Steemit, the decentralized social media platform where users get paid to post and vote, and it’s, has exploded in popularity in its first month with a 1600% increase in community size since launch. Thus far, the online Steemit community (Reddit-like website) has doubled in membership every week, and the cryptocurrency its users are rewarded in, Steem, has increased its market cap of $7 million to $17 million USD.
CEO Ned Scott said he is blown away by how quickly the Steemit platform is changing the online experience.
“We have worked so hard to perfect Steemit and give anyone an opportunity to make money by creating and curating good content. Based on reactions from experts and testing from our consumers, we knew that the reception would be strong, but Steemit is so much further along than where we thought it would be. In about a month, the market cap of Steem has increased two and a half times, page sessions have jumped by nearly six times, and the Steemit Blockchain is now seeing twelve transfers, posts or votes every minute on average. These are phenomenal numbers and we are excited that our growing community is engaging in a fun and potentially lucrative social medium.”
Steemit is powered by an open source Blockchain called Steem, and its users are rewarded when they submit their blog posts or vote on articles, images and commentary that become popular. Users are paid half in “Steem Power,” a token that supercharges voting power, and half with Steem Dollars, a token worth about one USD. Currently, there are over 100 posts valued at $2000 worth of Steem, and the top 20 posts have an average payout of a combined $8,500 for posters and voters.
“Due to the increased number of entrepreneurs building social media apps integrating with Steemit and the Steem Blockchain, we are proud to announce that we are open-sourcing the code for the Steemit web wallet and social media interface. We are seeing incredible demand from early adopters and innovators bridging the technology to other social platforms such as Reddit, Twitter and Wordpress. Having our technology freely available will empower entrepreneurs to extend upon the Steem Blockchain and further revolutionize how social media can reward users and creators,” Scott added.
Since Steemit’s launch, its most popular topics include politics, technology and cryptocurrency, as well as ‘introduceyourself’, news, art and comedy.
Across the entire site, there has been a ten-fold increase in posts per day, as well as a ten-fold increase in votes per day. Due to popular demand, Steemit has integrated with a cryptocurrency exchange, BlockTrades, to allow users to purchase Steem Power with Bitcoin directly from their online account.
“The Steem Blockchain will be rewarding all Steemit users for their contributions on July 4, distributing 10% of its total token supply,” Scott said.
To sign up or learn more about Steemit, visit Steemit.com
- Smartlands to Digitise Own Equity; Unveils Plans For Security Token Offering in the US - December 9, 2019
- ShareRing Partners with Thailand’s new E-Visa System: Mainstream Blockchain Adoption - December 9, 2019
- ELEV8CON adds BBVA, Bumble Bee Foods, State Street, Ticketmaster to Lineup for Enterprise Blockchain and Digital Asset Conference - December 9, 2019
- Mintdice – Playing it Fair with Blockchain - December 9, 2019
- Juventus Become The First Football Club In The World To Be Tokenized - December 3, 2019
- London’s Travala.com Teams Up With Amsterdam’s Booking.com In Massive Crypto Travel Deal - November 28, 2019
- High-Powered Group of Legal Experts Determine Cryptoassets and Smart Contracts Legal Under UK Law - November 21, 2019
- Hyperledger Adds Eight New Members – Rolls out Updates - November 21, 2019
- Failed ICO, Token Sale Project SNIPs Acquired by Sonos for $37.5 Million - November 21, 2019
- Algorand Launches Protocol Upgrade, Setting the Stage for the Next Wave of Distributed App Development - November 21, 2019
- ArcBlock Partners with Ride-Sharing Service GoFun to Develop Services and DApps on Blockchain - November 20, 2019
- Hacktivist Phineas Fisher Cracks Cayman National Bank and Trust – Offers $100,000 Bitcoin/Monero Bounty To Other to Hack Banks, Big Companies - November 20, 2019
- Graph Blockchain to Acquire Shroom Street – Cracking Psychedelics Market - November 20, 2019
- OpEd: Burned By Bitwala – Visa Card Money Gone When Wavecrest Wound Down - November 19, 2019
- Chinese Military Eyes Blockchain Technology for Rewards Programme – Boosting Training and Gamifying System - November 18, 2019
- FinCEN Boss: American Regulators to Strictly Enforce AML in Crypto Industry - November 18, 2019
- Visa’s Rolls Out New Blockchain LucidiTEE – Tackles Concerns related to misuse of sensitive user data, when shared with third-parties. - November 18, 2019
- Utrust Joins Forces with Alternative Airlines for Flight Bookings with Crypto - November 13, 2019
- Dark Web Drug Dealer Pleads Guilty To Using Cryptocurrency to Launder More Than $19 Million - November 13, 2019
- Dutch Police Bust CEO of Blockchain Game Firm, Komodore64 – €78 million Gone? - November 13, 2019