According to a recent mail to clients, Chain’s Bitcoin API service will be sunsetting on December 31, 2015.
“As most of you know, over the last year Chain’s focus has shifted to enabling financial institutions to issue and manage digital assets on blockchain networks. As we move into 2016, we will be folding our bitcoin capabilities into this enterprise platform. We will no longer support free projects on the bitcoin network.”
token_dave from Reddit notes:
“Friends of Chain, We’re going to start charging banks for the same thing we were giving away for free. Because it’s blockchain tech.”
IMO very unprofessional to shutdown the service on such a short notice. People who build apps on top of chain now need to spend their December porting their code to an alternative instead of spending time with their family or working on the other things that were actually on their roadmap.
I’m not effected, but at least now I know I wouldn’t use any service of that company for the future.
etherscan wrapped up general feeling with:
The timing of the shutdown could have been better. Spending Xmas and the holidays porting over would not be fun.
Having whined a bit, the fact is Chain is willing and ready to give a hand:
Our first priority is ensuring your applications continue running uninterrupted. If you would like technical assistance to migrate your bitcoin app to another vendor’s free or low-cost bitcoin API service, our CTO is available to support you and ensure your application has a seamless transition. We have helped many projects do this already.
- New Satoshi on the Block Plans a ‘Reveal’ – Bitcoin Community Responds - August 19, 2019
- Binance Announces Open Blockchain Project ‘Venus’ – Calls on Governments, Companies and Organizations to Develop Localized Stablecoins - August 19, 2019
- Blockchain-Fueled VeganNation raises $10 million for Vegan Global Marketplace - August 19, 2019
- Fight to Flame – Mike Tyson Denies Issuing Token and Working With Fight2Fame - August 17, 2019
- Bitcoin Wealth is Almost 50 Times More Concentrated than Global Wealth According to PARSIQ Research - August 16, 2019
- Graph Blockchain Signs LOI to Acquire Cyberanking Ltd. an Esports Company - August 16, 2019
- Blockchain Moves Into The US’s Largest Oil Fields With Data Gumbo - August 16, 2019
- BlockStar Teams Up With Cycling Apparel Brand De Marchi to Auction Fausto Coppi’s Cycling Jersey - August 16, 2019
- Zcoin Available to Five Million Merchants in Thailand - August 16, 2019
- Republic Partners with Althea to Launch First-Ever Compliant Security Airdrop for Retail Investors in the U.S. and Abroad - August 14, 2019
- Mark Cuban’s Dallas Mavericks Basketball Team Join Up With Bitpay To Accept Bitcoin For Tickets And Gear - August 14, 2019
- Mike Tyson Launches Fight to Fame – Crypto-Driven, Blockchain-Fueled Fighter Booster - August 14, 2019
- Blox Survey: Ninety-Five Percent of US CPAs Believe Clients are Not Disclosing All their Digital Assets and Transactions - August 13, 2019
- New Zealand Allows for Employee Payments to be Made in Cryptocurrency - August 13, 2019
- USA SEC Postpones Decision on Three Bitcoin ETFs - August 13, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Thefts, Scams and Fraud May Exceed $4.3 Billion For 2019 - August 12, 2019
- China’s Central Bank Gears Up to Launch it’s Own Cryptocurrency - August 12, 2019
- Overstock: Retail Traders Can Now Invest in STOs at tZERO - August 9, 2019
- Merj Rolls Out The First-ever Official Listing Of A Tokenized Security On A Regulated National Stock Exchange - August 9, 2019
- Commerzbank And Daimler Trucks Test Machine-to-machine Payments On Blockchain - August 9, 2019