Pete Rizzo has dug deep with some great research and has written an excellent article at Coindesk on Japan’s Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) who have been discussing the potential impact of blockchain technology on its domestic finance industry.
The article called Japanese Trade Ministry Exploring Blockchain Tech in Study Group can be seen here.
Rizzo got his hands on METI’s latest meeting minutes which reveal there was broad opinion among meeting participants that blockchain technology could “impact the whole financial industry”, stating:
“The impact of blockchain is huge. Its importance is similar to the emergence of Internet and Google.”
The article goes on to note those at the meeting suggested blockchain technology could reduce costs significantly for financial institutions.
Still, the meeting saw METI weigh both sides of the ongoing conversation surrounding the technology, as the potential safety concerns of such systems were also discussed.
“For example, at present concerns in reputation and money laundering remain in bitcoin trading,” the minutes read.
Though a full list of attendees is not available on METI’s website, participants in the group’s inaugural 6th October meeting included representatives from major financial firms that have already voiced interest in the emerging technology.
Read the full meeting minutes below:
- Token Taxonomy Workshop – - January 24, 2020
- Deloitte Bullish on Libra Project in New Report - January 22, 2020
- Busted: SEC Charges Blockchain Marketplace Founder Sergii “Sergey” Grybniak for Fraudulent ICO 2017 - January 22, 2020
- DC Blockchain Advocacy Group US Chamber of Digital Commerce Supports Telegram Vs. SEC Case - January 22, 2020
- BIS Forms New Central Bank Think Tank to Assess National Cryptocurrencies - January 22, 2020
- Bank of England Pondering National Cryptocurrency - January 22, 2020
- Infamous Online Gaming Community Clanbase to Relaunch With Blockchain Technology in 2021 - January 21, 2020
- Chainalysis: 2019 Saw More Cryptocurrency Hacks – Total Amount Stolen From Exchanges Dropped To $283 Million - January 21, 2020
- J. Christopher Giancarlo, former Chairman of the US Commodity Futures Trading Commission - January 21, 2020
- Ethereum Classic Labs Donates $1 Million to UNICEF Innovation Ventures - January 20, 2020
- Busted: SEC and U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of New Jersey Files Lawsuits Against Fraudulent ICO that raised $30 million - January 17, 2020
- Kenya Issues Second ICO Warning After Investors Lose €24+ Million Euro - January 17, 2020
- Neufund Wraps Tokenised Equity Crowdfunding Series B with Greyp Bikes raising €1.4m EUR - January 17, 2020
- U.S. Lawmakers Pondering “Crypto-Currency Act of 2020” - January 17, 2020
- New Blockchain-based Visa Token Service Set To Launch in 2020 – Set to Reach $1 Trillion - January 17, 2020
- Germany’s New Shore Invest Launches STO Ship Financing Platform – Tokenised Fractional Ownership - January 16, 2020
- Open Source Luminary Marc Fleury Enters Crypto Arena with Announcement of New Crypto Asset Class and Continuous Token Offering Sale - January 16, 2020
- UN Warns Public Not To Attend North Korea Blockchain and Cryptocurrency Conference 2020 - January 16, 2020
- Fiat-to-Crypto Gateway Solution, Banxa, Raises $2 Million USD Series A Round Led By NGC Ventures - January 15, 2020
- United Africa Blockchain Association Plans to Fire Up Blockchain Adoption - January 14, 2020