Steemit, the decentralized social media platform where users get paid to post and vote, and it’s, has exploded in popularity in its first month with a 1600% increase in community size since launch. Thus far, the online Steemit community (Reddit-like website) has doubled in membership every week, and the cryptocurrency its users are rewarded in, Steem, has increased its market cap of $7 million to $17 million USD.
CEO Ned Scott said he is blown away by how quickly the Steemit platform is changing the online experience.
“We have worked so hard to perfect Steemit and give anyone an opportunity to make money by creating and curating good content. Based on reactions from experts and testing from our consumers, we knew that the reception would be strong, but Steemit is so much further along than where we thought it would be. In about a month, the market cap of Steem has increased two and a half times, page sessions have jumped by nearly six times, and the Steemit Blockchain is now seeing twelve transfers, posts or votes every minute on average. These are phenomenal numbers and we are excited that our growing community is engaging in a fun and potentially lucrative social medium.”
Steemit is powered by an open source Blockchain called Steem, and its users are rewarded when they submit their blog posts or vote on articles, images and commentary that become popular. Users are paid half in “Steem Power,” a token that supercharges voting power, and half with Steem Dollars, a token worth about one USD. Currently, there are over 100 posts valued at $2000 worth of Steem, and the top 20 posts have an average payout of a combined $8,500 for posters and voters.
“Due to the increased number of entrepreneurs building social media apps integrating with Steemit and the Steem Blockchain, we are proud to announce that we are open-sourcing the code for the Steemit web wallet and social media interface. We are seeing incredible demand from early adopters and innovators bridging the technology to other social platforms such as Reddit, Twitter and Wordpress. Having our technology freely available will empower entrepreneurs to extend upon the Steem Blockchain and further revolutionize how social media can reward users and creators,” Scott added.
Since Steemit’s launch, its most popular topics include politics, technology and cryptocurrency, as well as ‘introduceyourself’, news, art and comedy.
Across the entire site, there has been a ten-fold increase in posts per day, as well as a ten-fold increase in votes per day. Due to popular demand, Steemit has integrated with a cryptocurrency exchange, BlockTrades, to allow users to purchase Steem Power with Bitcoin directly from their online account.
“The Steem Blockchain will be rewarding all Steemit users for their contributions on July 4, distributing 10% of its total token supply,” Scott said.
To sign up or learn more about Steemit, visit Steemit.com
- Token Taxonomy Workshop – - January 24, 2020
- Deloitte Bullish on Libra Project in New Report - January 22, 2020
- Busted: SEC Charges Blockchain Marketplace Founder Sergii “Sergey” Grybniak for Fraudulent ICO 2017 - January 22, 2020
- DC Blockchain Advocacy Group US Chamber of Digital Commerce Supports Telegram Vs. SEC Case - January 22, 2020
- BIS Forms New Central Bank Think Tank to Assess National Cryptocurrencies - January 22, 2020
- Bank of England Pondering National Cryptocurrency - January 22, 2020
- Infamous Online Gaming Community Clanbase to Relaunch With Blockchain Technology in 2021 - January 21, 2020
- Chainalysis: 2019 Saw More Cryptocurrency Hacks – Total Amount Stolen From Exchanges Dropped To $283 Million - January 21, 2020
- J. Christopher Giancarlo, former Chairman of the US Commodity Futures Trading Commission - January 21, 2020
- Ethereum Classic Labs Donates $1 Million to UNICEF Innovation Ventures - January 20, 2020
- Busted: SEC and U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of New Jersey Files Lawsuits Against Fraudulent ICO that raised $30 million - January 17, 2020
- Kenya Issues Second ICO Warning After Investors Lose €24+ Million Euro - January 17, 2020
- Neufund Wraps Tokenised Equity Crowdfunding Series B with Greyp Bikes raising €1.4m EUR - January 17, 2020
- U.S. Lawmakers Pondering “Crypto-Currency Act of 2020” - January 17, 2020
- New Blockchain-based Visa Token Service Set To Launch in 2020 – Set to Reach $1 Trillion - January 17, 2020
- Germany’s New Shore Invest Launches STO Ship Financing Platform – Tokenised Fractional Ownership - January 16, 2020
- Open Source Luminary Marc Fleury Enters Crypto Arena with Announcement of New Crypto Asset Class and Continuous Token Offering Sale - January 16, 2020
- UN Warns Public Not To Attend North Korea Blockchain and Cryptocurrency Conference 2020 - January 16, 2020
- Fiat-to-Crypto Gateway Solution, Banxa, Raises $2 Million USD Series A Round Led By NGC Ventures - January 15, 2020
- United Africa Blockchain Association Plans to Fire Up Blockchain Adoption - January 14, 2020