Mihai Alisie, who created Bitcoin Magazine alongside with Vitalik Buterin and was also on the founding team of Ethereum, has announced the launch of a new social network at Ashaka – powered by Ethereum world computer and the Inter-Planetary File System.
In a recent blog post at the site, Alisie elaborates more:
We began developing the AKASHA prototype back in 2015 using Meteor and it was quite an interesting (and at times frustrating) journey; there are no “right” or “wrong” ways of doing things since we are navigating in deep uncharted territories.
This is how, by the end of 2015, we started to understand that Meteor is great for many things but not for what we needed, especially as it started to undergo fundamental architectural changes. It was almost like trying to build a card castle on top of moving sands.
However, the prototyping stage offered us invaluable insights into what to do and what not to do in some regards while also giving us a general idea on how we should approach the development of the “real” application.
After a few weeks of intense research we found a satisfying stack for building a minimum viable product (MVP). Besides Ethereum and IPFS, our tech stack is composed of Electron, React with Redux and Node.js.
Along the way we also began to better understand the possibilities opened by AKASHA. More than a social media platform, we’re basically building the social fabric for the nascent etherweb.
It is very challenging to stay focused when so many “shiny things” tend to mesmerize your mind but we took a decision to start with blogging as the building block for what’s to follow.
And so we began working on a decentralized social blogging network as our MVP, with the goal of creating in the process a product that will empower people from around the world with unfettered freedom of expression.
This is where we make our stand.
We can do things better now, and we will.
We have to.
Humanity needs a better home of Mind.
They are now approaching the alpha stage and they need users and developers to participate in the release.
It is our hope that years from now, we will look back at today — May 3rd, 2016 — as the day on which the idea that freedom of expression can be a default standard on the web took root on the Internet.
We deserve a better web, and we now have the tools to create it.
Step by step, service by service, and application by application we can build something truly world-changing.
It will not be easy, but we can do it, together.
Read the blog post in full here.
- Factom Launches New Stablecoin called PegNet Stablecoin - August 22, 2019
- HitBTC Cryptocurrency Exchange Offers Massive Rate Cuts - August 22, 2019
- American Classic Beer Miller Lite Teams Up with Blockchain Vatom Labs to Create New Customer Experiences - August 21, 2019
- WordProof and WORBLI Partner To Bring Online Content Transparency Using Blockchain Technology - August 21, 2019
- Polkadot Cuts Deal with Blockchain – 41M Wallets to get Polkadot.Network DOTS - August 20, 2019
- David Chaum’s New Quantum-Resistant Digital Currency, Praxxis, Has Arrived - August 20, 2019
- New Satoshi on the Block Plans a ‘Reveal’ – Bitcoin Community Responds - August 19, 2019
- Binance Announces Open Blockchain Project ‘Venus’ – Calls on Governments, Companies and Organizations to Develop Localized Stablecoins - August 19, 2019
- Blockchain-Fueled VeganNation raises $10 million for Vegan Global Marketplace - August 19, 2019
- Fight to Flame – Mike Tyson Denies Issuing Token and Working With Fight2Fame - August 17, 2019
- Bitcoin Wealth is Almost 50 Times More Concentrated than Global Wealth According to PARSIQ Research - August 16, 2019
- Graph Blockchain Signs LOI to Acquire Cyberanking Ltd. an Esports Company - August 16, 2019
- Blockchain Moves Into The US’s Largest Oil Fields With Data Gumbo - August 16, 2019
- BlockStar Teams Up With Cycling Apparel Brand De Marchi to Auction Fausto Coppi’s Cycling Jersey - August 16, 2019
- Zcoin Available to Five Million Merchants in Thailand - August 16, 2019
- Republic Partners with Althea to Launch First-Ever Compliant Security Airdrop for Retail Investors in the U.S. and Abroad - August 14, 2019
- Mark Cuban’s Dallas Mavericks Basketball Team Join Up With Bitpay To Accept Bitcoin For Tickets And Gear - August 14, 2019
- Mike Tyson Launches Fight to Fame – Crypto-Driven, Blockchain-Fueled Fighter Booster - August 14, 2019
- Blox Survey: Ninety-Five Percent of US CPAs Believe Clients are Not Disclosing All their Digital Assets and Transactions - August 13, 2019
- New Zealand Allows for Employee Payments to be Made in Cryptocurrency - August 13, 2019