Deloitte Luxembourg has recently presented a ‘Proof of Concept’ for a Blockchain-fueled alternative to the paper trail that normally proves the provenance and movements of a piece of artwork. The firm’s Blockchain development team revealed the application during the ICT Spring summit in Luxembourg recently.
The Deloitte ArtTracktive proof of concept provides a distributed ledger for tracking the provenance and whereabouts of fine artworks. The Blockchain-based application manages the interactions between all parties involved, from the artist or the owner of the piece of art, via freight forwarders, customs, art galleries, museums and all the way to potential buyers.
“The Blockchain distributed ledger can trace the journey of artworks. When this technology is used in the art market, all events in the life cycle of an artwork are recorded and traceable. The application addresses one of the main concerns in the art market today, namely the fragile documentation related to the provenance and movements of a piece of art,” explains Patrick Laurent, Partner and Technology Leader at Deloitte Luxembourg.
Paper-based art transactions
According to the TEFAF 2016 Art Market Report, last year US$63.8 billion-worth of art was sold globally and the number of art transactions in the world reached 38.1 million.
Due to the paper-based nature of art transactions, there are numerous provenance and traceability issues related to artworks. The players of the art market still rely on paper certificates and receipts which can easily be lost, tampered with or stolen—and history has shown that fraudulent certificates of authenticity are not uncommon.
As a response to these challenges, Deloitte Luxembourg’s proof of concept demonstrate how Blockchain technology can solve the current provenance and traceability issues in the art world by storing the full history of an artwork in a secure environment available to all.
“This example shows that Blockchain technology can transform sectors far beyond financial services. The model on which we based ArtTracktive is resilient and scalable and can be adapted to meet other business needs in other sectors,” comments Thibault Chollet, Director and Blockchain Leader at Deloitte Luxembourg.
- CEO Patrick M. Byrne Resigns From Overstock Over ‘Deep State’ Comment and Affair with a Russian Spy – Stock Rises - August 22, 2019
- Telx Technologies Launches World’s First Cryptocurrency Sim Card Wallet And Phone Number - August 22, 2019
- Chainalysis Launches Real-Time Alerts for Suspicious Transactions For 15 Cryptocurrencies - August 22, 2019
- Factom Launches New Stablecoin called PegNet Stablecoin - August 22, 2019
- HitBTC Cryptocurrency Exchange Offers Massive Rate Cuts - August 22, 2019
- American Classic Beer Miller Lite Teams Up with Blockchain Vatom Labs to Create New Customer Experiences - August 21, 2019
- WordProof and WORBLI Partner To Bring Online Content Transparency Using Blockchain Technology - August 21, 2019
- Polkadot Cuts Deal with Blockchain – 41M Wallets to get Polkadot.Network DOTS - August 20, 2019
- David Chaum’s New Quantum-Resistant Digital Currency, Praxxis, Has Arrived - August 20, 2019
- New Satoshi on the Block Plans a ‘Reveal’ – Bitcoin Community Responds - August 19, 2019
- Binance Announces Open Blockchain Project ‘Venus’ – Calls on Governments, Companies and Organizations to Develop Localized Stablecoins - August 19, 2019
- Blockchain-Fueled VeganNation raises $10 million for Vegan Global Marketplace - August 19, 2019
- Fight to Flame – Mike Tyson Denies Issuing Token and Working With Fight2Fame - August 17, 2019
- Bitcoin Wealth is Almost 50 Times More Concentrated than Global Wealth According to PARSIQ Research - August 16, 2019
- Graph Blockchain Signs LOI to Acquire Cyberanking Ltd. an Esports Company - August 16, 2019
- Blockchain Moves Into The US’s Largest Oil Fields With Data Gumbo - August 16, 2019
- BlockStar Teams Up With Cycling Apparel Brand De Marchi to Auction Fausto Coppi’s Cycling Jersey - August 16, 2019
- Zcoin Available to Five Million Merchants in Thailand - August 16, 2019
- Republic Partners with Althea to Launch First-Ever Compliant Security Airdrop for Retail Investors in the U.S. and Abroad - August 14, 2019
- Mark Cuban’s Dallas Mavericks Basketball Team Join Up With Bitpay To Accept Bitcoin For Tickets And Gear - August 14, 2019