On its way to bringing a much needed change to the Foreign Exchange markets, FXCH Ltd. – the Spot-FX Clearing House, which in July, settled the first FX trade on the Blockchain – is attempting to disrupt again.
The first round of financing of the Irish Startup begins this week with an Equity Crowdfunding campaign on Seedrs.com.
We asked Franck Mikulecz, FXCH’s Managing Director, why the use of Crowdfunding when traditional sources of investment are not in short supply for FinTech in general, and Blockchain implementations in particular.
“First, Equity Crowdfunding epitomises the spirit of Open Source, from which we have benefited over the years. It is a way for us to give back, allowing the crowd – private investors – to join our efforts in disrupting the markets”, says Mikulecz. “Then, you have the buzz that a successful campaign brings to a Startup business. We are trying to lead the Foreign Exchange market out of an impasse, where doing things the way they have always been done (banks settling FX trades bilaterally) is not working anymore. I think Crowdfunding attracts people who want to do things differently. By starting with Crowdfunding, I think we send the right message.”
FXCH is not a student garage Startup with little experience in Foreign Exchange. Some of the founders have worked together for over 20 years, beginning in the FX Futures markets when the NYBOT-Finex set up shop in Dublin in in 1995.
Their experience in Futures is where the central clearing concept bug took shape. A few attempts were made to partner with established Exchanges to offer a Cleared Spot-FX service. But for budget reasons or just cultural differences, it never took off.
Marc Despallieres, Director of APAC at FXCH says:
“When we traded on the Futures pits in France many years ago, we did not realise how advanced the central counterparty model was, the hidden gem behind the exchange’s open outcry system”. “What we are bringing to the OTC world of Spot-FX with FXCH is this streamlined simplicity of a Clearing House. Our usage of the Blockchain reinforces that simplicity with transparency.”
This Crowdfunding campaign is not the only source for the €8.5 million that the company is raising. There are already strategic investors – not VCs – in discussion to participate right after this round.
“Of course we want to disrupt the way the market is structured. But with the support of established names in the Investment Banking, Brokering and Hedge Fund Sectors, and even the possibility of an Exchange, we can establish the Clearing House’s credibility and get a faster consensus around this concept”, added Mikulecz.
Seedrs.com is a British platform that has been particularly successful in FinTech fund raising. It operates via nominee vehicles so all investors, small or large, have the same investment conditions and protection. In addition, HMRC is supporting the Startups movement in the UK with the very generous S/EIS tax credit scheme for private investors (up to 50% tax rebates). With a permanent base in London, FXCH is able to benefit from the scheme.
More info at www.fxclr.com
- Token Taxonomy Workshop – - January 24, 2020
- Deloitte Bullish on Libra Project in New Report - January 22, 2020
- Busted: SEC Charges Blockchain Marketplace Founder Sergii “Sergey” Grybniak for Fraudulent ICO 2017 - January 22, 2020
- DC Blockchain Advocacy Group US Chamber of Digital Commerce Supports Telegram Vs. SEC Case - January 22, 2020
- BIS Forms New Central Bank Think Tank to Assess National Cryptocurrencies - January 22, 2020
- Bank of England Pondering National Cryptocurrency - January 22, 2020
- Infamous Online Gaming Community Clanbase to Relaunch With Blockchain Technology in 2021 - January 21, 2020
- Chainalysis: 2019 Saw More Cryptocurrency Hacks – Total Amount Stolen From Exchanges Dropped To $283 Million - January 21, 2020
- J. Christopher Giancarlo, former Chairman of the US Commodity Futures Trading Commission - January 21, 2020
- Ethereum Classic Labs Donates $1 Million to UNICEF Innovation Ventures - January 20, 2020
- Busted: SEC and U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of New Jersey Files Lawsuits Against Fraudulent ICO that raised $30 million - January 17, 2020
- Kenya Issues Second ICO Warning After Investors Lose €24+ Million Euro - January 17, 2020
- Neufund Wraps Tokenised Equity Crowdfunding Series B with Greyp Bikes raising €1.4m EUR - January 17, 2020
- U.S. Lawmakers Pondering “Crypto-Currency Act of 2020” - January 17, 2020
- New Blockchain-based Visa Token Service Set To Launch in 2020 – Set to Reach $1 Trillion - January 17, 2020
- Germany’s New Shore Invest Launches STO Ship Financing Platform – Tokenised Fractional Ownership - January 16, 2020
- Open Source Luminary Marc Fleury Enters Crypto Arena with Announcement of New Crypto Asset Class and Continuous Token Offering Sale - January 16, 2020
- UN Warns Public Not To Attend North Korea Blockchain and Cryptocurrency Conference 2020 - January 16, 2020
- Fiat-to-Crypto Gateway Solution, Banxa, Raises $2 Million USD Series A Round Led By NGC Ventures - January 15, 2020
- United Africa Blockchain Association Plans to Fire Up Blockchain Adoption - January 14, 2020