Stable Assets - August 9, 2017
- Launching a Blockchain Solution to Make Aviation Safer – Aeron.aero - August 9, 2017
- Blackmoon Financial Group Launches Blockchain-Based Platform for Tokenized Investment Funds - August 9, 2017
- SONM Launches Updated Platform With Discovery Algorithm - August 9, 2017
- AirFox Announces ICO to Make Mobile Data More Accessible and Affordable - August 8, 2017
- Golden Fleece Project To Expand Massive Altcoin Mining Ecosystem With Token Sale - August 8, 2017
- Notorious Lobbyist Jack Abramoff to Coach Bitcoin Activists in New Washington, DC-based Reality Docu-series from Blockchain Entertainment and Ignition Creative - August 8, 2017
- ATMChain’s Project In China With 7,000 Intelligent Media Screens ‘Goes Blockchain’ Through DECENT - August 8, 2017
- NEM.io Foundation Partners with Blockchain Global to Expand International Reach - August 8, 2017
- CFTE working with MAS to help ASEAN finance professionals acquire the skills of Finance 2.0 - August 8, 2017
- Rivetz International Partners with LAToken to Boost Marketplace Security on Mobile Devices - August 8, 2017
- investFeed Finishes Successful Token Generation Event - August 8, 2017
- Zen Protocol Unveils Testnet To Decentralize Finance - August 8, 2017
- Blockchain Startup JAAK Announce Official Pilot With Viacom UK - August 7, 2017
- RefToken Releases Blockchain Affiliate Platform Prototype – Announces Token Generation Event - August 5, 2017
- Dash Employs Elite Cybersecurity Service Bugcrowd to ‘Hack’ Its Blockchain - August 5, 2017
- 144,000 Free Spins up for grabs montly in BitStarz’s new Slot Battles! - August 5, 2017
- Stox Token Sale Raises $33 Million in 34 Hours – The Seventh Biggest of 2017 - August 4, 2017
- Swap Announces AIR Token Launch and AIRSWAP, a Decentralized, Peer-to-Peer Trading Platform - August 4, 2017