Canada’s Central Bank – the Bank of Canada said it is studying and testing the Blockchain technology for possible use in interbank payments. The proof of concept experiment was carried out in partnership with the US R3 CEV Blockchain conglomerate unifying 45 global financial companies, Canadian commercial banks and the operator of Canada’s payment and settlement infrastructure Payments Canada.
Bank of Canada Senior Deputy Gov. Carolyn Wilkins, told The Wall Street Journal, however stressed the bank would not issue digital money and would not conduct tests with public money.
“The Bank’s goal in these projects is solely to better understand the technology firsthand,” Ms. Wilkins said. “Other frameworks need to be investigated, and there are many hurdles that need to be cleared before such a system would ever be ready for prime time.” She added that many central banks are investigating similar questions.
This comes two weeks after Central Bankers at the US Federal Reserve Annual Meeting in Washington DC discussed Blockchain technology– in particular Janet Yellen, the Chair of the Board of Governors of the Fed Reserve, urged her fellow central bankers to study new innovation in the financial industry. Notably, she mentioned bitcoin and Blockchain specifically as innovations that needed to be understood by central banks.
Silicon Angle reported the experimental system also includes a digital fiat currency called CAD-COIN that would be used to transfer payments between banks; under a future system banks would pledge cash collateral in a pool that the Bank of Canada would convert into a digital version with the digital currency then being used as a medium of exchange that could then be converted back to cash.
“One of the bank’s many fintech research projects, discussed earlier this week by a panel at the Payments Panaroma conference, is to build a proof of concept wholesale interbank payment system using a distributed ledger, in conjunction with Payments Canada, R3 and Canadian banks,” Bank of Canada Senior Deputy Governor Carolyn Wilkins said in a statement.“Experiments we are undertaking with DLT, such as this one, are confined to interbank payments systems.”
- eToro Acquires Smart Contract Infrastructure Provider Firmo - March 25, 2019
- UPS to work with Blockchain Company Inxeption - March 25, 2019
- Kik’s Kin Cuts Deal with MadLipz and its 40m Short Form Video Creators - March 21, 2019
- Former Prime Minister of Denmark Joins Blockchain Identity Project Concordium as Strategic Advisor - March 20, 2019
- US National Pork Board and RIPE.IO Partner to Improve Sustainability, Quality, Traceability, Waste and Fraud in the Industry - March 20, 2019
- Sumner Global Launches $100M Securitized Token Offering (STO) in Middle East - March 20, 2019
- Editorial: The Rumours of ICOs’ Death Have Been Greatly Exaggerated - March 18, 2019
- French NCC Deploy IBM Blockchain For Commercial and Corporate Registries - March 15, 2019
- Bcause, To Launch Full-stack Cryptocurrency Ecosystem On Nasdaq - March 13, 2019
- SEC – Ethereum is Not a Security - March 13, 2019
- US Treasury Sanctions One of Russia’s Biggest Commercial Banks Over Backing of Venezuela’s Cryptocurrency, Petro - March 13, 2019
- Fetch.AI Solves ‘Blockchain Trilemma’ with Novel Approach to Reaching Consensus - March 13, 2019
- Boerse Stuttgart Group Cut Deal with solarisBank to Develop Crypto Trading Platform - March 12, 2019
- ECCU Plans to Issue World’s First Blockchain-Based Central Bank Digital Currency in the Caribbean - March 12, 2019
- Blockchain Video Company Linius Connects Prototype to Blockchain-Centric Video Player - March 12, 2019
- Emaar, One of the World’s Largest Property Companies, Plans Loyalty and Referral Token - March 11, 2019
- European Commission Offering 32 Blockchain Startups €200.000 Equity-Free Cash for Citizen Data Control Decentralised Solutions - March 11, 2019
- One of World’s Largest Asset Managers ($2.46 trillion) Fidelity, Launches Bitcoin Service - March 11, 2019
- eToro Officially Launches Crypto Trading Platform & Wallet in the U.S. - March 7, 2019
- Smilo Platform Launches Mainnet – Decentralized, GDPR compliant, Hybrid, Multipurpose - March 7, 2019