Pete Rizzo has dug deep with some great research and has written an excellent article at Coindesk on Japan’s Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) who have been discussing the potential impact of blockchain technology on its domestic finance industry.
The article called Japanese Trade Ministry Exploring Blockchain Tech in Study Group can be seen here.
Rizzo got his hands on METI’s latest meeting minutes which reveal there was broad opinion among meeting participants that blockchain technology could “impact the whole financial industry”, stating:
“The impact of blockchain is huge. Its importance is similar to the emergence of Internet and Google.”
The article goes on to note those at the meeting suggested blockchain technology could reduce costs significantly for financial institutions.
Still, the meeting saw METI weigh both sides of the ongoing conversation surrounding the technology, as the potential safety concerns of such systems were also discussed.
“For example, at present concerns in reputation and money laundering remain in bitcoin trading,” the minutes read.
Though a full list of attendees is not available on METI’s website, participants in the group’s inaugural 6th October meeting included representatives from major financial firms that have already voiced interest in the emerging technology.
Read the full meeting minutes below:
- Toronto’s Creative Destruction Lab Joins Facebook’s Libra Association - June 19, 2019
- Australia’s Power Ledger to bring P2P Energy Trading to Austria - June 19, 2019
- Litecoin Foundation Teams Up With Bibox And Ternio On Special Edition Litecoin Debitcard - June 19, 2019
- US Legislators Call for Halt to Facebook’s Cryptocurrency Plans – And to Face Congress - June 19, 2019
- Hyperledger Welcomes Diverse Line-up of New Members for Identity Project - June 18, 2019
- Facebook Announces Calibra Digital Wallet and Libra Cryptocurrency - June 18, 2019
- MIT Professor Silvio Micali’s Algorand Project Announces Date for First Auction - June 6, 2019
- SEC sues Canadian Messaging Service Kik Selling Unregistered Securities in its $100 million ICO - June 4, 2019
- CrowdEngine Teams Up With Polymath Adding Security Token Issuance to List of Crowdfunding Services - June 3, 2019
- Bitcoin Inc. CEO Morgan Rockcoon Busted – 21 Months in Prison and Fines - June 3, 2019
- Reshaping a Nation’s Logistics Sector: Singaporean Blockchain Company PLMP Cuts Multimillion Dollar Deal With Indonesia - June 3, 2019
- Swisscom TV Opens Blockchain-based Art Gallery - June 3, 2019
- Canadian Messaging Service Kik Burns $5 Million Fighting SEC Over Utility Tokens, Now Raising $5 Million More to Continue Battle - June 3, 2019
- Salesforce Introduces CRM Blockchain Platform For Selected Clients - June 3, 2019
- Block.one Plans to Tackle Pitfalls of Social Media With New Blockchain Community Called “Voice” - June 3, 2019
- CasperLabs and Ethereum on Proof of Stake Protocol at CryptoChicks in Toronto, family ran Hack-A-Thon for blockchain family - June 3, 2019
- World Economic Forum Inaugurates Global Blockchain Council to Address Lack of Well-Defined Rules for Working with Blockchain - May 29, 2019
- India’s First Blockchain Powered VoD Platform ‘myNK’ Launches At Cannes Film Festival - May 27, 2019
- New Zealand’s Cryptopia Exchange Packs It In – Announces Liquidation - May 15, 2019
- Canadian Blockchain Expert Alex Tapscott and NextBlock Global Limited to Pay $1M for Misleading Investors - May 15, 2019