OCBC Bank has become the first bank in Southeast Asia to use Blockchain technology in its local and cross-border payment funds transfer services. The use of a payment Blockchain solution will see increased efficiency, transparency and security as well as lower costs and a better customer experience .
A successful pilot payment transaction between the bank and its subsidiaries, OCBC Malaysia and Bank of Singapore, was conducted on 8 November 2016, using a payment Blockchain solution jointly designed by OCBC Bank and local banking payment solutions company BCS Information Systems (BCSIS). With the successful pilot, and after full integration of this payment solution, the BCSIS Blockchain platform will allow inter-bank payments between banks in Singapore and overseas without requiring a payment intermediary. In addition, OCBC Bank will extend the use of Blockchain technology to other financial products and service applications.
OCBC Bank’s latest fintech innovation initiative supports the Monetary Authority of Singapore’s (MAS) vision of a Smart Financial Centre and a culture of innovation within the financial industry. MAS Managing Director Ravi Menon had shared this vision, which is part of the government’s “Smart Nation” initiative, at the Global Technology Law Conference on 29 June 2015.
The two pilot payment transactions were:
- A cross-border funds transfer between OCBC Bank Singapore and OCBC Malaysia
- A local funds transfer between OCBC Bank Singapore and its private banking arm, Bank of Singapore.
Cross-border and local funds transfers using payment Blockchain solution
The benefits of using the payment Blockchain solution:
- Highly secure: The funds transfer data is recorded in the digital ledger which, once encrypted, cannot be modified or tampered with. This keeps the transaction information private and secure, reducing the risk of fraud.
- Faster turnaround time: With the removal of the intermediary and the need for manual processing in the traditional payments setting, the funds transfers are directly conducted between the originating bank and receiving bank in a straight-through process which cuts down processing time. For instance, funds transfers between OCBC Singapore and OCBC Malaysia which typically require up to 1 day could be completed in less than 5 minutes.
- More transparency: With the removal of the traditional intermediary transaction platform, there is visibility of transaction flows between senders and recipients and the transactions can be much more easily tracked.
- Lower cost: The distributed nature of Blockchain’s digital ledger removes the need for centralised institutions (intermediaries) and manual processing, which translates to lower cost.
The successful application of Blockchain, one of the fastest-growing financial technologies in the financial industry, to payment services is another result of OCBC Bank’s commitment to digital innovation. This follows closely the launch of the bank’s open Application Programming Interface (API) platform in May 2016.
“Blockchain technology is the most transformative technology to date. It is set to revolutionise the financial industry and change the way we work. As such, we are pleased to be the first bank in Southeast Asia to have completed a successful trial for applying this technology to make real-time international payments a reality. This is a milestone not only for us but for Singapore as Asia’s financial hub as we pave the way to revolutionising the traditional cross-border payments model. We hope this will be a catalyst for more banks to adopt the Blockchain technology so that, together, we can achieve efficiency and cost effectiveness while delivering more high-value financial services to our consumers.
“This Blockchain initiative continues to build on our culture of innovation at OCBC where we have scored a few firsts: The first bank in Southeast Asia to launch an open Application Programming Interface (API) platform; the first bank in Asia Pacific to enable secure payments via Apple’s Siri and iMessage; and the first bank in Singapore to launch biometric authentication for mobile banking apps, amongst many others,” said Mr Praveen Raina, Senior Vice President, Group Operations & Technology, OCBC Bank.
Mr Ricky Lim, Managing Director of BCSIS, said:
“As a leading provider of immediate payment platforms, we are pleased to partner OCBC Bank in this initiative, as the application of Blockchain technology to payments is a natural evolution in the changing digital banking landscape. This Blockchain solution will not only enable banks to inter-operate seamlessly across their own network, but also with other banks. We will continue to leverage emerging technologies and work with the banks to create superior payment experiences for customers.”
“MAS and the financial industry have worked hard over the past two years to build a thriving FinTech ecosystem in Singapore. OCBC’s initiative demonstrates the vibrancy of our banks in applying innovative technology to complex business problems like cross-border payments,” Said Mr Sopnendu Mohanty, Chief FinTech Officer, Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS).
Blockchain is the enabling technology behind the virtual currency, bitcon, and has been regarded as one of the most transformative innovations to-date. It is essentially a digital ledger which records data and lumps them into “blocks”, which are then securely encrypted and chronologically bound together into a “chain”. The ledger is distributed across all parties within a network, where all parties have to come to a consensus to authenticate the transactions. It is therefore a form of distributed ledger versus the traditional ledger which is maintained by a centralised institution, thus removing the need for a central intermediary.
OCBC Bank is the longest established Singapore bank, formed in 1932 from the merger of three local banks, the oldest of which was founded in 1912. It is now the second largest financial services group in Southeast Asia by assets and one of the world’s most highly-rated banks, with an Aa1 rating from Moody’s. Recognised for its financial strength and stability, OCBC Bank is consistently ranked among the World’s Top 50 Safest Banks by Global
Finance and has been named Best Managed Bank in Singapore and the Asia Pacific by The Asian Banker.
OCBC Bank and its subsidiaries offer a broad array of commercial banking, specialist financial and wealth management services, ranging from consumer, corporate, investment, private and transaction banking to treasury, insurance, asset management and stockbroking services. OCBC Bank’s key markets are Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and Greater China. It has over 610 branches and representative offices in 18 countries and regions. These include the more than 330 branches and offices in Indonesia under subsidiary Bank OCBC NISP, and 110 branches and offices in Hong Kong, China and Macau under OCBC Wing Hang. OCBC Bank’s private banking services are provided by its wholly-owned subsidiary Bank of Singapore, which operates on a unique open-architecture product platform to source for the best-in-class products to meet its clients’ goals. OCBC Bank’s insurance subsidiary, Great Eastern Holdings, is the oldest and most established life insurance group in Singapore and Malaysia. Its asset management subsidiary, Lion Global Investors, is one of the largest private sector asset management companies in Southeast Asia.
