Fred Lutz, chief operating officer at Custos, said that the process basically involves embedding an invisible and difficult-to-remove watermark into the digital content, the watermark in this case being a Bitcoin private key. If the watermarked content is then leaked there is a small Bitcoin reward that can be collected by the first person to find it.
“The code that we embed throughout the movie is a Bitcoin private key, and we top-up the associated account with some bitcoins,” Lutz said. “We have a tool available publicly at PRIVATEER.XYZ with which anyone can read the watermark and extract the bitcoins. This means that a movie or ebook that goes out of the control of the intended recipient now has some vulnerability ‒ if it lands in the wild, the bitcoins will be extracted and we are notified through the blockchain that the funds were moved. We notify our clients of the identity of the customer that is associated with the private key and they can respond accordingly.”
Custos recently announced a second round seed investment of just under US$ 265 000. The new shareholders are a South African private investor, and Digital Currency Group (DCG). Based in New York City, DCG has been an active seed investor in the digital currency industry with 60 investments in 20 countries.
Van Rooyen, CEO of Custos mentioned that the capital will allow the company to reach high-risk media producers – for whom piracy can literally cut tens of millions of dollars from their production budget when a title is leaked. Custos is also testing a solution for protecting ebooks.
“We’re thrilled to partner with investors who can really take an active role in helping us reach our target market”, Van Rooyen said.
This latest funding round follows a US$ 140 000 initial investment last year by Innovus, the Technology Transfer Office of Stellenbosch University, where the initial concept was developed.
- Genetics Prof. David Haymer Joins DNAtix Advisory Board - November 12, 2018
- Libra Announces Commitment to Support Circle Trade’s Financial Reporting Requirements - November 10, 2018
- Evident Proof, Leading Blockchain Immutable Proof Platform Accept Dash & XRP As Business Adoption Soars - November 10, 2018
- Ethereum Now On Hyperledger Fabric - October 28, 2018
- 8000+ Expected – Blockchain Expo North America Exhibition Announces Expert Speakers - October 26, 2018
- Enjin Smart Wallet Update Will Allow Users To Melt & Send ERC-1155 Tokens - October 26, 2018
- Crypto-Friendly Gallery HOFA Launches in Los Angeles With Qvantum Exhibition - October 26, 2018
- Blockchain Company WePower Announces Plans to Tokenize Estonian Power Grid - October 25, 2018
- Overstock’s Medici Ventures, Buys into Crypto Social Network, Minds - October 24, 2018
- Xfinite to release new Blockchain content platform - October 24, 2018
- Omnitude set to transform enterprise business with the move of its ECOM token to Stellar and the introduction of micropayments to users - October 24, 2018
- Nem, Proximax, And Pundi X Join Growing List Of Sportsfix Sponsor Partners - October 23, 2018
- NEM Foundation’s Founder Lon Wong Becomes SportsFix Chief Technology Advisor - October 10, 2018
- Medici Ventures Backs Wine Blockchain Project VinX - October 4, 2018
- Lithuanian Members of European Parliament Say Blockchain is Here to Stay – Hands Off Regulation! - October 4, 2018
- New Open Source Blockchain Project To Challenge Experian And Equifax - October 2, 2018
- IOHK Launches Cardano Rust Project - October 2, 2018
- Hyperledger and Enterprise Ethereum Alliance Cut Deal to Advance the Global Blockchain Business Ecosystem - October 2, 2018
- Binance Labs Supports Decentralized Global Content Ecosystem Contentos - October 2, 2018
- Nexus Partners with Jeff Garzik’s SpaceChain – Planning Spacenet - September 27, 2018