According to a recent mail to clients, Chain’s Bitcoin API service will be sunsetting on December 31, 2015.
“As most of you know, over the last year Chain’s focus has shifted to enabling financial institutions to issue and manage digital assets on blockchain networks. As we move into 2016, we will be folding our bitcoin capabilities into this enterprise platform. We will no longer support free projects on the bitcoin network.”
token_dave from Reddit notes:
“Friends of Chain, We’re going to start charging banks for the same thing we were giving away for free. Because it’s blockchain tech.”
IMO very unprofessional to shutdown the service on such a short notice. People who build apps on top of chain now need to spend their December porting their code to an alternative instead of spending time with their family or working on the other things that were actually on their roadmap.
I’m not effected, but at least now I know I wouldn’t use any service of that company for the future.
etherscan wrapped up general feeling with:
The timing of the shutdown could have been better. Spending Xmas and the holidays porting over would not be fun.
Having whined a bit, the fact is Chain is willing and ready to give a hand:
Our first priority is ensuring your applications continue running uninterrupted. If you would like technical assistance to migrate your bitcoin app to another vendor’s free or low-cost bitcoin API service, our CTO is available to support you and ensure your application has a seamless transition. We have helped many projects do this already.
- Wanxiang Blockchain and PlatON Launch Consortium Blockchain Infrastructure in China - October 7, 2019
- PayPal Quits Facebook Cryptocurrency Project Libra - October 7, 2019
- Walmart To Use Blockchain For Shrimp - October 7, 2019
- Channel Tools adds Blockchain-Driven Verification Service Evident Proof To It’s Kit - October 7, 2019
- Zuckerberg Under Intense Pressure to Testify to US Congress about Libra - October 4, 2019
- Report: Canadian Blockchain Industry Has Some of The Highest Paid Workers in the Country - October 4, 2019
- Bavarian Company RISE Wealth Technologies with Houston-based Entoro, Launching Largest European STO to Date at USD$120 million - October 4, 2019
- October Launch Confirmation for Telegram Open Network (TON) - October 4, 2019
- Liechtenstein Parliament Passes Blockchain Act - October 4, 2019
- Pioneer of Blockchain Certification For The Visual Arts Verisart, Raises $2.5 million in Series Seed Funding - October 4, 2019
- Uruguayan Digital Party to Embrace Æternity Blockchain Technology For Member Voting - October 3, 2019
- Decentralized Trading Technology Startup Vega Raises $5 Million Seed – Pantera Capital Leads Oversubscribed Round - October 3, 2019
- Malta-Based OKEx Kicks Off Global Compliance Standards Initiative for Cryptocurrency Exchanges - October 3, 2019
- Dama Financial and Helix TCS Establish First Blockchain-Fueled, Complaint Cannabis Marketplace - October 3, 2019
- New Digital Rights Law Enacted in Russia – Establishes Basic Definition Of Tokens And Governs Smart Contracts - October 2, 2019
- Six major Japanese Brokerage Firms Establish Japan Security Token Offering Association - October 2, 2019
- Vancouver’s BIGG Digital Assets Cuts Deal with US Federal Government Agency - October 2, 2019
- æternity Teams Up with Uruguay Can to Track Cannabis Production on the Blockchain - October 2, 2019
- Streamr Launches Global Pub/Sub Network For Machine Data - October 2, 2019
- SEC Orders Blockone to Pay $24 Million Fine for Unregistered ICO - October 2, 2019