Venture capital firm Blockchain Capital (www.blockchain.capital) today announced the final closing of its second fund with over $13 million in committed capital surpassing its fundraising target of $10 million. With commitments totaling over $15 million since the firm’s inception in 2013, Blockchain Capital is an industry pioneer and leader in financing Blockchain technology companies and the Bitcoin ecosystem.
Blockchain Capital’s initial fund with 30 portfolio companies was the first venture fund dedicated to investing in the sector. The first fund also pioneered accepting capital calls in bitcoin and funding portfolio companies in bitcoin. Blockchain Capital has been investing out of the second fund throughout 2015 and has already invested in 23 Blockchain technology companies.
“We are excited to announce the closing of our second fund so that we can continue to support world-class entrepreneurs who are leveraging Blockchain technology to disrupt legacy industries and create new products and services around the globe,” said Co-Founder and Managing Partner Brad Stephens.
Blockchain Capital also announced that its successful Blockchain Capital AngelList syndicate has partnered with Gil Penchina’s Flight.vc to form the Blockchain Capital @ Flight.vc syndicate. This combined syndicate is now the largest and most active syndicate focused on Blockchain and Bitcoin start up investment opportunities. The Blockchain Capital @ Flight.vc has cumulatively invested in 7 companies raising over $2 million dollars to help entrepreneurs grow their businesses.
“Equity crowdfunding is a disruptive innovation in financial services that democratizes and decentralizes venture capital. As an early adopter of platforms like AngelList, we are thrilled to combine forces with Gil Penchina who is the leading investor on AngelList,” said Co-Founder and Managing Partner Brock Pierce.
“The pace of innovation we are seeing in Fintech, in general, and Blockchain technology in particular, is staggering. We are profoundly grateful for the support from our limited partners who are CEOs, family offices, technology executives, hedge fund managers, entrepreneurs and other venture capitalists. Sophisticated investors appreciate that this industry is complex and moving quickly, that specialization is important. They value our focus, deal flow, expertise and unparalleled network of advisors,” said Bart Stephens, Co-Founder and Managing Partner.
In conjunction with the closing of the fund and launch of the expanded AngelList syndicate, Blockchain Capital announced the appointment of Advisory Board members representing expertise in technology, financial services, entrepreneurship, legal services and regulatory issues:
- Alison Davis (Chairman) — Former CFO of Barclays Global Investors; Director Royal Bank of Scotland; Director Fiserv; Director Diamond Foods; (fmr) Director Xoom and First Data Corp.
- Terry Schwakopf — Senior Advisor at Deloitte; (fmr) EVP Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, banking supervision
- John Wolpert — Global Blockchain Offering Director, IBM
- Bobby Lee — CEO, BTCC; Director Bitcoin Foundation
- Mary Cranston — Director, Visa; (fmr) Chairman & CEO Pillsbury Winthrop
- Simon McNamara — CAO, Royal Bank of Scotland
- Niccolo De Masi — CEO, Glu Mobile
- Michael McAdam — CFO, Union Bank (Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group)
- Vinny Lingham — CEO, Gyft (acquired by First Data)
- Charlie Lee — Founder, Litecoin; Director of Engineering, Coinbase
- Chris Pallotta — Partner, Raptor Capital; Advisor, MIT Media Lab
- Will O’Brien — Co-Founder, BitGo
- Matt Ocko — Partner, Data Collective
- Government Committee Wants Total Ban on Cryptocurrencies in India - July 23, 2019
- Judge Refuses to Dismiss Historic $224 Million SIM Swap Lawsuit by Crypto Luminary Michael Terpin Against Telco Giant AT&T Mobility - July 23, 2019
- RENBDO: First ICO Approved by European Commission – 70 Percent Funding From EU - July 22, 2019
- Chinese Government Blockchain Standardized Certification Received by Lenovo, Alipay, and Aelf - July 22, 2019
- KPMG Teams Up With Tomia, Microsoft And R3 To Create A Near Real-time Settlement Network For Telecom Companies - July 22, 2019
- Blockchain-Based ‘Lunar Registry’ Launched - July 22, 2019
- Daimler launches hardware Car Wallet with RIDDLE&CODE - July 22, 2019
- Ugandan President to Explore use of Blockchain to Tackle Counterfeit Drugs - July 22, 2019
- Blockchain-Based Travala.com Teams Up with Dash For Hotel Booking Payments - July 18, 2019
- SEC And FINRA Approves First Reg A+ Token Offerings - July 18, 2019
- Tokinex Tolken Sale Sells out in 35 Seconds - July 18, 2019
- 18 Organisations Launch The Convergence Alliance To Enable A New Open Data Economy Built On The Decentralized Web - July 9, 2019
- Bittrex Acquires Tradedash - July 3, 2019
- Korea’s Cube Systems Rolls Out New Blockchain eCommerce Platform - July 3, 2019
- Clinlogix Joins ALTEN Calsoft in Launching Blockchain for Clinical Trials - July 3, 2019
- Binance Charity forms alliance with 46 companies to unveil a stablecoin for the alleviation of period poverty - July 3, 2019
- Nestlé Breaks from IBM Food Trust Blockchain Group for New Milk Supply Chain Trial - July 3, 2019
- Tokeny Solutions Digital Asset Platform Gets €5 Million Backing from Euronext - July 3, 2019
- Blockchain Venture Capital Funding Reaches $822 Million in 2019 - July 1, 2019
- Toronto’s Creative Destruction Lab Joins Facebook’s Libra Association - June 19, 2019