CNN Contributor, international relations expert and best-selling author, Parag Khanna recently penned a provocative and controversial piece on global terrorism and emerging need to think about a global passport driven on Blockchain technology. He even goes so far as to mention Bitnation.
He noted that anti-immigrant European politicians are using the Paris terrorist attacks as an excuse to restrict the current refugee inflow – while the fact remains – stemming the flow of migrants won’t diminish the pool of home-grown radicals and since many are Caucasian or African, they don’t fit the stereotypes long used by customs and border agents who have focused on screening Arabs and Pakistanis.
“The bottom line is that anyone can be ISIS. We therefore need an approach to securing civilized societies that doesn’t allow individuals to hide behind the cloak of Western passports. The time has come for a “global passport,” a parallel digital certification of a person’s identity, background, criminal record, travel history, and other details.
“The digital record would be regularly updated based on databases from airlines, customs agencies, banks and other sources, and could be managed by an independent international authority such as Interpol, or a network system resembling SWIFT or IATA. This could be the ultimate calling for start-ups such as BitNation, which has already begun issuing virtual IDs – effectively digital passports – using blockchain technology.”
“We have an opportunity to solve an even deeper problem: The prison of nationality on the majority of the world population that does not have the luxury of visa-free travel around the world. By divorcing mobility from nationality, we accord people the right to travel based on their individual merit rather than locked-in biases their countries face for being poor or at war.”
What do you think? Libertarians and anarchists will likely reach for their pitchforks. Ultimately who will issue them and control the information on the passports (or chips) is what really matters.
- MIT Professor Silvio Micali’s Algorand Project Announces Date for First Auction - June 6, 2019
- SEC sues Canadian Messaging Service Kik Selling Unregistered Securities in its $100 million ICO - June 4, 2019
- CrowdEngine Teams Up With Polymath Adding Security Token Issuance to List of Crowdfunding Services - June 3, 2019
- Bitcoin Inc. CEO Morgan Rockcoon Busted – 21 Months in Prison and Fines - June 3, 2019
- Reshaping a Nation’s Logistics Sector: Singaporean Blockchain Company PLMP Cuts Multimillion Dollar Deal With Indonesia - June 3, 2019
- Swisscom TV Opens Blockchain-based Art Gallery - June 3, 2019
- Canadian Messaging Service Kik Burns $5 Million Fighting SEC Over Utility Tokens, Now Raising $5 Million More to Continue Battle - June 3, 2019
- Salesforce Introduces CRM Blockchain Platform For Selected Clients - June 3, 2019
- Block.one Plans to Tackle Pitfalls of Social Media With New Blockchain Community Called “Voice” - June 3, 2019
- CasperLabs and Ethereum on Proof of Stake Protocol at CryptoChicks in Toronto, family ran Hack-A-Thon for blockchain family - June 3, 2019
- World Economic Forum Inaugurates Global Blockchain Council to Address Lack of Well-Defined Rules for Working with Blockchain - May 29, 2019
- India’s First Blockchain Powered VoD Platform ‘myNK’ Launches At Cannes Film Festival - May 27, 2019
- New Zealand’s Cryptopia Exchange Packs It In – Announces Liquidation - May 15, 2019
- Canadian Blockchain Expert Alex Tapscott and NextBlock Global Limited to Pay $1M for Misleading Investors - May 15, 2019
- ObEN Launches AI Newscaster With 3D “Satoshi” Avatar to Deliver Content via PAI News App - May 14, 2019
- Leading Freelance Platform Moonlighting Announces First Blockchain Integration Partner – Teams with HireVibes For EOSIO Solution - May 14, 2019
- Polish-UK Blockchain Company Billon awarded €2 million euro from EU to build DLT Document System - May 14, 2019
- City of Belfast and Colu Team up to Create City Loyalty Token to Boost Local Economy and Environment - May 8, 2019
- Fidelity Investments – to Launch Cryptocurrency Trading Desk Soon – Recent Report Shows Clients Want To Trade Digital Assets - May 8, 2019
- Consensys Accelerates Blockchain Investment Portfolio, Consolidates Investment Arms - May 8, 2019