David Slater, Director of International trade and investment at London & Partners, wrote at CityAM in London last week that London’s fintech sector attracted almost a quarter of all investment into London tech businesses last year – and there are no signs of this slowing in 2016.
Investors have already shown a strong appetite for platforms like peer-to-peer lending and crowdfunding, but
in 2016 the focus will shift towards blockchain.
Last year was a breakthrough year for blockchain. In the space of 12 months, we saw the world’s leading banks put their weight behind the technology, Nasdaq announce plans to open a blockchain platform, and the Australian stock exchange come out publicly saying it is “seriously considering” replacing its current clearing and settlement system with blockchain technology.
The blockchain platform has huge potential to revolutionise the way we exchange goods and services. It is an enabling technology. Take the music industry. A number of high profile artists, including Imogen Heap, recently put forward a strong case for using blockchain to empower musicians, by allowing them to have greater control over contracts and the way users interact with data.
As more commercially viable uses for blockchain emerge, we will see considerably more investment in blockchain startups in 2016.
Slater adds that these conditions create a perfect storm for investors – opportunity and return – and 2016 will be another record-breaking year for investment into London’s tech sector.
- CEO Patrick M. Byrne Resigns From Overstock Over ‘Deep State’ Comment and Affair with a Russian Spy – Stock Rises - August 22, 2019
- Telx Technologies Launches World’s First Cryptocurrency Sim Card Wallet And Phone Number - August 22, 2019
- Chainalysis Launches Real-Time Alerts for Suspicious Transactions For 15 Cryptocurrencies - August 22, 2019
- Factom Launches New Stablecoin called PegNet Stablecoin - August 22, 2019
- HitBTC Cryptocurrency Exchange Offers Massive Rate Cuts - August 22, 2019
- American Classic Beer Miller Lite Teams Up with Blockchain Vatom Labs to Create New Customer Experiences - August 21, 2019
- WordProof and WORBLI Partner To Bring Online Content Transparency Using Blockchain Technology - August 21, 2019
- Polkadot Cuts Deal with Blockchain – 41M Wallets to get Polkadot.Network DOTS - August 20, 2019
- David Chaum’s New Quantum-Resistant Digital Currency, Praxxis, Has Arrived - August 20, 2019
- New Satoshi on the Block Plans a ‘Reveal’ – Bitcoin Community Responds - August 19, 2019
- Binance Announces Open Blockchain Project ‘Venus’ – Calls on Governments, Companies and Organizations to Develop Localized Stablecoins - August 19, 2019
- Blockchain-Fueled VeganNation raises $10 million for Vegan Global Marketplace - August 19, 2019
- Fight to Flame – Mike Tyson Denies Issuing Token and Working With Fight2Fame - August 17, 2019
- Bitcoin Wealth is Almost 50 Times More Concentrated than Global Wealth According to PARSIQ Research - August 16, 2019
- Graph Blockchain Signs LOI to Acquire Cyberanking Ltd. an Esports Company - August 16, 2019
- Blockchain Moves Into The US’s Largest Oil Fields With Data Gumbo - August 16, 2019
- BlockStar Teams Up With Cycling Apparel Brand De Marchi to Auction Fausto Coppi’s Cycling Jersey - August 16, 2019
- Zcoin Available to Five Million Merchants in Thailand - August 16, 2019
- Republic Partners with Althea to Launch First-Ever Compliant Security Airdrop for Retail Investors in the U.S. and Abroad - August 14, 2019
- Mark Cuban’s Dallas Mavericks Basketball Team Join Up With Bitpay To Accept Bitcoin For Tickets And Gear - August 14, 2019