Written by Stefan Thomas & Evan Schwartz, they have presented a protocol for payments across payment systems that enables secure transfers between ledgers and allows anyone with accounts on two ledgers to create a connection between them. Ledger-provided escrow removes the need to trust these connectors and connections can be composed to enable payments between any ledgers, creating a global graph of liquidity or Interledger.
Unlike previous approaches, this protocol requires no global coordinating system or blockchain. Transfers are escrowed in series from the sender to the recipient and executed using one of two modes. In the Atomic mode, transfers are coordinated using an ad-hoc group of notaries selected by the participants. In the Universal mode, there is no external coordination. Instead, bounded execution windows, participant incentives and a “reverse” execution order enable secure payments between parties without shared trust in any system or institution.
Fran Strajnar Co-Founder & CEO of Brave New Coin (BNC) comments:
Interledger is designed to be a connector between other ledgers, whether they are traditional fiat currencies or crypto currencies. This could turn out to be a very critical piece of technology that directly influences the work being done by R3CEV, Hyperledger and Chain to name a few. It may also influence, and perhaps facilitate, transfers between fiat ledgers (or accounts) and the bitcoin ledger.
Businesses are still having a hard time getting banking relationships, even from the banks that seem to be investing in Blockchain Technology.
What Ripple appears to be doing is very smart. They are setting up their private token system to interact with other ledgers, even those that have yet to be made. By making Interledger a protocol, Ripple may have provided a bridge for many useful applications. In a way they might be levelling the playing field, and if this protocol gets utilized it brings a lot of confidence to the Ripple tokens and the private Blockchain that secures them.
Ripple has been an object of fascination among banks and blue chips almost as long as they have been looking at Bitcoin. Ripple can also claim to have had a regulatory encounter, let’s call it, and has now emerged stronger, arguably setting a standard for compliance conscious financials.
Recently, one of Deloitte’s big competitors KPMG revealed it was hiring anybody that had experience of deploying Ripple at banks.
Spoke said: “What I am noticing more and more as I get closer to this space – is it going to be one protocol that wins the day at the end of all this?
“Nobody knows the answer to this, but there could be room in different contexts for different technologies and different versions of this. Ripple could be very meaningful in a certain context.”
To see whitepaper in full click here.
- Token Taxonomy Workshop – - January 24, 2020
- Deloitte Bullish on Libra Project in New Report - January 22, 2020
- Busted: SEC Charges Blockchain Marketplace Founder Sergii “Sergey” Grybniak for Fraudulent ICO 2017 - January 22, 2020
- DC Blockchain Advocacy Group US Chamber of Digital Commerce Supports Telegram Vs. SEC Case - January 22, 2020
- BIS Forms New Central Bank Think Tank to Assess National Cryptocurrencies - January 22, 2020
- Bank of England Pondering National Cryptocurrency - January 22, 2020
- Infamous Online Gaming Community Clanbase to Relaunch With Blockchain Technology in 2021 - January 21, 2020
- Chainalysis: 2019 Saw More Cryptocurrency Hacks – Total Amount Stolen From Exchanges Dropped To $283 Million - January 21, 2020
- J. Christopher Giancarlo, former Chairman of the US Commodity Futures Trading Commission - January 21, 2020
- Ethereum Classic Labs Donates $1 Million to UNICEF Innovation Ventures - January 20, 2020
- Busted: SEC and U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of New Jersey Files Lawsuits Against Fraudulent ICO that raised $30 million - January 17, 2020
- Kenya Issues Second ICO Warning After Investors Lose €24+ Million Euro - January 17, 2020
- Neufund Wraps Tokenised Equity Crowdfunding Series B with Greyp Bikes raising €1.4m EUR - January 17, 2020
- U.S. Lawmakers Pondering “Crypto-Currency Act of 2020” - January 17, 2020
- New Blockchain-based Visa Token Service Set To Launch in 2020 – Set to Reach $1 Trillion - January 17, 2020
- Germany’s New Shore Invest Launches STO Ship Financing Platform – Tokenised Fractional Ownership - January 16, 2020
- Open Source Luminary Marc Fleury Enters Crypto Arena with Announcement of New Crypto Asset Class and Continuous Token Offering Sale - January 16, 2020
- UN Warns Public Not To Attend North Korea Blockchain and Cryptocurrency Conference 2020 - January 16, 2020
- Fiat-to-Crypto Gateway Solution, Banxa, Raises $2 Million USD Series A Round Led By NGC Ventures - January 15, 2020
- United Africa Blockchain Association Plans to Fire Up Blockchain Adoption - January 14, 2020