A three-day conference held at the Lake of Bays in Muskoka Canada which involved Blockchain advocates, theorists and policy experts held between August 24th-26th, 2016 has resulted in a a new Blockchain Industry think tank the Muskoka Group and a call to action for the Blockchain Industry.
1. THE TIME FOR GLOBAL ACTION IS NOW
One participant noted, “societies are facing a deficit of trust and deficit of opportunity.” We believe people, institutions and industries throughout the world need Blockchain technology and we must do all we can to make it available in every way possible.
2. GLOBAL COMMUNICATION IS CRITICAL
We believe the broad Blockchain ecosystem must come together to expand and advance the way we explain the power and potential of the Blockchain.
3. LAUNCH A CAMPAIGN TO HELP OVERCOME MISCONCEPTIONS
We will collaborate to create a collective and highly sophisticated communications program, or campaign, to help explain the Blockchain and work to clarify many of the misconceptions. As part of this we will take steps to support the Blockchain Trust Accelerator – an organization created and sponsored by New America, The National Democratic Institute and the Bitfury Group.
4. LAUNCH THE BLOCKCHAIN HUB
Don and Alex Tapscott will explore funding launching a GSN “Blockchain Hub.” (See Appendix below about the GSN — Global Solutions Network Program). First is to conduct a research project to inventory, categorize and analyze the current blockchain ecosystem — organizations, networks and individuals. Identify key gaps and outline strategies for moving forward. Second, as with other GSN Hubs, create a set of tools for ecosystem players to understand the challenge of governance and help them self-organize to move forward. Third, to create a comprehensive “network of networks” to help coalesce the community.
5. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE LINUX FOUNDATION
Use The Linux Foundation, specifically the Hyperledger project, which is a good home for blockchain software development projects and best practices, where collaboration makes sense. It provides benefits like its seal of approval, good resources and a good context for effective open source work. The Linux Foundation is also committed to take additional steps to encourage the development of advanced programming talent in the blockchain space. Among other things blockchain courses and projects need to be made available in university computer science programs globally.
6. DEVELOP A ROADMAP AND ACTION PLAN FOR FUTURE GOVERNMENT LEADERS
We will collaborate with others to create a comprehensive Blockchain strategy for government leaders at the municipal, state, federal and supranational level. One participant said “we need actionable efforts that are ‘shovel ready’ for implementation once there is a new administration.“
7. CREATE A STRATEGY FOR BETTER BLOCKCHAIN ECOSYSTEM HEALTH
by refreshing and updating the original Alex Tapscott-authored white paper on “Governing Digital Currencies.”
8. ACTIVELY SUPPORT THE CHAMBER OF DIGITAL COMMERCE
The leading blockchain trade association and multi-stakeholder network, in their efforts in the United States, Canada and globally. The Chamber has founded and launched a series of key industry initiatives including the Blockchain Alliance, the official public-private forum between industry and law enforcement; the Smart Contracts Alliance, which promotes real world applications for smart contracts technologies; and the Global Blockchain Forum, an international initiative developing best practices to help shape global regulatory interoperability, among others.
9. EXPLORE LAUNCHING A SYNDICATED RESEARCH PROGRAM INTO BLOCKCHAIN USE CASES
There is a need for deep research into how blockchain can transform industry, government and society. The book Blockchain Revolution was a great start, and launch pad for ideation, however there is much more to further define and explore. The world needs horizontal research investigating areas such as supply chains, asset tracking, marketing and management. We need vertical research into industries such as banking, insurance, healthcare, retail, manufacturing and government.
10. CONTINUE THIS COLLABORATION
We are committed to continuing our collaboration through the Muskoka Group and expanding it to include any leaders interested in a healthy Blockchain ecosystem. We will develop a mission statement for this group, centering on creating knowledge and engendering collaborations in aid of building a healthier and more robust blockchain ecosystem.
The Muskoka Group was held at Muskoka, Canada at the home of father and son team – Alex and Don Tapscott, co-authors of the book – Blockchain Revolution: How the Technology Behind Bitcoin Is Changing Money, Business and the World.
The 3-day Blockchain meeting included the following:
- Brian Behlendorf, Founder, The Hyperledger Project
- Perianne Boring, Founder and President, The Chamber of Digital Commerce
- Michael Dillhyon, CEO, YouBase Inc.
- Joseph Lubin, Founder, Consensus Systems
- Matthew Roszak, Co-Founder and Chairman, Bloq
- Jamie Smith, Chief Global Communications Officer, The Bitfury Group
- Matthew Spoke, CEO, Nuco
- Christa Steele, CEO, Boardroom Consulting
- Don Tapscott, CEO, The Tapscott Group
- Alex Tapscott, CEO, Northwest Passage Ventures
- Tomicah Tilleman, Senior Partner, Founder of Bretton Woods II, New America Foundation
- Joseph Weinberg, CEO, Paycase
- Pindar Wong, Chairman, VeriFi
- Jim Zemlin, Executive Director, the Linux Foundation
- IOHK Launches Secure Smart Contracts Technology for Cardano blockchain - December 11, 2018
- XYO Network to Launch of Blockchain Satellite on SpaceX Falcon 9 - December 11, 2018
- Algo Capital to Invest In Promising Companies Built on Algorand Platform – Announces $100 Million Blockchain Fund - December 11, 2018
- Stackr Taps into AI For Investment Solutions to Power a New Savings Solution - December 11, 2018
- Walt Disney Company Cuts Deal with Blockchain-fueled PlayGame.com to Bring Games to Southeast Asian Fans - December 11, 2018
- Huobi Releases New Derivative Market On Huobi Global - December 11, 2018
- Ledger Expands to New York City - November 26, 2018
- Genetics Prof. David Haymer Joins DNAtix Advisory Board - November 12, 2018
- Libra Announces Commitment to Support Circle Trade’s Financial Reporting Requirements - November 10, 2018
- Evident Proof, Leading Blockchain Immutable Proof Platform Accept Dash & XRP As Business Adoption Soars - November 10, 2018
- Ethereum Now On Hyperledger Fabric - October 28, 2018
- 8000+ Expected – Blockchain Expo North America Exhibition Announces Expert Speakers - October 26, 2018
- Enjin Smart Wallet Update Will Allow Users To Melt & Send ERC-1155 Tokens - October 26, 2018
- Crypto-Friendly Gallery HOFA Launches in Los Angeles With Qvantum Exhibition - October 26, 2018
- Blockchain Company WePower Announces Plans to Tokenize Estonian Power Grid - October 25, 2018
- Overstock’s Medici Ventures, Buys into Crypto Social Network, Minds - October 24, 2018
- Xfinite to release new Blockchain content platform - October 24, 2018
- Omnitude set to transform enterprise business with the move of its ECOM token to Stellar and the introduction of micropayments to users - October 24, 2018
- Nem, Proximax, And Pundi X Join Growing List Of Sportsfix Sponsor Partners - October 23, 2018
- NEM Foundation’s Founder Lon Wong Becomes SportsFix Chief Technology Advisor - October 10, 2018