Steemit, the decentralized social media platform where users get paid to post and vote, and it’s, has exploded in popularity in its first month with a 1600% increase in community size since launch. Thus far, the online Steemit community (Reddit-like website) has doubled in membership every week, and the cryptocurrency its users are rewarded in, Steem, has increased its market cap of $7 million to $17 million USD.
CEO Ned Scott said he is blown away by how quickly the Steemit platform is changing the online experience.
“We have worked so hard to perfect Steemit and give anyone an opportunity to make money by creating and curating good content. Based on reactions from experts and testing from our consumers, we knew that the reception would be strong, but Steemit is so much further along than where we thought it would be. In about a month, the market cap of Steem has increased two and a half times, page sessions have jumped by nearly six times, and the Steemit Blockchain is now seeing twelve transfers, posts or votes every minute on average. These are phenomenal numbers and we are excited that our growing community is engaging in a fun and potentially lucrative social medium.”
Steemit is powered by an open source Blockchain called Steem, and its users are rewarded when they submit their blog posts or vote on articles, images and commentary that become popular. Users are paid half in “Steem Power,” a token that supercharges voting power, and half with Steem Dollars, a token worth about one USD. Currently, there are over 100 posts valued at $2000 worth of Steem, and the top 20 posts have an average payout of a combined $8,500 for posters and voters.
“Due to the increased number of entrepreneurs building social media apps integrating with Steemit and the Steem Blockchain, we are proud to announce that we are open-sourcing the code for the Steemit web wallet and social media interface. We are seeing incredible demand from early adopters and innovators bridging the technology to other social platforms such as Reddit, Twitter and WordPress. Having our technology freely available will empower entrepreneurs to extend upon the Steem Blockchain and further revolutionize how social media can reward users and creators,” Scott added.
Since Steemit’s launch, its most popular topics include politics, technology and cryptocurrency, as well as ‘introduceyourself’, news, art and comedy.
Across the entire site, there has been a ten-fold increase in posts per day, as well as a ten-fold increase in votes per day. Due to popular demand, Steemit has integrated with a cryptocurrency exchange, BlockTrades, to allow users to purchase Steem Power with Bitcoin directly from their online account.
“The Steem Blockchain will be rewarding all Steemit users for their contributions on July 4, distributing 10% of its total token supply,” Scott said.
To sign up or learn more about Steemit, visit Steemit.com
- eToro Acquires Smart Contract Infrastructure Provider Firmo - March 25, 2019
- UPS to work with Blockchain Company Inxeption - March 25, 2019
- Kik’s Kin Cuts Deal with MadLipz and its 40m Short Form Video Creators - March 21, 2019
- Former Prime Minister of Denmark Joins Blockchain Identity Project Concordium as Strategic Advisor - March 20, 2019
- US National Pork Board and RIPE.IO Partner to Improve Sustainability, Quality, Traceability, Waste and Fraud in the Industry - March 20, 2019
- Sumner Global Launches $100M Securitized Token Offering (STO) in Middle East - March 20, 2019
- Editorial: The Rumours of ICOs’ Death Have Been Greatly Exaggerated - March 18, 2019
- French NCC Deploy IBM Blockchain For Commercial and Corporate Registries - March 15, 2019
- Bcause, To Launch Full-stack Cryptocurrency Ecosystem On Nasdaq - March 13, 2019
- SEC – Ethereum is Not a Security - March 13, 2019
- US Treasury Sanctions One of Russia’s Biggest Commercial Banks Over Backing of Venezuela’s Cryptocurrency, Petro - March 13, 2019
- Fetch.AI Solves ‘Blockchain Trilemma’ with Novel Approach to Reaching Consensus - March 13, 2019
- Boerse Stuttgart Group Cut Deal with solarisBank to Develop Crypto Trading Platform - March 12, 2019
- ECCU Plans to Issue World’s First Blockchain-Based Central Bank Digital Currency in the Caribbean - March 12, 2019
- Blockchain Video Company Linius Connects Prototype to Blockchain-Centric Video Player - March 12, 2019
- Emaar, One of the World’s Largest Property Companies, Plans Loyalty and Referral Token - March 11, 2019
- European Commission Offering 32 Blockchain Startups €200.000 Equity-Free Cash for Citizen Data Control Decentralised Solutions - March 11, 2019
- One of World’s Largest Asset Managers ($2.46 trillion) Fidelity, Launches Bitcoin Service - March 11, 2019
- eToro Officially Launches Crypto Trading Platform & Wallet in the U.S. - March 7, 2019
- Smilo Platform Launches Mainnet – Decentralized, GDPR compliant, Hybrid, Multipurpose - March 7, 2019