- Zug, Switzerland, To Pilot Blockchain-Based Voting Pilot - June 30, 2018
- UC Berkeley Opens New Blockchain Lab – Steve Chen Appointed to Co-Lead Newly Formed Berkeley Blockchain Lab - December 10, 2017
- Peter Vessenes Announces Deluge Network To Support a Safe and Direct Way to Contribute Bitcoin Directly to ICOs - December 5, 2017
- EXMO Launches Token Sale with Blockstarter’s ICO Solution - December 5, 2017
- AdHive, A Blockchain-Based Native Advertising Platform, Engages with WINGS DAO Platform - December 5, 2017
- Perkins Coie Adds SEC Attorney in San Francisco with Fintech and Blockchain Experience - December 5, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Monero Announces Breakthrough Online Shopping Initiative Featuring Top Global Artists’ Music and Merchandise - December 5, 2017
- Bitcoin for a ‘bit’ of Caribbean paradise - December 5, 2017
- With the Launch of SunCoin, Solar Bankers Takes On the World’s Energy Giants - December 4, 2017
- Blockchain News Is Merging With Token Report - November 30, 2017
- Mira launches Pre-ICO for Mira – an Easy and Convenient Way to Buy, Store and Send Cryptocurrency - November 23, 2017
- Dash and KuvaCash Partner to Fight Inflation in Zimbabwe with Cryptocurrency - November 22, 2017
- INS Ecosystem Partners with Ambrosus to Overhaul the Grocery Supply Chain - November 22, 2017
- Global Debt Registry Unveils Collateral Pledge Blockchain Proof of Concept - November 22, 2017
- Ripple Appoints Former New York State Superintendent of Financial Services Benjamin Lawsky to Its Board and Ron Will as CFO - November 22, 2017
- Advised by the Co-Founders of YouTube and Twitch, Theta Announces a Blockchain-based Video Delivery Network - November 22, 2017
- Modex adds top advisor from Google ahead of ICO - November 22, 2017
- Decentralized Ad Exchange AdEx Partners with INK to Handle the World’s First Blockchain-based Ad Auction - November 22, 2017
- Zilliqa Lowers Funding Cap Despite Heavy Demand from Investors - November 22, 2017
- Health Startup Etheal Combines Blockchain Technology with Micro-Incentives to Build a Peer-Reviewed Global List of Health Professionals - November 22, 2017
- Bitquence Rebrands as Ethos.io, Charting a Course to Unlock Crypto and the Future of Investment for the Masses - November 22, 2017
- Eidoo Introduces User Friendly ICO Engine – Allowing Crypto Startups To Launch And Manage Their Own ICOs For Fundraising On The Blockchain - November 22, 2017
- Simdaq Launches Social Platform for Democratisation and Development of Cryptocurrency Trading - November 22, 2017
- Gameflip Shatters FLIP Pre-Sale Goals, Sets Sights on December 4, 2017 ICO - November 22, 2017
- Golden Alliance Gold Mining Launches Token Sale - November 22, 2017
- Genaro and Storj Labs Announce Collaboration and Product Integration - November 22, 2017
- Metal (MTL) Now Available on the Chinese Cryptocurrency Exchange - November 22, 2017
- Mark.space & Jaguar Land Rover Announce Cooperation - November 22, 2017
- Exscudo – EON Testnet Was Successfully Updated - November 22, 2017
- Valorem Foundation Launches All-new Cryptocurrency Platform - November 22, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 22, 2017
- Brave expands Basic Attention Token platform to YouTube - November 22, 2017
- Narrative Launches Blockchain Based Social Network That Puts Revenue In Your Pocket, Not Mark Zuckerberg’s - November 22, 2017
- Gladius Uses Blockchain and Spare Bandwidth to Revolutionize Cyber Security - November 22, 2017
- Indorse Announces Partnership with App Store Cryptocurrency, AppCoins, ahead of MVP Launch - November 22, 2017
- Secutix And The Paléo Festival Nyon Announce The Success Of Their Blockchain Pilot Project - November 22, 2017
- ING launches major addition to blockchain technology: Zero-Knowledge Range Proof solution - November 22, 2017
- Cofound.it Announces Teams Participating in Upcoming Live Crowdsale Event - November 22, 2017
- PUBLIQ goes public: The blockchain and AI company that fights fake news announces the start of its Initial Token Offering - November 22, 2017
- Blockchain for Business SophiaTX Reveals New Details of Platform; Confirms Date for Token Generation Event - November 22, 2017
- BCShop.io Launches Partner Program - November 22, 2017
- World’s First Social Entrepreneurship Platform Moms Avenue Challenges Etsy by Gearing Up With Blockchain - November 21, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 20, 2017
- Pundi X integrates NEM blockchain to Bring Cryptocurrency Payments Into Retail Stores - November 20, 2017
- Fujitsu Develops Security Technology to Safely Connect Blockchains - November 20, 2017
- Jibrel Network Announces a Highly Successful Pre-sale Round - November 20, 2017
- KRAFTWERK on Blockchain - November 20, 2017
- MintHealth: Empowering Patients to Take Control of their Health and Data via Blockchain Technology - November 20, 2017
- IBM Completes PoC Of Blockchain-based Shared KYC With Deutsche Bank, HSBC, MUFG And Cargill, IBM Treasuries - November 20, 2017
- LetsEnhance.io to process images on Neuromation Platform - November 20, 2017