Blockchain consortium R3 CEV has only managed to pique the interest of its member banks to invest $59 million in the company’s first funding round, less than half its overall target, a person close to the deal told Reuters on Friday.
R3, a New York-based startup, is seeking to raise $150 million from its members and strategic investors to fund its activities focused on developing blockchain-based technology for the financial services sector.
Of those original members, 36 have expressed indications of interest through stakes ranging from $3.5 million to $1 million each, the person said, declining to be named because the fundraising is private.
It had originally sought to raise $200 million, offering prospective investors a 90 percent stake in a new entity it would have run but restructured the deal to $150 million in return for a 60 percent stake in itself.
But now with Goldman Sachs and Santander pulling out of R3 along with some others staying in but declining to invest, the Corda project will be running on half tank and a little leaner than they expected.
Corda’s current development team consists of:
- CTO Richard Gendal Brown, formerly the executive architect for banking innovation at IBM.
- Chief engineer James Carlyle, the former chief engineer for personal and corporate banking architecture at Barclays.
- Lead platform engineer Mike Hearn, an ex-senior software engineer at Google and one of the first bitcoin users.
- Architecture consultant Ian Grigg, inventor of the Ricardian Contract and co-inventor of triple entry accounting.
- Head of research Tim Swanson, market researcher who has authored a study on bitcoin.
- U.S. Lawmakers Pondering “Crypto-Currency Act of 2020” - January 17, 2020
- New Blockchain-based Visa Token Service Set To Launch in 2020 – Set to Reach $1 Trillion - January 17, 2020
- Germany’s New Shore Invest Launches STO Ship Financing Platform – Tokenised Fractional Ownership - January 16, 2020
- Open Source Luminary Marc Fleury Enters Crypto Arena with Announcement of New Crypto Asset Class and Continuous Token Offering Sale - January 16, 2020
- UN Warns Public Not To Attend North Korea Blockchain and Cryptocurrency Conference 2020 - January 16, 2020
- Fiat-to-Crypto Gateway Solution, Banxa, Raises $2 Million USD Series A Round Led By NGC Ventures - January 15, 2020
- United Africa Blockchain Association Plans to Fire Up Blockchain Adoption - January 14, 2020
- Thai Actor and Victim’s Bitcoin Buddy Implicated in Kidnapping and Ransom of Singaporean National in Thailand - January 14, 2020
- Securitize Runs First-Ever IRA Investment In Digital Securities - January 14, 2020
- NBA Star Spencer Dinwiddie “Tokenizing” His Contract With or Without NBA Green Light - January 13, 2020
- European Central Bank President Christine Lagarde Says ECB Bullish on Digital Currencies - January 13, 2020
- Canadian Crypto Company Voyager Digital Completes Acquisition of US Registered Broker-Dealer - January 13, 2020
- Cogito, Hong Kong-Based Entertainment Studio, Launches Decentralised Autonomous Virtual Horse Racing Game - January 9, 2020
- Blockchain Bandwagon Company Longfin CEO Settles with US SEC for $400,000 - January 7, 2020
- Winklevoss Brothers Invest in $5 million Seed Round for TaxBit - January 7, 2020
- Securrency Secures $17.65 million in Series A funding round Led by WisdomTree - January 7, 2020
- Measure Protocol Backed with £2m in New Funding for Blockchain-Powered Person-Based Data Marketplace - January 7, 2020
- The Next Wave of Crypto – Traction is Key – And Mobile Mining is Gaining Massive Adoption - January 2, 2020
- Google Reverses Metamask Ban from Playstore - January 1, 2020
- Bankex Launches Token Exchange Engine in Telegram - December 31, 2019